Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

3 hours ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:
At least Saints fans travelling tomorrow won't have to endure Jones murdering Comrie any longer. 

There we go, a positive spin to Ralston. 

At least hes not Comrie.

6 hours ago, ali_91 said:

He probably wants first team football, something he shouldn’t be getting in Perth anymore. The fact he would be playing every week currently doesn’t hide the fact he’s finished at this level. 

So much this. Ando would bring his own problems to that defence, in his prime he was a better defender than both Kerr and Duffy, sadly that was years ago. We need fresh blood, preferably a big fucking unit who's been there and did it and not just a name like Dundee got with that Caulker boy. Tommy HAS to get this window right or we're fucked.

6 hours ago, tree house tam said:

So much this. Ando would bring his own problems to that defence, in his prime he was a better defender than both Kerr and Duffy, sadly that was years ago. We need fresh blood, preferably a big fucking unit who's been there and did it and not just a name like Dundee got with that Caulker boy. Tommy HAS to get this window right or we're fucked.

Saints in recent history have tended to get the best out of signings when they're someone who has a point to prove. 

Wright

Sandaza 😕

Morris

MOH

James Dunne.

To name a few that spring to mind off the cuff. 

Likes of Ambrose IMO should be avoided. Does he have anything to prove? Would he care if Saints were to stay up or not? I doubt it. 

So after all that I agree with you. Dundee example of Caulker is one that should be used to learn from and avoid!

Saints in recent history have tended to get the best out of signings when they're someone who has a point to prove. 
Wright
Sandaza [emoji53]
Morris
MOH
James Dunne.
To name a few that spring to mind off the cuff. 
Likes of Ambrose IMO should be avoided. Does he have anything to prove? Would he care if Saints were to stay up or not? I doubt it. 
So after all that I agree with you. Dundee example of Caulker is one that should be used to learn from and avoid!

To be fair, Caulker had much more of a ‘point to prove’ than someone like Fraser Wright did.

A half fit Gordon jumps ahead of a half fit Duffy, and a fully fit Vihmann. 

At least we know at least one player who'll be away in January. 

Booth with a late chance to win a new contract, sure it expires January 1st time? 

24 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

A half fit Gordon jumps ahead of a half fit Duffy, and a fully fit Vihmann. 

At least we know at least one player who'll be away in January. 

Booth with a late chance to win a new contract, sure it expires January 1st time? 

Well if Booth gets his chance he'll want to impress to either get a new deal or get himself a deal elsewhere. 

On 02/12/2019 at 22:12, derek_holmes said:

This is more like it. Worst team, based on 10+ league appearances (to weed out your Dobies and your Beatties) from 2010ish onwards:

G Smith; A Comrie, K Rutkiewicz, G Gartland, W Duffy; J Adams; C Taylor, M Coulson, W Gibson; J Sutton, C Finnigan

Definitely easier to pick wingers and forwards...

I thought Rutkiewicz was well regarded by Saints fans? I loved him, great defender. 

Comrie has been a surprisingly good signing, championship is his level at the moment but with gametime you could see him stepping upto the Premier in a couple of years. 

Rutkiewicz was solid. I recall him having a shocker in a 4-0 away defeat against Partick Thistle when were going through a rough patch of form in 2008 (before Liam Craig's stunner away at Dunfermline set us on the right path again and we ended up winning the league). I think he was playing through illness at the time and it became quite apparent that he wasn't in the right condition to be starting. 

4 hours ago, Grant228 said:

I thought Rutkiewicz was well regarded by Saints fans? I loved him, great defender. 

Comrie has been a surprisingly good signing, championship is his level at the moment but with gametime you could see him stepping upto the Premier in a couple of years. 

Yeah, he was great in the First Division. I hamstrung myself by picking from players who had made more than 10 league appearances (according to Soccerbase) this decade. I was surprised his name was in the mix as I don't really remember him playing after we got promotion (and although a harsh inclusion I think the First Division was probably his level).

Is 10 points from that run achievable I wonder  :eusa_think:

I'd certainly be happy with that given recent form. 

Only game I can make is the St.Mirren one. The result in Edinburgh will have a massive bearing on whether I do go or not. 

4 minutes ago, Trackdaybob said:

Is 10 points from that run achievable I wonder  :eusa_think:

I'd certainly be happy with that given recent form. 

Only game I can make is the St.Mirren one. The result in Edinburgh will have a massive bearing on whether I do go or not. 

12 from that run should mean we just need 12 from the remaining games, which includes post split games. That would be my aim.

I’d take 8/15 on the proviso it’s 2 wins against St Mirren and Hamilton.

I think the Hearts game is potentially a right off given McPhee isn’t likely to be in charge by then. Livingston away is still as tough as they come and let’s face it we’re still fragile to physical assaults. County is a toss of a coin, could go either way I’d say. But the two I’ve mentioned are the big ones, can’t be losing to the 2 teams you’re wanting to cut adrift at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Widge said:

can’t be losing to the 2 teams you’re wanting to cut adrift at the bottom.

I agree with that. Massively important. Six from St.Mirren and Hamilton is an absolute must. 

6 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Hopefully a big support at Tynecastle despite the awful pricing to cheer on the team to our first away win. Important win if we were to get it. 

Good day out etc as well 🍻

Agree that that game might be a write off tbf. Should be Stendels first game with them, Tynecastle will be sold out and rocking, and they have Naismith back fit now.