Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Why would he be in a rush to leave one relegation threatened side for one in an even worse position? 

Hearts wont be able to offer a wage that blows Aberdeen away, so I'm not sure why people are thinking they're some huge draw. 

I'm not encouraging it.

You seem to be suggesting what Hearts are doing is totally pointless, I just pointed out what they're trying to achieve.

11 minutes ago, Widge said:

I asked a Camry supporting mate about both and both times he simply laughed and said we could do better. Rooney is by all accounts a red card waiting to happen and McCart whilst decent is regarded as worse than Donaldson.

I think McCart is left sided and is more likely to be happy to at least start with us as a back up. Gordon, Kerr and whoever the experienced defender is could well be at the club when he arrive so it'll a difficult start for anyone coming in.

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Why would he be in a rush to leave one relegation threatened side for one in an even worse position? 

Hearts wont be able to offer a wage that blows Aberdeen away, so I'm not sure why people are thinking they're some huge draw. 

I don't think they are Random. I think the general consensus is that Hearts makes very little sense for Kennedy unless it comes down to guaranteed starts or crazy cash with a relegation bail-out clause. Even then, we don't want their players and would need a massive sum in compensation for early release because it hugely increases our chance of relegation as it only really makes sense for Hearts if be leaves now. 

Aberdeen is by far the least worst option, not least becuase they seem less bothered about waiting until the end of the season. 

I honestly don't see that people are saying they are comparable. To me the Hearts deal is just noise, but stranger things have happened in football. 

Edited by Valentino Bolognese
Edit : there may be some value in a sell-on clause for Saints if he goes to Hearts but that would be a mad reason to let him go to a direct relegation competitor.

11 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

You seem to be suggesting what Hearts are doing is totally pointless

It is. Whatever they offer the club doesnt affect Kennedy in the slightest. 

From the outside it doesn't make any sense in St Johnstone this window especially to Hearts.

I suppose one option is trying the deal Livingston did do get Dykes. Small nominal fee and an immediate loan back. Aberdeen might go for this to prevent him going to Hearts.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You're being deliberately difficult here.

I've agreed the power sits with Kennedy ultimately. Hearts are trying to influence his decision by forcing him to choose now. How much of an impact that has only Kennedy will know.

St Johnstone accepting a January bid changes the dynamic here, I'm not sure why you refuse to accept that. 

They may offer him a fortune and also promise they will spend loads in January to get them out of where they are. I know you said they won’t be able to blow Aberdeen out of the water and while that looks the case none of really ever know what’s in contracts. Might offer him a lump sum signing on fee for example. I know most of that looks unlikely but I wouldn’t dismiss anything out of hand.

4 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

From the outside it doesn't make any sense in St Johnstone this window especially to Hearts.

I suppose one option is trying the deal Livingston did do get Dykes. Small nominal fee and an immediate loan back. Aberdeen might go for this to prevent him going to Hearts.

That would only make sense if there was any real possibiliy of him going to Hearts. 

I don’t think anyone at saints will bemoan Matty Kennedy a move to Aberdeen, it makes sense for him, higher wage, bigger team, etc. I think people would begrudge him a move to Hearts given their position and current issues.

Either way, whilst Kennedy is a key player for us, the obvious replacement this Wotherspoon, who when played wide left tends to score and create just as much as Kennedy. The only thing you lose is that little bit of pace. Whilst he’s our best player right now, I don’t think he’s the most important to the team. I’ll be gutted if he leaves and he’s genuinely a player worth watching, but in terms of output, he could almost certainly be better.

He’s a typical winger, you just need to look at the County game, where he got zero change off of Foster and didn’t beat him once for pace or skill. Albeit he did put in one great cross that we scored from, but that came from deep.

Both Rooney and McCart would struggle in the Prem in my opinion. Rooney was roasted in the Scotiish Cup Semi when up against Jake Mulraney who really isn't very good. Hes not bad going forward but pretty awful defensively. Theres not much between Donaldson and McCart, both are liable to a silly mistake every game. If McCart did the simple things all the time he could be a player but too many times he tries to be fancy and fucks it up. 

Is it just me or is the media making a mountain out of this alleged Berra offer to Saints for Kennedy as for me it looks like its just a no go regardless of what Saints think. 

If Kennedy has indeed signed a binding (yes I know, fuckin' Dick Brittian) contract with Aberdeen for the summer onward surely it doesn't make any difference if we want to accept an offer from Hearts for him to move there now. Hes agreed terms elsewhere already. 

30 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Is it just me or is the media making a mountain out of this alleged Berra offer to Saints for Kennedy as for me it looks like its just a no go regardless of what Saints think. 

If Kennedy has indeed signed a binding (yes I know, fuckin' Dick Brittian) contract with Aberdeen for the summer onward surely it doesn't make any difference if we want to accept an offer from Hearts for him to move there now. Hes agreed terms elsewhere already. 

It seems he's verbally agreed to join Aberdeen but hasn't signed anything as yet. It's probably why hearts are trying to push through a deal before its done.

9 minutes ago, Kyle said:

It seems he's verbally agreed to join Aberdeen but hasn't signed anything as yet. It's probably why hearts are trying to push through a deal before its done.

It would have to be one hell of an offer for Matty to renegue on an accepted verbal offer from the sheep to go to a bottom of the table club, and also somehow convince Saints to let him go. 

I would have thought that they would have been able to source decent talent if they have such deep pockets, but I would think that they are putting as much of a premium on weakening the opposition as they are strengthening their own hand.

Absolutely desperate stuff, but understandably trying to buy thier way out of relegation as we all predicted some time ago. 

1 hour ago, SteveAn said:

Both Rooney and McCart would struggle in the Prem in my opinion. Rooney was roasted in the Scotiish Cup Semi when up against Jake Mulraney who really isn't very good. Hes not bad going forward but pretty awful defensively. Theres not much between Donaldson and McCart, both are liable to a silly mistake every game. If McCart did the simple things all the time he could be a player but too many times he tries to be fancy and fucks it up. 

McCart will be coming in to compete with Gordon and Kerr and will be an upgrade on Madis Vihmann so that's about all we need - a player with the potential to be a top flight player who can hopefully iron out the unncecessary fancy stuff.

Your assessment of Rooney concerns me more. We've not been blessed with a good right back this season so hopefully he will be an improvement on him even if he's not great.

Assuming we actually get them. No doubt Motherwell are waiting in the wings again.

15 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Hearts strike me as the type of team to offer him a daft get out clause in the event of relegation to push it through.

I can see that happening but then you get into the realms of perverse incentives. Depending on the length / terms of the contract, you could get to a position where as a player it's almost better to get relegated or at least it makes no odds, and with a release clause as well it would leave him a free agent. That would be utterly hilarous to see Matty swan off to the Hearts relegation party, pick up a big payday and end up back at either Aberdeen or even Saints next year. 

Being selfish the 'sign a contract now and immediately loan back' model would, I think, be a good option for all parties if we're allowed another loan from a premiership team (not sure that we are, Random's usually on top of the regulations). 

Edited by Valentino Bolognese
Spelling