Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Just now, craigkillie said:

We've just moved in the opposite direction of limiting them to a single stand after years of being outnumbered in our own stadium, and while it probably costs the club money in the short-term, it has also very clearly boosted the home attendance. 

I dont think you can pass this off as fact when it's based around one of the best seasons you've had in recent memory. Clarke was more a reason for your crowd rise than cutting their allocation. 

2 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Got to fear what will happen if (when) we do get relegated though. I think the attendances may actually be down on the last decade - particularly this season - and that's during a spell of unprecendented success.

Surely the folk who stay away because "we play the same teams every season/top flight is too expensive/boring being mid-table I'll be back when we have an exciting season" will return?...

I will never again go to a home old firm game. Doesn't matter about where I'm sat or what the club has done. 

Being surrounded by a shower of toxicity and all around scumminess is just not worth the joy of seeing saints. 

I therefore think the club should do all it can to milk the OF scum for every penny they can. 

It does suck for season ticket holders, but that's just one of a number of considerations and is ultimately the lesser one. 

The cause of the problem isn't St Johnstone or its board, its the rampant sectarianism embedded into our society which causes the vast majority of the country to support one of the old firm and to act like total c***s when in like company. The club can't counter that so has to make do. 

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I dont think you can pass this off as fact when it's based around one of the best seasons you've had in recent memory. Clarke was more a reason for your crowd rise than cutting their allocation. 

Home attendances against everyone have been up under Clarke, yes, but I'm talking specifically about attendances under Clarke where they had two stands versus attendances under Clarke/Alessio where they had one stand.

Edited by craigkillie

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Surely the folk who stay away because "we play the same teams every season/top flight is too expensive/boring being mid-table I'll be back when we have an exciting season" will return?...

Oh definitely.

They are absolutely not the kinds of people who move from excuse to excuse to avoid attending matches. Nope, no siree.

On a regular Saturday, when there are no external factors at play, Saints usually have between 2,400 and 2,600 home fans this season. Less for midweek games or TV games (i.e. Aberdeen). 

The home crowd for the Rangers game was 1,451. The fact that it's on TV and a crap kick-off time is part of that but then it's the same every time we play them so has to be factored in as a constant. 

I suspect that even if we only dropped to midweek levels for these games, this would be a much harder decision for the board but are they even selling 100 tickets to non-ST holders? 

As someone said, no one will like this choice but I don't see what throwing your toys out and saying you won't be back (at these matches) will do. 

It'll be even more glorious if we can beat them with 7,000 of them having to suck it up. 

17 minutes ago, Radford said:

I think Steve Brown, or maybe Stan Harris, laid out the financial incentive in this at the open meeting a few months? 

I can't remember the figures but, off the back of a fag packet, it will be in excess of £150,000 surely? That turns a small loss into breaking even, or a small profit. 

Proper fag paper maths, but the East stand holds 3600 fans.

Give that to Rangers/Celtic, at £30, and that's £108k. Not sure how many seats we give them in the Main but a guess us around 800, which you take away. So say every game you earn an extra £84k.

If you only get 3 home games against them it's a £252k profit before you deduct policing etc.

Five games at home against them, possible if you finish top half, is £420k.

1 minute ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

Can saints not sell a season ticket next season that doesn’t include old firm games ? 

I reckon our home attendances would be sub 1,000 against the old firm if we did that. I would buy that season ticket and then just watch the games on the tv. As Craig_Killie has said is the case, a big turn off for me is the atmosphere at these matches. 

Surely being patronised by the likes of "DAVIE1872WATP" and "BJK_1690 🇬🇧" should be enough of to have Saints fans questioning the sense of this. I have sat in Rugby Park when it was three sides of Celtic fans, and also when it was officially two sides of Rangers or Celtic fans but they bought a bunch of tickets in the home end. On each occasion it was an absolutely horrific experience which nearly led to violence inside and outside the stadium. I have no idea why you'd actively encourage that.

Our board have had a bit of a disaster of a year, but the decision to limit those tickets is the best thing they've done for the future of the club.

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Home attendances against everyone have been up under Clarke, yes, but I'm talking specifically about attendances under Clarke where they had two stands versus attendances under Clarke/Alessio where they had one stand.

I've no idea why its particularly relevant, considering we cut their allocation in 2012, partly due to fan pressure, and yet still didnt see any increase in home crowds, its now dropped to an unsustainable level in terms of games against them.

Our home support, in numbers, is fucking awful. The club had to increase income somehow.

4 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Oh definitely.

They are absolutely not the kinds of people who move from excuse to excuse to avoid attending matches. Nope, no siree.

Yup.

Absolutely amazed folk think our crowds would rise because we give Celtic/Rangers one stand instead of two. 

Our fanbase is full of greeting wee self entitled c***s who love to cry and moan on social media about every wee thing and why it's so dreadfully unfair. They whip out great ideas like cutting ticket prices in half, or cutting away allocations by 75%, from their bedrooms, as if the club, who run at a loss because the same fans can't be arsed actually going to games, can be chucking away six figure sums on daft wee experiments. 

It's those folk I cannot stand, it's those folk who have ruined it for the rest by forcing the club to do this, yet it's those folk who'll be all over the place ripping into the club and demanding other fans boycott.

c***s, one and all.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Surely being patronised by the likes of "DAVIE1872WATP" and "BJK_1690 🇬🇧" should be enough of to have Saints fans questioning the sense of this. I have sat in Rugby Park when it was three sides of Celtic fans, and also when it was officially two sides of Rangers or Celtic fans but they bought a bunch of tickets in the home end. On each occasion it was an absolutely horrific experience which nearly led to violence inside and outside the stadium. I have no idea why you'd actively encourage that.

Our board have had a bit of a disaster of a year, but the decision to limit those tickets is the best thing they've done for the future of the club.

Time will tell if it's sensible or not - it's officially a 'trial' but it will inevitably be the future now -  but we have to try and keep ourselves competitive somehow. I'm old enough to remember the old firm having 3 stands in the past and it's as you described, even down to old firm supporters popping up in the home stands.

Not ideal but if it's going to give us an extra £250k a season, the hierarchy were always going to go back to that eventually. 

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Our crowd against Rangers first game of the season was miles ahead of any crowd Clarke had vs Rangers (except last game of the season when we qualified for Europe) and that was just after being humiliated by welsh part timers.

Trust me, them getting one stand has a massive impact on the home crowd. Plenty of my mates take their kids to these games now whereas they would never have done so with them having both ends.

5 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

In my experience, watch your home crowd drop even further for these games.

I doubt it, we're at the bare bones as it is. I'd be surprised if there were more than a couple of hundred paying customers most weeks regardless of opposition. 

The club has no choice.