Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

16 minutes ago, Radford said:

Moving forward, they maybe need to reserve part of the annual budget for the January window. 

Is this not what has gotten us in this mess in the first place? No budget left then we bring in MOH, Swanson etc when they become available,  it just leaves us needing to get rid before we bring in.

Fair fucks when it works but when it doesn't...

I know you said leave part of that years budget by the way before you pull me up.

Edited by tree house tam

The simple fact is we need signings in this window. With the current group we're reliant on two teams being worse than us over the next 5 months.

Can fully understand the club not wanting to spend any more money on the squad incase we do and end up relegated anyway, but at least it gives you a chance. 

I still think it's quite likely we end up unable to shift anyone (it totally bewilders me why Vihmann is still around). In that scenario we'd be taking a massive risk by not bringing folk in, IMO.

Off the back of Robert Thomson voicing his opinion that Kennedy could have played his last game for Saints, Scott Burns suggesting Aberdeen will try for a swap deal. 

This makes little sense to me. A short-term loan to develop an Aberdeen player on top of them getting our most effective attacker now, or them getting a player they don't want off the books? 

Even if you flip it in favour of Saints (i.e. saying we want a specific player) why would Aberdeen let someone they want go in exchange for a player they already have committed for next season. 

What sort of names (and deals) would interest folk? 

15 minutes ago, Radford said:

What sort of names (and deals) would interest folk? 

Nobody in their squad that's struggling for a game. Wouldn't massively be surprised if we were interested in Main or Wright but neither inspiring.

9 minutes ago, Broon_100 said:

Nobody in their squad that's struggling for a game. Wouldn't massively be surprised if we were interested in Main or Wright but neither inspiring.

Think it would be a stretch but Bruce Anderson for the rest of the season on loan in return for releasing Matty early?

Probably too much of a risk for Dons because injured Cosgrove leaves what, Main? Unless he's planning on playing Kennedy as a striker which let's be honest would surprise nobody. 

Edited by Valentino Bolognese
Edit forgot about Wilson

1 minute ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Think it would be a stretch but Bruce Anderson for the rest of the season on loan in return for releasing Matty early?

Probably too much of a risk for Dons because injured Cosgrove leaves what, Main? Unless he's planning on playing Kennedy as a striker which let's be honest would surprise nobody. 

I'd rather we played Hendry to be honest. We've got a young striker with an eye for goal making appearances from the bench already. Arguably making more impact than Anderson. Anderson coming will only reduce his minutes on the pitch benefiting only him and Aberdeen.

2 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

See, that's the sort of one that makes no sense to me. Would you rather have Kennedy or Anderson on loan? We still hold the better hand here, he's our player. 

Anderson permanent, maybe, if the manager rates him. 

8 minutes ago, Broon_100 said:

I'd rather we played Hendry to be honest. We've got a young striker with an eye for goal making appearances from the bench already. Arguably making more impact than Anderson. Anderson coming will only reduce his minutes on the pitch benefiting only him and Aberdeen.

8 minutes ago, Radford said:

See, that's the sort of one that makes no sense to me. Would you rather have Kennedy or Anderson on loan? We still hold the better hand here, he's our player. 

I agree with you both, but to me the question is IF Kenndy is released early and it's a swap deal, who would we take. That's the question I was trying to answer. And is he a better option than Hendry? Possibly not, but I do think we need another striking option and they aren't going to give us a CB. 

The only reason I think we could entertain a swap is if it's (a) part of a fee deal or (b) the signs are Matty will underperform for the rest of the season if he's on a pre-contract. 

I don't think (b) would happen but (a) might. 

The danger with (a) is that we land up with Curtis Main.*

* Happy to eat these words when Main rattles in 10 for us and gets us top 6. 

Edited by Valentino Bolognese
fee not free

Itll seem odd since they're a mile ahead of us, but not sure I'd be too keen on any Aberdeen player who would be leaving them.

Shay Logan would be the obvious one, with the rumours about them signing Stephen O'Donnell and him bein an experienced RB. Scott Wright the only other but hes got a season ending injury. Curtis Main might do a sort of job but hes not going to score more goals, he likely wouldnt even match Hendrys haul so far.

We've no reason to force Kennedy out in a swap deal, as it would neither help us budget wise, nor make us stronger.

24 minutes ago, Radford said:

I'm sure he signed a new long term deal with Aberdeen earlier this season.

6 minutes ago, d31 said:

Players that Dons could be persuaded to part with:

Devlin - loan only

Wright

If your list is right that's all I'd be interested in off of it, assuming Wright is fit enough to actually play this season.

34 minutes ago, Radford said:

No possiblity of Anderson on a permanent deal lads

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

If your list is right that's all I'd be interested in off of it, assuming Wright is fit enough to actually play this season.

Wright will be back soon-ish. Taking part in some training already. I think it's quite possible he'll go out on loan this month.

No possiblity of Anderson on a permanent deal lads

Not sure anyone thinks there is. I think the point that’s being made is a loan is pointless for us and in our position none of the remainder are that appealing,

9 minutes ago, d31 said:

Wright will be back soon-ish. Taking part in some training already. I think it's quite possible he'll go out on loan this month.

He would be worthless to us on loan. We'd spend the next 6 months getting him fit for you though.

Permanent deal would be a different matter but I'd still rather Kennedy.

Wright on a permanent deal and Devlin on loan. Getting the first shot at a decent young player for free who can play in all the same positions as Kennedy and an experienced defender which sorts out our defensive issue short term. 

im not for it but I’d understand letting Kennedy go for nothing if we can negotiate something like that. Otherwise I’d hang onto Kennedy as I’m not sure how we go about replacing him in 20 days, on top of signing a defender and hopefully a striker. 

41 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Wright on a permanent deal and Devlin on loan. Getting the first shot at a decent young player for free who can play in all the same positions as Kennedy and an experienced defender which sorts out our defensive issue short term. 

im not for it but I’d understand letting Kennedy go for nothing if we can negotiate something like that. Otherwise I’d hang onto Kennedy as I’m not sure how we go about replacing him in 20 days, on top of signing a defender and hopefully a striker. 

It's going to end up being Ash Taylor isn't it 😬