Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

15 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

I think we're lucky that the league is pretty poor this year & we are not cut off at the bottom as we could have been in another season.

Feels like it. But if you take our 11 points after 14 games and insert it into previous tables after 14 games...

18/19 - 9th - 6 points off the bottom

17/18 - 11th - 2 points off the bottom

16/17 - 12th - 1 point off 11th

15/16 - 11th - 6 points off the bottom

14/15 - 10th - 3 points off the bottom

1 minute ago, The Saintee said:

A dominant CH like Frazer Wright and another RB are a must.

Ideally another LB because Tanser is soft as shite.

To have gone from;

Mackay-Ando-Wright-Easton

to this shower.

Dearie me.

Feels like theres been a couple of sliding doors moments this Summer, and its completely pointless contemplating it as its not happened, but if our defence had been Foster - Gallagher - Kerr - Tanser I doubt we'd be bottom.

TW on Saints TV, talks about getting experience in the team in January and sounds frustrated.

Its been 11 months since we found out Shaughnessy was away. Since then we've released Brian Easton, loaned out Steven Anderson, and signed a kid and a plumber.

Its your own fault Tommmy.

Is any one of our three defensive coaches doing anything? I wouldn’t trust Wright in the transfer window. He has managed to build a squad that can’t defend and can’t score goals. If his past history is anything to go by he’ll wait for his target through the whole window and we’ll be left with another Ralston, Vihman or even May situation

Can only really concur with what the rest are saying. The summer was a complete disgrace as many pointed out at the time and its coming home to roost now. Steven Anderson is a better option than  Wallace Duffy and by extension Madis Vihmann. Why we let him go out on loan when we have those players as our other back up options is completely beyond me. 

An expensive January ahead to sort out this utter dump truck of a team. 

Edited by Kyle

7 minutes ago, Kyle said:

An expensive January ahead to sort out this utter dump truck of a team. 

It's going to be the most frustrating window ever. No chance we get players in early, and we'll probably discover 3 days from the deadline we still need to cut the wage bill before anyone can come in.

2 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

I doubt a team with MacLean, Anderson and Easton would lie down as easily as the current one is doing. It's not better players that we're really lacking. It's better fighters.

Cant agree, the players have come from behind more times this season than most of our squads were doing in a season.

The defence isnt good enough and always conceding the first goal is destroying everyones confidence 

21 minutes ago, john1962 said:

Is any one of our three defensive coaches doing anything? I wouldn’t trust Wright in the transfer window. He has managed to build a squad that can’t defend and can’t score goals. If his past history is anything to go by he’ll wait for his target through the whole window and we’ll be left with another Ralston, Vihman or even May situation

At least you recognise your problems are in attack as well as defence. All the other posts are about defence not being good enough. 
while your defence is obviously struggling, the signing of May is surely a big mistake. High wages and hopeless. Couldn’t score for a team competing near the top of the league, how can you then expect him to score for a team further down the league? There are better strikers in the championship. 

Genuinely don’t want you to go down, I have worked in Perth on and off for years and have some pals who are big saints fans, but you need a goal scorer as well as a couple of defenders. 

19 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Steven Anderson is a better option than  Wallace Duffy and by extension Madis Vihmann. Why we let him go out on loan when we have those players as our other back up options is completely beyond me. 

This is what I can't get my head around. 

I believe he was one of our highest paid players (at least until May signed) and we signed quite a relatively unknown young and inexperienced defence that we didn't even know would work and perform together, as it certainly hadn't against lesser opposition in the league cup.

I know loads of folk are going to come back at me here and say Ando was no longer good enough etc, but I guarantee he'd be many times better than what we're getting at the moment.

Think about what we're crying out for; a bit of experience at the back, someone who first and foremost is a defender and will stick his head onto everything, throw himself into blocks and tackles and shout and cajole those around him.  

Obviously signing Gallagher, or a younger version would have been great, but we didn't have that option in the end.  And we let Anderson go to play with Rovers cos he wanted a game every week. Sorry Tommy but that's just a dreadful decision.

