Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 minute ago, Radford said:

To lighten the mood, are we picking our Team of the Decade? 

Love this shit. Shame the title winning side just miss out.

Squad

Spoiler

Goalkeepers - Alan Mannus

Defenders - Dave Mackay, Michael Duberry, Steven Anderson, Frazer Wright, Brian Easton, Joe Shaughnessy

Midfielders - Jody Morris, Chris Millar, Liam Craig, Murray Davidson, FBLC, Mehdi Abeid, David Wotherspoon, Danny Swanson, Michael O'Halloran, Matty Kennedy

Strikers - Fran Sandaza, Steven MacLean, Rowan Vine, Gregory Tade, Nigel Hasselbaink, Stevie May

Very personally subjective, suspect a lot people wouldn't include. Shaughnessy was a standout for years though, FBLC was quality until he became FBLC, Abeid is the best Saints player technically I've seen in the flesh. Vine/Tade/Hasselbaink were all quality for a year, ripped the league apart for a few months.

Mannus

Mackay - Anderson - Wright - Easton

Wotherspoon - Davidson - Millar - Craig

May - MacLean

Based on what they achieved with the club, rather than outright ability. Based on ability it would be...

Mannus

Mackay - Anderson - Duberry - Easton

O'Halloran - Morris - Abeid - Swanson

MacLean - Sandaza

20 minutes ago, Radford said:

I just can't consider Abeid, he played too few games. It'd be like inducting Claudio Caniggia into your Hall of Fame.

Definitely think you have to strike a balance between ability and what they actually contributed. 

Made it into double figures, and I have a man crush. If the club asked for a vote on it via Twitter/FB, the top team is who I'd vote for.

Theres a video of Abeid being Abeid in France up, I'll put it in spoilers. Boys a superb player and I don't think people appreciate it enough.

Spoiler

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 hour ago, Radford said:

Home lists are dominated by earlier eras, although 2018 pops just outside the top ten in the worst list, 6 wins from 21 games. 

Looked at the combined records by year (including neutral venues) and 2019 makes for grim reading as things stand. 

• 1976: 5 wins from 44 games (11%)
  • 2001: 6 wins from 40 games (15%)
  • 1964: 9 wins from 45 games (20%)
  • 1975: 10 wins from 44 games (23%)
  • 2019: 9 wins from 38 games (24%)

Part of me is slightly disappointed that even if we lost our last 5 games before the end of the year, it'd still be only the 4th worst year in history.

Who the f**k is going to sit there in years to come, wallowing in their own pish, boring the great grandkids with tales of how you were there for Saints' 4th worst year of all time?

I missed the boat with the thread a few weeks ago on worst team but we have fair had some shite, especially up front. When folk criticise guys like Kane, and Cummins before him, you really need to be careful what you wish for. 

I came up with 16 forwards who were a mix of the disappointing, pointless and outright rubbish: Johansson, Dobie, Robertson, Finnigan, Higgins, Keatings, Oyenuga, Riordan, Beattie, Gallon, Iwelumo, Morgan, Sutton, Gormley, Johnstone and McMillan. 

Pick a starting pair out of that lot! 

6 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Who the f**k is going to sit there in years to come, wallowing in their own pish, boring the great grandkids with tales of how you were there for Saints' 4th worst year of all time?

And how we still backed the manager... 

History will look on us as either rewarded for our loyalty or incredibly misguided. 

3 minutes ago, Radford said:

I missed the boat with the thread a few weeks ago on worst team but we have fair had some shite, especially up front. When folk criticise guys like Kane, and Cummins before him, you really need to be careful what you wish for. 

I came up with 16 forwards who were a mix of the disappointing, pointless and outright rubbish: Johansson, Dobie, Robertson, Finnigan, Higgins, Keatings, Oyenuga, Riordan, Beattie, Gallon, Iwelumo, Morgan, Sutton, Gormley, Johnstone and McMillan. 

Was away to say the last two don't deserve to be in that company, then remembered its fucking Denny Johnstone and David McMillan.

Christ.

13 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I'll probably bring it up in conversation, tbf.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Was away to say the last two don't deserve to be in that company, then remembered its fucking Denny Johnstone and David McMillan.

Christ.

They are still finding their way down to their level. 

Taking expectation, pointlessness and complete lack of ability all into the mix, I think I'd plump for Morgan and Gormley, which quite incredibly gets Riordan and Beattie off the hook. But then you have... What a horrible list of shite. 

2 minutes ago, Radford said:

They are still finding their way down to their level. 

Taking expectation, pointlessness and complete lack of ability all into the mix, I think I'd plump for Morgan and Gormley, which quite incredibly gets Riordan and Beattie off the hook. But then you have... What a horrible list of shite. 

Biggest expectations for me were for John Sutton and Scott Dobie, if you can believe that. 

I think you've missed Sam Parkin off that list too, can't even remember if he was shite or not for us, total blank when I think of him.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Biggest expectations for me were for John Sutton and Scott Dobie, if you can believe that. 

I think you've missed Sam Parkin off that list too, can't even remember if he was shite or not for us, total blank when I think of him.

I never expected Sutton to suit us, especially with MacLean still at the club. He turned out as I feared he would. 

Think Parkin was actually a level above the others, probably scored more goals for us than the rest combined. 

