Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

39 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Only bright spot on a miserable weekend, you clowns are still bottom of the league.

Thank you.

#goingdown.

^^^^ Scrambling for relevance ^^^^

1 hour ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Only bright spot on a miserable weekend, you clowns are still bottom of the league.

Thank you.

#goingdown.

Stop trying to manufacture a rivalry with us. You've a big game with Arbroath to look forward to at the weekend in Tayside's 3rd/ 4th place play-off.

Come back when you've completed the merger with your neighbours and we'll have a proper discussion about a rivalry then.

I was wondering if draws would improve our record from this year in terms of percentage defeats..?

As an aside..

Apparently we joined the Scottish Football League in 1911-2.  Take off 7 years for world war 2 (not sure if Saints played league football through WWI?). Gives us about 108 years of league football.  So roughly:

78 years pre-McDiarmid

30 years at McDiarmid Park

It shows how good life has been for Saints fans since the move to McDiarmid in 1989.  8/10 of our best away years have been since then, whilst only 2/10 of our worst have been since.  Though this year is heading towards being the standout worst.

Are there similar lists for best/worst home years?

Why does he persist in playing O'Halloran up front. He is like a fish out of water. We have 0 goals and 0 assists playing him there. He can only play in one position wide right, that is where he scores and gives assists.

Just put myself through watching the goals back.

The goals we lost from corners weren't even from particularly good deliveries. Just balls hung up at the back post and Motherwell showing some desire. 

Duffy consistently losing his man. Gordon playing in the reserve game today. Although him returning doesn't just solve the problems. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

Gordon playing for the reserves today probably rules him out of the game on Wednesday. May god have mercy on our souls.

Just for funsies, here's the squad list and lengths of contract. Might be some clues in there as to who will be patched in January. Ross Callachan is non-negotiable.

(Ages at whenever it was I made the list)

Goalkeepers

1. Zander Clark (27) -2022

12. Elliot Parish (29) – 2021

48. Max Johnstone (20) -2020

45. Ross Sinclair (18) – 2021 ­­– on loan at Brechin

Defenders

2. Wallace Duffy (20) -2021

21. Anthony Ralston (20) – 2020 – on loan from Celtic

6. Steven Anderson (33) - 2020 – on loan at Raith Rovers

23. Liam Gordon (23) - 2021

15. Jason Kerr (22) – 2022

5. Madis Vihmann (23) – 2020 – on loan from Flora

3. Scott Tanser (24) - 2021

Midfielders

7. Drey Wright (24) - 2020

10. David Wotherspoon (29) - 2021

8. Murray Davidson (31) - 2020 + 1

4. Ross Callachan (25) - 2020

26. Liam Craig (32) - 2020

19. Jason Holt (26) – 2020 – on loan from Rangers

18. Ali McCann (19) - 2020  

33. Matty Kennedy (24) - 2020

11. Danny Swanson (32) - 2020

Forwards

16. David McMillan (30) – 2020 – on loan at Falkirk

9. Chris Kane (24) - 2020

17. Michael O'Halloran (28) – 2021

14. Stevie May (26) – 2021 + 1

22. Callum Hendry (21) - 2020 

That defence doesn't look any better on paper than it does on the pitch. Absolutely dire.

Personally, I'd patch VIhmann, Ralston, Booth Callachan (obvz), Swanson and, if he doesn't improve quickly, Holt. If we can get them off the wage bill, it should allow us plenty of room to bring in some proper experience, a bit of quality and someone who isn't Anthony Ralston at right back.

19 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Gordon playing for the reserves today probably rules him out of the game on Wednesday. May god have mercy on our souls.

Just for funsies, here's the squad list and lengths of contract. Might be some clues in there as to who will be patched in January. Ross Callachan is non-negotiable.

(Ages at whenever it was I made the list)

Goalkeepers

1. Zander Clark (27) -2022

12. Elliot Parish (29) – 2021

48. Max Johnstone (20) -2020

45. Ross Sinclair (18) – 2021 ­­– on loan at Brechin

Defenders

6. Steven Anderson (33) - 2020 – on loan at Raith Rovers

Midfielders

7. Drey Wright (24) - 2020

10. David Wotherspoon (29) - 2021

8. Murray Davidson (31) - 2020 + 1

4. Ross Callachan (25) - 2020

26. Liam Craig (32) - 2020

19. Jason Holt (26) – 2020 – on loan from Rangers

18. Ali McCann (19) - 2020  

33. Matty Kennedy (24) - 2020

11. Danny Swanson (32) - 2020

Forwards

16. David McMillan (30) – 2020 – on loan at Falkirk

9. Chris Kane (24) - 2020

17. Michael O'Halloran (28) – 2021

14. Stevie May (26) – 2021 + 1

22. Callum Hendry (21) - 2020 

That defence doesn't look any better on paper than it does on the pitch. Absolutely dire.

