Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

A few clubs in the same position as us, won't be letting players leave until others come in. Just how it is.

Although there seems to be teams who do it the opposite way it seems. Ayr, for example, are poised to sign two players on loan tomorrow, but havent let anyone of note go this Summer so far.

In other news, Dundee fans reckon they're also after Swanson.

It makes zero sense, yet its what's being said. Can only go on what gets said and a trustworthy Saints journalist, the manager, and player, have all said the exact same thing.
I think the chairman said differently at the meeting but I didnt go so dont have that knowledge.

Randoom, that’s a bit of an odd thing for you to say.@PauloPerth gave an excellent view of what was said at that meeting. Others present verified the point about an agent not even being willing to talk to the club.

3 minutes ago, andrewh said:

Randoom, that’s a bit of an odd thing for you to say.@PauloPerth gave an excellent view of what was said at that meeting. Others present verified the point about an agent not even being willing to talk to the club.

Was that not just a general comment about agents in general though? Rather than Kennedy, I always took that as a swipe at Shaughnessy/Watt type situations.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Was that not just a general comment about agents in general though? Rather than Kennedy, I always took that as a swipe at Shaughnessy/Watt type situations.

According to @PauloPerth Brown made a specific reference to the difficulty of dealing with Kennedy's agent:

On 29/08/2019 at 22:18, PauloPerth said:

He said we will be trying but Kennedys agent will be trying to tout him round the bigger clubs so will hardly listen to us just now

Edited by Mr Heliums

20 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

Fair enough, I've completely missed/forgotten that.

Fair enough, I've completely missed/forgotten that.

That you are prepared to say so is good, good on you for that.
Others can continue their criticism of the club whilst underestimating the role/MO of the agent and overestimating the power of a smaller club like Saints.
There’s a lot the club could do better but they can’t force an unwilling agent to talk early.
As for Tommy’s comments, isn’t it true that he sometimes tells the media something that later turns out to be misleading? Give them nothing, they’re hardly any better than agents.

8 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

The question was asked by a supporter "should we not be looking to tie up the likes of Kennedy and Wright for longer just now?"

Steve Brown answered that Kennedy's agent wouldn't even entertain speaking to them as he'd wait to see what was out there.  He made no mention of whether Saints had actually tried or not.

That was the evening the Stevie May signing was finally sealed, so Brown was well scunnered with agents by that point it seemed.

25 minutes ago, Radford said:

Just to add fuel, McInnes in press this morning talking about how he "kept in touch" with Kennedy's agent over the past 18 months.

Not wanting to intrude on the fermer v fermer bickering, but this just demonstrates that an agent (who gets commission) is more likely to speak to people with bigger budgets to spunk. Other than having more money, it's hard to see what your club could do differently. 

31 minutes ago, Radford said:

Just to add fuel, McInnes in press this morning talking about how he "kept in touch" with Kennedy's agent over the past 18 months.

Same article adds this...

Screenshot_20200117-085150_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f0324430fd9a9e519df1158f6c839bd2.jpg

... wonder who was offered.

7 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Aberdeen could sign ANY of our players if they wanted, it's up to us to be pro-active when we can.

But proactive how? If an agent knows Aberdeen – or any other bigger club – wants to talk, as was the case here, any approach by Saints will naturally be rebuffed until the transfer window is open and Aberdeen have said what they'll offer.  That's – predictably enough – exactly what happened here.

Interesting to see what happens with Drey Wright, who's in a similar situation, but without the form of last year.

4 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

But proactive how? If an agent knows Aberdeen – or any other bigger club – wants to talk, as was the case here, any approach by Saints will naturally be rebuffed until the transfer window is open and Aberdeen have said what they'll offer.  That's – predictably enough – exactly what happened here.

Interesting to see what happens with Drey Wright, who's in a similar situation, but without the form of last year.

If you'd offered a new deal last January there's surely a chance he would have accepted?

I guess the problem is that it's cutting in to last seasons budget.

2 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

If we'd sat down with Matty after 6 months,  asked how happy he was, then offered another year on better terms, tell him to instruct his agent etc. Some will sign on, others won't but if you can convince 50% of your best signings then your onto a winner. Pro-active thinking? 

This obviously only applies to decent players by the way.

2 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

If you'd offered a new deal last January there's surely a chance he would have accepted?

I guess the problem is that it's cutting in to last seasons budget.

Also, while you've got Tommy Wright talking about how:

“Matty had been in the wilderness. He came here, enjoyed his football and the time for us to strike would have been last year.

“Last January would have been the time to sit down with him and get him signed up on a longer contract."

This time last January the club was announcing Michael O'Halloran.

I wouldn't presume to know Saints budget but I'd have thought that there would be a trade off at some point. Either you "protect the assets" at the club and prioritise that by dishing out extensions or you bring in more "jewels".

Which isn't to say you can't do both but bringing in higher profile signings that the manager has targeted like MOH and Stevie May presumably restricts your ability to offer and secure extensions to players already at the club.

As @tree house tam says in the post above the key part is actually having a dialogue with the player and his rep and working out what their thoughts are. Some you'll win & some you'll lose but it at least gives you some sort of scope to plan.

Edited by capt_oats