45 minutes ago, Radford said:

Interested to see which of this lot were still playing, or what they done after us...

Spoiler

Johansson - Returned to Finnish side TPS and bagged 10 goals in 19 games. Was Assistant to the mad hedge manager Rangers had, then had a brief stint as Morton manager.

Dobie - Retired. Joined York after leaving us then chucked the whole game just a month later. Nice city.

Robertson - Seems to have retired in 2017. Played in the Philippines and Romania before joining the crew in the English lower tiers. Never scored much for anyone.

Finnigan - Currently plays for Whickham in the English 9th tier. Had spells in Botswana and South Africa after leaving, before returning for a prolific spell at South Shields.

Higgins - Player/Caoch at Clydebank. Dotted around the lower tiers, doing nothing, including a spell at Falkirk. Longest spell at Clyde.

Keatings - At ICT. Probably the best of them, spells at Hibs, Hearts, Hamilton and ICT since leaving us.

Oyenuga - Plays for Margate in the English 8th tier. Seems determined to play for ever shite English side I've never heard of. Has played for 11 different clubs in the 7 years since he left us.

Riordan - Last season at Edinburgh City, never played more than 11 games for a club since leaving us. Probably should retire but likely holds out hope of still making it.

Beattie - Seems to be retired, left Elgin in January. Had vaguely successful spells with Dundee, Ayr and Edinburgh City. Had a bizarre stint as a CB for a season or two.

Fallon - Retired. Left us and played increasingly shite lower league English sides, most prolific season was 3 goals. Ended it after one match for Dorchester Town (seriously, this isnt a fake name).

Iwelumo - Retired. Joined Chester but retired after just a few months. Clearly couldn't top winning a Scottish Cup.

Morgan - On loan at Romford, in the English 8th tier. Widnes paid a fee for him then loaned him out two months later. Still mates with Ian Beale. Was released by Colwyn Bay a month after signing as he never turned up for games. Has played for 10 sides in 5 years, 5 of them in 2016.

Sutton - Morton. Left us for St Mirren, where he done what he does. Retired, then came out of it to provide David Hopkin with a big b*****d up front. Still being effective doing big b*****d things up front.

Gormley - Absolutely prolific for Cliftonville. 56 goals in 71 games. Happy for him, potentially right player at the wrong time? Wasn't right mentally.

Johnstone - Falkirk. Not doing much.

McMillan - Falkirk. Not doing much

1 hour ago, Radford said:

This is more like it. Worst team, based on 10+ league appearances (to weed out your Dobies and your Beatties) from 2010ish onwards:

G Smith; A Comrie, K Rutkiewicz, G Gartland, W Duffy; J Adams; C Taylor, M Coulson, W Gibson; J Sutton, C Finnigan

Definitely easier to pick wingers and forwards...

TW outlining Januarys plans.

So far hes wanting just an experienced centre back, and wants two out.

Threatens the rest of the defence there will be more signings if they dont pick up form before January. 

Interested to see which of this lot were still playing, or what they done after us...
Spoiler

Johansson - Returned to Finnish side TPS and bagged 10 goals in 19 games. Was Assistant to the mad hedge manager Rangers had, then had a brief stint as Morton manager.
Dobie - Retired. Joined York after leaving us then chucked the whole game just a month later. Nice city.
Robertson - Seems to have retired in 2017. Played in the Philippines and Romania before joining the crew in the English lower tiers. Never scored much for anyone.
Finnigan - Currently plays for Whickham in the English 9th tier. Had spells in Botswana and South Africa after leaving, before returning for a prolific spell at South Shields.
Higgins - Player/Caoch at Clydebank. Dotted around the lower tiers, doing nothing, including a spell at Falkirk. Longest spell at Clyde.
Keatings - At ICT. Probably the best of them, spells at Hibs, Hearts, Hamilton and ICT since leaving us.
Oyenuga - Plays for Margate in the English 8th tier. Seems determined to play for ever shite English side I've never heard of. Has played for 11 different clubs in the 7 years since he left us.
Riordan - Last season at Edinburgh City, never played more than 11 games for a club since leaving us. Probably should retire but likely holds out hope of still making it.
Beattie - Seems to be retired, left Elgin in January. Had vaguely successful spells with Dundee, Ayr and Edinburgh City. Had a bizarre stint as a CB for a season or two.
Fallon - Retired. Left us and played increasingly shite lower league English sides, most prolific season was 3 goals. Ended it after one match for Dorchester Town (seriously, this isnt a fake name).
Iwelumo - Retired. Joined Chester but retired after just a few months. Clearly couldn't top winning a Scottish Cup.
Morgan - On loan at Romford, in the English 8th tier. Widnes paid a fee for him then loaned him out two months later. Still mates with Ian Beale. Was released by Colwyn Bay a month after signing as he never turned up for games. Has played for 10 sides in 5 years, 5 of them in 2016.
Sutton - Morton. Left us for St Mirren, where he done what he does. Retired, then came out of it to provide David Hopkin with a big b*****d up front. Still being effective doing big b*****d things up front.
Gormley - Absolutely prolific for Cliftonville. 56 goals in 71 games. Happy for him, potentially right player at the wrong time? Wasn't right mentally.
Johnstone - Falkirk. Not doing much.
McMillan - Falkirk. Not doing much

Saw Iwelumo on Celebrity Pointless last week. He was pish at that too.