Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

32 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Agree. the amount of dead wood - for reasons of not being good enough, being past it and for falling out with the manager - is ridiculous. Thankfully they are all out of contract, except for Wallace Duffy.

I think I'll be having a look at the business the club does in the summer before renewing my season ticket for next season, regardless of where we end up come May. Going to McDiarmid Park, as a home supporter, has been a pretty grim experience for quite a while now and coming from from Glasgow its essentially my Saturday afternoon/early evening I'm giving up to do it. Can think of better, cheaper things to do with my Saturday if this continues.

It's an interesting point. For as much as Tommy has been very successful the football since the about 2016 has been absolutely woeful. We've struggled for goals and our style of football has not been remotely entertaining. I also travel up from Glasgow and you are right it's your whole day. I think I only go out of habit these days. I'm even becoming numb to defeats which is the most worrying thing. I used to be gutted for days. You can feel the apathy in the stands. 

30 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Agree. the amount of dead wood - for reasons of not being good enough, being past it and for falling out with the manager - is ridiculous. Thankfully they are all out of contract, except for Wallace Duffy.

I think I'll be having a look at the business the club does in the summer before renewing my season ticket for next season, regardless of where we end up come May. Going to McDiarmid Park, as a home supporter, has been a pretty grim experience for quite a while now and coming from from Glasgow its essentially my Saturday afternoon/early evening I'm giving up to do it. Can think of better, cheaper things to do with my Saturday if this continues.

So no doubt I will renew my season ticket regardless but it's the away games for me that have gone by the way side up till about 12 months ago I would go to every home and away match and would be quite gutted if I missed a single game. 

Not because we've been shit but personal circumstance has meant money has been tighter so the luxury of away games was cut down. 

I'll get to the point now though. It's basically to back up your point. I thought I'd miss the away games, but very quickly realised I don't as much as I thought I would... Probably for the same reasons you're thinking about your season ticket. The football part itself has not been very enjoyable in recent times. So can absolutely see why you're on the fence about traveling from Glasgow as I'm pretty much feeling exactly the same about traveling from Perth in the opposite direction to support the team. 

It's also for me not about playing some form of attractive football either. I'm happy with the be tight. Team fights for their life is organised and gets a 1-0 win. The problem is now more often than not there's not the same level of determination or anywhere near the same like of organisation either. 

If someone at the club reads this thread - as I'm sure they do as Wright has referenced stuff in his interviews in the past that I've only seen on here - this should be very alarming. 

If you're signed up to messageboards you either follow the team from afar or are passionate supporters of the club - not very many day trippers will devote their time to a site like this - and there's 5 people essentially saying the same thing. I'd assume that we are all season ticket holders or regular attendees and we've all been through varying degrees of shite - Connolly's first division team for some, Clark/Stark in the early nougties or indeed the bottom of the leagues side in the 80s - but it's this now thats making passionate supporters consider whether to carry on committing to a season ticket.

It doesn't help that everything around the club has been unbelievably negative for a year now. Following a football team should be an enjoyable aside, an escape, but honestly St Johnstone has been the biggest source of ire in my life for quite some time. :lol: 

Losing Davidson for 6 weeks is very bad news.

3 minutes ago, Kyle said:

If someone at the club reads this thread - as I'm sure they do as Wright has referenced stuff in his interviews in the past that I've only seen on here - this should be very alarming. 

If you're signed up to messageboards you either follow the team from afar or are passionate supporters of the club - not very many day trippers will devote their time to a site like this - and there's 5 people essentially saying the same thing. I'd assume that we are all season ticket holders or regular attendees and we've all been through varying degrees of shite - Connolly's first division team for some, Clark/Stark in the early nougties or indeed the bottom of the leagues side in the 80s - but it's this now thats making passionate supporters consider whether to carry on committing to a season ticket.

It doesn't help that everything around the club has been unbelievably negative for a year now. Following a football team should be an enjoyable aside, an escape, but honestly St Johnstone has been the biggest source of ire in my life for quite some time. :lol: 

Losing Davidson for 6 weeks is very bad news.