Personally, I'd patch VIhmann, Ralston, Booth Callachan (obvz), Swanson and, if he doesn't improve quickly, Holt. If we can get them off the wage bill, it should allow us plenty of room to bring in some proper experience, a bit of quality and someone who isn't Anthony Ralston at right back.

This is something that crossed my mind recently...

If were to face the drop this season. next season we'd probably see 3/4 of that squad gone. 

Clark, Kerr would be cashed in on. 

Drey Wright & Kennedy would move on. Particularly Kennedy I expect to move on regardless of how we finish this season. MOH would probably be moved on as well due to his wage. 

We may end up losing out on McCann as well. Callahan will move on. 

Swanson potentially would be offered another deal on reduced terms to stay as he's not likely to get a better offer and would probably get more game time. Liam would be keen to stay I imagine as would Muzz. 

Loan signings of course will return to their clubs 

We might see Kane score a goal though... 😬

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

Things will be interesting  next summer I reckon. 10 players on contracts beyond next summer (3 of whom goalkeepers :rolleyes: ) and only two players who can play in midfield.

Current team for next year;

Clark

Duffy Gordon Kerr Tanser 

Wotherspoon ? ? MOH

May ?

4/5ths of that clusterfuck of a defence is signed up for the next 18 months. Good lord.

Of the out of contract players, McCann, Davidson and Kennedy are the only ones I'd consider offering a new deal to right now.

Wright and Hendry should be able to play themselves into a new deal and Craig may get a new deal on the basis of what he brings off the pitch rather than on. The rest? Happy to see them all leave and take our chances on a big turnover of players next summer. 

ShortWellmadeAoudad-max-1mb.gif.9ef415001933d97c4c1986da01ed8765.gif

3 hours ago, Kyle said:

Defenders

Edited by RandomGuy.

21 minutes ago, derek_holmes said:

Tanser as the oldest available defender (other than Booth, who isn't on the list above) is quite something. Not a lot of nous among that lot.

I looked  it up last night and we've seemingly, in terms of combined league appearances, got the second most experienced squad in the league. Wotherspoon, Craig and Davidson doing a lot of heavy lifting.

20 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Are there similar lists for best/worst home years? 

Home lists are dominated by earlier eras, although 2018 pops just outside the top ten in the worst list, 6 wins from 21 games. 

Looked at the combined records by year (including neutral venues) and 2019 makes for grim reading as things stand. 

• 1976: 5 wins from 44 games (11%)
  • 2001: 6 wins from 40 games (15%)
  • 1964: 9 wins from 45 games (20%)
  • 1975: 10 wins from 44 games (23%)
  • 2019: 9 wins from 38 games (24%)

4 hours ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Clark, Kerr would be cashed in on. 

Will anyone want them? Clark is being savaged by these statto types on Twitter who've created some new variable which shows hes been the worst keeper in the league for the past two seasons, while the only publicity Kerr is getting, is that he's out his depth as captain and senior defender. Same with the likes of O'Halloran if you're talking about moving them on, he won't get the same wage elsewhere but probably wants it, so who will take him?

I think all three would have interest, but I'm not convinced it would come to anything unless we sell ridiculously cheap. Kennedy will be gone this Summer no matter what happens, Wright will be off to the first English club that flashes their knickers. Swanson would have to take a massive cut to remain, doubt he'll remain regardless of what league we're in. I'd hope Davidson and Craig would stay, and rightly or wrongly Kane is here forever. Hendry will move on before long. I think McCann will re-sign unless a massive club goes for him.

This Summer I can fully imagine Johnstone, Ralston, Anderson, Vihmann, Wright, Callachan, Holt, Kennedy, Swanson, Hendry and McMillan going regardless of division.

Leaves you...

Spoiler

Zander Clark - Elliot Parish

Wallace Duffy - Liam Gordon - Jason Kerr - Scott Tanser

David Wotherspoon - Michael O'Halloran - Murray Davidson - Liam Craig - Ali McCann

Stevie May - Chris Kane

... means we'd be heading into the Summer needing players in every position. Its rare for any club to pull that sort of trick off and come out the other side better. After this Summer its really hard to believe the club would be successful with that.

The WAP Rumour Mill chunders into action for the first time before the Winter, the first name spat out?

Hull Citys £3m regular Stephen Kingsley.

To lighten the mood, are we picking our Team of the Decade? 

Was surprised how few names actually came into consideration, would struggle to go much over 20 players. 

Mine: Mannus; Mackay, Anderson, Wright, Easton; O'Halloran, Millar, Morris, Swanson; MacLean, May.

Subs: Enckelman, Duberry, Craig, Davidson, Wotherspoon, Kennedy, Sandaza.