Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

24 minutes ago, nelsjfc said:

You maybe correct actually.

The other two the club made big noises about how long they watched and waited for them though

Those who watched Coulson aren't hired by the club.

Drey Wright was signed through Allan Preston. I'm heavily convinced he was more of a player recommended to us through him and then watched by the manager through various means, rather than us having a scout watching games and recommending him.

It's never worth reading too much into what TW says in the media.

Edited by RandomGuy.

16 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

The gist (if you've no real interest in listening is that the HOR will end up watching players 3 or 4 times before Robinson even gets involved and goes to watch in person. We end up with a shortlist at which point Robinson advises who he wants to go for and it's handed over, presumably to Burrows to negotiate. There's a clear structure in place though.

In a practical sense you can see how it works, you've mentioned it before, if one deal falls through then there's a back-up been scouted. Even recently we lost Dunne for 6 months this season we went out and brought in Bevis Mugabi who was a free agent and has slotted in pretty much seamlessly. I guess you can compare that to your scenario missing out on Gallagher.

I've been mewling about Saints not having this structure for years now, completely baffles me why its ignored as the benefits are massive. With £2m sitting idle in the bank it's not as if we couldn't afford to hire quality in that area too, as it would pay for itself eventually if its done right. 

It wont change though, Robert Thomson spent this Summer, when the hysteria about the clubs scouting was at it highest and the club was feeling the pressure, assuring everyone that the clubs two main targets would come in eventually and it would please everyone, so it's a bit late for him to try and make himself the face of this campaign now. Hes probably got the most exposure of any Saints fan so should have the most influence, but he missed a massive chance to try and force something then, it's too late now for anything to change or have any effect this season now.

Edited by RandomGuy.

This time last year we were reflecting on a 2-0 win at Pittodrie, that had put us 5th, 3 points off 2nd.

Our team that day was...

Clark

Foster - Kerr - Shaughnessy - Tanser

Kennedy - Callachan - Craig - Davidson - Wotherspoon

Watt

Subs used: Alston, Kane

Shaughnessy, Alston and Watt out of contract in the Summer approaching, Foster and Craig approaching the end of their careers. We were safe from relegation and heading for the top half. 

Declan Gallagher and Liam Polworth had both been heavily linked with the club already by that stage, arguably in preparation for the departures of Shaughnessy and Alston. McCann loaned out for experience to eventually replace Craig. A future right back and Watt replacement all that was lacking for forward planning. Ideally a back up for Tanser too.

Ideal position for the manager and scouting staff to get together, and build a list of players to target if the Gallagher/Polworth deals fall through, and a list of LBs/RBs/STs to target. Get everything in place for the approaching Summer, and give yourself a head start over rival sides who are still uncertain about whats coming.

Instead we blew some of this seasons budget on Michael O'Halloran, chucked money at Sean Goss on loan knowing we couldn't afford him permanently, and then signed Cammy Bell and Niall Keown on loan because Steven Anderson wanted first team football. Wallace Duffy is identified as someone to fill the future RB spot.

Since then, we've signed Anthony Ralston on loan, Madis Vihmann on loan, Callum Boooth, Jason Holt on loan and Stevie May, all players who would we wouldn't have targeted before the season ended. Ralston is unaffordable at the end of his loan, Holts wages mean hes likely unaffordable at the end of his loan. Callachan and Craig both been all but frozen out of game time (Callachan 2 league appearances all season (Celtic and Rangers), Craig two league 90 minute appearances all season (Hibs and Kilmarnock)).

A proper plan in January prevents an issue developing 12 months later, its a simple proven fact here. Yet here we are, likely away to repeat the same short term mistakes as we lack a long term plan.

The only reason Robert Thomson is calling Saints out is because he had that wee lover's tiff with Broon. He could've done this years ago but wouldn't have got the scoops he's had, only now is he doing his job properly. If we can all see the way it was going years ago, he can too.

There's a happy medium to running a semi progressive football club, Broons just scared to gamble (he sees it as one, mainly because he's a dinosaur).

If we do go down this season it should be a wake up call.

Looking back we’ve been slowly sleepwalking into this for 3 seasons, Motherwell had a close call and gave massively improved on and off the pitch.

10 minutes ago, mizfit said:

If we do go down this season it should be a wake up call.

Looking back we’ve been slowly sleepwalking into this for 3 seasons, Motherwell had a close call and gave massively improved on and off the pitch.

Even if we stay up it should be a changing point, continue like this, its just a matter of time before we're relegated. If we move forwards, act like a top flight side, then theres nothing stopping us maintaining this for a further decade.

Sadly I feel like Brown believes this is as good as it'll get, so spending money trying to improve is simply wasting money that could be spent short term upon relegation to get us back up.

Edited by RandomGuy.

6 minutes ago, Doctor said:

Read today that Chris Kane and Stevie May have just 3 goals in 41 games between them, can't quite believe that.

Theyve scored 3 between them this season alone.

Both scored 3 goals individually last season.

That is not really anything to boast about.

Not sure it’s a boast, it’s simply pointing out how wrong the previous statement is.

May has got the same number of goals that Watt had for the whole of last season. We knew he wasn’t going to score 15/20, but at this rate he’d probably get 7/8 which is what McLean was managing a season realistically. Now that’s not me saying May is the answer, I was against us resigning him as it was and he’s clearly not the player he was, but he’s not Kane levels of non-scoring.

Not sure it’s a boast, it’s simply pointing out how wrong the previous statement is.

May has got the same number of goals that Watt had for the whole of last season. We knew he wasn’t going to score 15/20, but at this rate he’d probably get 7/8 which is what McLean was managing a season realistically. Now that’s not me saying May is the answer, I was against us resigning him as it was and he’s clearly not the player he was, but he’s not Kane levels of non-scoring.

Of course what really matters is the cost of each goal. £/[emoji460]️

Would Stevie May’s [emoji460]️[emoji460]️[emoji460]️[emoji460]️[emoji460]️[emoji460]️[emoji460]️[emoji460]️ be a good return for what he’s costing us?

How many Chris Kane [emoji460]️ = 1 Stevie May [emoji460]️?

I think the previous poster meant they had 3 goals in 41 joint appearances which is probably pretty close to the truth. It's a very poor return whichever way you paint it. I don't think it's entirely down to them, more the very poor service.

8 hours ago, andrewh said:

Of course what really matters is the cost of each goal. £/emoji460.png

Would Stevie May’s emoji460.pngemoji460.pngemoji460.pngemoji460.pngemoji460.pngemoji460.pngemoji460.pngemoji460.png️ be a good return for what he’s costing us?

How many Chris Kane emoji460.png️ = 1 Stevie May emoji460.png️?

Wouldn't even be a contest, May is probably, easily, the worst "value for money" striker we've signed in a long, long, time so far. 

I don't rate Kane, but its almost impossible to argue May is giving us any more at that stage. If we need to go with a lone striker until January when we can, hopefully, strengthen the defence to allow two up front, then theres no question who should be starting, no matter how depressing that is.

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

I'd like us to sign a different type of striker, one who can finish crosses, one who thrives on bullying defenders. I know that's a hard thing to find...

If you are St Johnstone. 

I think that Hendry might have that in him but he's still pretty raw. Ideally we'd sign someone that already ha that syle of play for him to work with.