2 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

This is what I can't get my head around. 

I believe he was one of our highest paid players (at least until May signed) and we signed quite a relatively unknown young and inexperienced defence that we didn't even know would work and perform together, as it certainly hadn't against lesser opposition in the league cup.

I know loads of folk are going to come back at me here and say Ando was no longer good enough etc, but I guarantee he'd be many times better than what we're getting at the moment.

Think about what we're crying out for; a bit of experience at the back, someone who first and foremost is a defender and will stick his head onto everything, throw himself into blocks and tackles and shout and cajole those around him.  

Obviously signing Gallagher, or a younger version would have been great, but we didn't have that option in the end.  And we let Anderson go to play with Rovers cos he wanted a game every week. Sorry Tommy but that's just a dreadful decision.

Is there a chance we intended on signing another CB, then Foster got punted and we had to panic sign Ralston instead?

Pure speculation.

16 minutes ago, big al said:

At least you recognise your problems are in attack as well as defence. All the other posts are about defence not being good enough. 
while your defence is obviously struggling, the signing of May is surely a big mistake. High wages and hopeless. Couldn’t score for a team competing near the top of the league, how can you then expect him to score for a team further down the league? There are better strikers in the championship. 

Genuinely don’t want you to go down, I have worked in Perth on and off for years and have some pals who are big saints fans, but you need a goal scorer as well as a couple of defenders. 

Yes we're not great in attack, but if our defence was solid we'd be fine.

We don't even have to be good, just less shite than two other teams and we'll stay up. A solid defence, and enough goals from midfield and attack would see us accomplish that I'm quite confident.

If we were talking about pushing for top six, then yes that's different.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Is there a chance we intended on signing another CB, then Foster got punted and we had to panic sign Ralston instead?

Pure speculation.

Hard to know. Hadn't heard us linked with anyone, but that doesn't mean anything.  Wouldn't Foster's wage we saved more than cancelled out the cost of Ralston though?  Again, just guessing, which probably isn't helpful.

I hope we've a few options in mind to go after.  Surely we're planning it now and making enquiries behind the scenes so the minute the window opens we can get on with it and get the player(s) in training for a few weeks, and get some friendlies to gel the defence.

I believe our attack would at least be slightly better if they knew they had the security of a reliable defence behind them, giving them a bit more license to go all-out when they're in possession. Having said that, I can't guarantee it to be the case. We do look alarmingly powderpuff also.

5 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Hard to know. Hadn't heard us linked with anyone, but that doesn't mean anything.  Wouldn't Foster's wage we saved more than cancelled out the cost of Ralston though?  Again, just guessing, which probably isn't helpful.

I just refuse to believe TW truly believed CB options of Kerr, Gordon, Duffy and Vihmann would be enough.

He must have thought Vihmann was good enough to get a start.  Maybe two from him, Gordon and Kerr.  Sadly it looks like that one hasn't quite worked out as hoped. 

Did he plan on hanging onto Ando as cover, but was forced to loan him out because of the extra cost of getting May signed?  Again, we'll probably never know what the plan/ reasoning was.

3 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

He must have thought Vihmann was good enough to get a start.  Maybe two from him, Gordon and Kerr.  Sadly it looks like that one hasn't quite worked out as hoped. 

Did he plan on hanging onto Ando as cover, but was forced to loan him out because of the extra cost of getting May signed?  Again, we'll probably never know what the plan/ reasoning was.

Was it not confirmed we spent some of this years budget getting MOH in January? 

Either way, none of the defensive decisions really make sense. Can debate the reasons for Foster but we had both Easton and Anderson at the club and purposely let both leave. That looks like a huge mistake.

1 minute ago, Costanza said:

Heard at the game today that Shaugnessey coming back in January. No idea how accurate that is bit would be a start. Not enough though I fear, that was a grim, grim watch.

Hes started 6 of their last 7 games and earns more than anyone in our squad. It's just fan talk.