Have to admit that this year's been more downbeat than most, seems like there's been non-stop pish since the summer.

- The Stevie May nonsense and the lack of signing excitement

- Pumped out the League Cup by seaside part-timers

- Estonia

- Losing Gordon to injury and having to endure Wallace Duffy's one-man relegation bid

- Bottom of the table for a big part of the season

- *That* away performane at St Mirren

- Signing over our ground to the old firm (I actually agree it's the right thing to do, but what it signifies is depressing)

- Liklihood of losing our best player, and only real attacking threat

- Breaking news, losing Murray at absolutely critical time in the relegation fight

There are upsides and some bright spots, like the emergence of Ali McCann and Hendry, but overall it's been a miserable season so far. Not enough to question my ST by any means, no chance, but definitely one for those Saints that are inclined to focus on the negatives.

8 minutes ago, Doctor said:

This thread would be more lenient about Wallace fucking Duffys rawness as a professional footballer if he had a more sensible name.

FTFY.

Folk moaning how bad it is just now, wait until next week when Kennedy forces through a move to Aberdeen, Liam Gordon trips over a hedgehog and ruptures a neck ligament, and the club responds by loaning Berra and Main.

Went along to last night's game as an interested neutral and to see our next Cup opponents. 

It was a fairly even game all round with Livingstons knowledge of playing the surface probably the big difference. 

Your 2 centre half's struggled with Dykes all night, he was a real handful. Wouldn't be too disappointed if he decided to play internationally for us. 

Your midfield was a bit overrun at times and you could tell your manager had had enough of things by bringing on the 3 subs together. Tanser coming on down the left at least gave you some width and I thought Wright was a bit hit and miss on the other side. 

Good double save from McCrorie and then O'Hallorans goal bound effort being blocked showed you could've got at least a point on another night. 

Not the worst game I've ever been to but equally far from the best. Interesting to see how the Cup game goes. 👍

1 minute ago, Kyle said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51227555 

Apparently ICT have confirmed that we have signed Jamie McCart on a pre-contract. I don't see it on their website or twitter, so assume Robertson has said something at a press conference?

Same article has Muzz out for 8 weeks.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51227555 

Apparently ICT have confirmed that we have signed Jamie McCart on a pre-contract. I don't see it on their website or twitter, so assume Robertson has said something at a press conference?
The best thing about that report is the opening sentence. "Jamie McCart is set to move to the top flight this summer."
No relegation for us then, we can all relax.

Said it before but the whole rangers* thing killed a lot of interest for me.

Said at the time if/when they returned to the top league I would probably start to question the whole point of it. This coupled with the last couple of years, typified with this summer and what seems like the complete amateurish, complacent and overly negative nature on the running of the club has me really questioning.

This year is my 37th year of having a season ticket, through one thing and another I have not made any games. Those mates I used to go with (4 to 5 of us) like the rest of us have other priorities like family, mortgages etc so rarely go to 'make a day of it'

I do manage to watch on saints TV and honestly, sitting down with a bottle of wine in a comfortable chair watching on the telly, with mates round or conversing with people on social media during the game provides a much better, value for money experience.

This to me seems the future...

Deep down it's no less love for the club and the apathy is deeper than the club.  Scottish football (football in general) is over priced, stale and run for the sole benefit of two clubs which is verging on the criminal.

The 'fight for top six' is boring, who really cares? We made more than the 6 place team in overall revenue last year so other than bragging rights what is there?

A relegation fight is not fun or exciting, it's excruciatingly frightening and a real risk to the future of some clubs ( not that anyone running game care as long as the OF are ok).

Having half your top division literally fighting for their existence leads to the brand of 'at any cost don't loose' football we see which not entertaining....it may be wonderful drama for the OF centric shill media.

Drama however does not equal an entertaining product or a prosperous situation for the game in general in this country.