Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I actually thought the comments from the manager were noticeably different from those about Kennedy, for which he was criticised. 

He pretty much said he didn't think Kennedy would stay and players saying they wanted to doesn't always mean that much.

"It's always good when a player is keen to stay. Matty has been good for us and he's a great lad. But we have been here before when players have said they want to stay. The most recent example is last season with Joe Shaughnessy."

Seems much firmer on Wright. 

Edited by Radford

5 minutes ago, Radford said:

I actually thought the comments from the manager were noticeably different from those about Kennedy, for which he was criticised. 

He pretty much said he didn't think Kennedy would stay and players saying they wanted to doesn't always mean that much.

"It's always good when a player is keen to stay. Matty has been good for us and he's a great lad. But we have been here before when players have said they want to stay. The most recent example is last season with Joe Shaughnessy."

Seems much firmer on Wright. 

I think that is because Wright and his agent have been quite forthcoming. As long as we offer him a decent wedge I think Drey will stay.

11 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

I think that is because Wright and his agent have been quite forthcoming. As long as we offer him a decent wedge I think Drey will stay.

When he initially signed at McDiarmid he was represented by Alan Preston so if that's the same this time round then that would probably explain why his agent is being forthcoming. 

Can't imagine Alan Preston would operate like one of those agents who tells club one thing while doing the total opposite. Particularly towards Saints! It's a relationship that he'd want to keep positive, not just because of his past here but also for a good working relationship for any future deals he could do for clients. 

34 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:
All their fans act like total inbreeds on twitter. Surely they're not all that special?

You just have to have a look at your own Greg Brownling boy to see that every club has wallopers on Twitter

Apologies if this has already been covered, but Steven Anderson now appears on the PFA Scotland "Available Players List".

https://pfascotland.co.uk/Membership-Benefits/player-availability-list/

Has there been any whispers from McDiarmid Park to suggest he's been freed?

The latest update from the Rovers was that a seemingly innocuous injury he'd picked up was much worse that first thought, and he'd maybe only be back fit for the last couple of weeks of the season.

No mention of Anderson at all from the club. If he has been released, us not announcing it would be a pretty poor way for his Saints career to finish.

Edit: unless we've paid up his whole contract, I doubt he'd leave before the end of the season if his loan with Rovers has been cut short. He's already played for 2 clubs this season.

Edited by Kyle

1 minute ago, TommyDickFingers said:

beggars, choosers etc

Just Iimagine the May / Main strikeforce.

123.gif.91dbb29a83522ef493786f53a6274698.gif

We're neither at this point tho. We don't need money, we don't need baldy forwards named Curtis. We do however need a quality defender. Devlin will do, thanks.

23 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Unless he has some particularly bad splinters in his arse from sitting on the bench, then yes.

According to that Transfermarkt website since the 14-15 season he has missed 89 games. equivalent to 2 and a third seasons worth of league games over a period of 6 and a half seasons. Including 4 knee injuries - We thought Stevie May had fucked knees. 

Not sure how accurate the stats of course and it seems this season he's stayed fit, hope he wants to join us and I of course hope he does well! 

Do Aberdeen fans rate him? 

1 minute ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

According to that Transfermarkt website since the 14-15 season he has missed 89 games. equivalent to 2 and a third seasons worth of league games over a period of 6 and a half seasons. Including 4 knee injuries - We thought Stevie May had fucked knees. 

Not sure how accurate the stats of course and it seems this season he's stayed fit, hope he wants to join us and I of course hope he does well! 

Do Aberdeen fans rate him? 

Yeah he definitely had 2 bad knee injuries that I can remember. I don't think he's picked up any fresh injuries since joining Aberdeen though, or certainly not any longer term ones.

If I'm being honest, I don't know what the Aberdeen fans think of him. He always seemed a pretty well rounded defender to me though. Certainly a huge upgrade on Vihmann and Duffy.

Wright has identified a centre back as his number one target. I think Devlin is better than we can otherwise hope for. Beyond that we're probably looking at Berra types, or if we're lucky someone like Darren McGregor.

4 minutes ago, Kyle said:

We're neither at this point tho. We don't need money, we don't need baldy forwards named Curtis. We do however need a quality defender. Devlin will do, thanks.

That makes us choosers, no?

Now I know that I'm reading far too much into the unexpected re-emergence of the ghosts of full-backs past at the weekend, but given how important not losing is going to be in our run of games against the top 5 in the next few weeks, is Tommy toying with a back 3/5?

Zander

Duffy Devlin Kerr Gordon Tanser

Wright Davidson McCann Wotherspoon

May

Could Duffy actually work as a wing-back? Seen no evidence of it but he was signed as a FB not a CB?

Now I'm not endorsing this plan, but neither would I be shocked to see it. 

2 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Now I know that I'm reading far too much into the unexpected re-emergence of the ghosts of full-backs past at the weekend

I'd guess that was so Duffy could play right back before the Celtic game, and possibly to give Booth and Tanser time together, also probably with an eye on the Celtic match.