Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

3 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Next generation of fans. Lucky if there’s 50 season ticket holders in there.

Welcome to Scottish football...

Big decision for Jeff to make this week.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'd rather keep the next generation of fans away from the older generation as much as possible. 

Walk in, concede, 88 minutes left and folk around me already booing the players and shouting abuse at Jason Kerr. Great stuff.

Something in both arguments. 

When my lad was younger we sat in the Ormond. Have to say at the time I appreciated the lack of dreadful language and that there were kids the same age around the place. Quite often kids from the same same schools congregate. But it can also be a bit empty. 

Main stand you are surrounded by absolute roasters half the time, but as an adult you can't really ask a paying punter to tone it down just because you've brought a child. 

Perhaps a solution is to segregate off a section of the main for families?

Lack of experience on the pitch, time to bring back Liam Craig and sacrifice a winger or Wotherspoon. Craig playing narrow on the left hand side would protect Tanser and allow Kennedy/May to drift out and occupy that space as well. His leadership qualities could be vital right now, cause the team isn’t talking to each other. In the 10 minutes he played against Hearts he pointed and instructed the team more than anyone has all season.

30 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Something in both arguments. 

When my lad was younger we sat in the Ormond. Have to say at the time I appreciated the lack of dreadful language and that there were kids the same age around the place. Quite often kids from the same same schools congregate. But it can also be a bit empty. 

Main stand you are surrounded by absolute roasters half the time, but as an adult you can't really ask a paying punter to tone it down just because you've brought a child. 

Perhaps a solution is to segregate off a section of the main for families?

Who knows what the solution is.

Fans around me also started hurling abuse at Matty Kennedy during the first half, which was ramped right up after his mistake at the third. Plenty of applause for the decision to take him off.

Suspect he'll be the boo boy until he signs a PCA at a bigger club, at which point the same fans who spent the preceding months abusing him start claiming he never wanted to play for us anyway.

Matty Kennedy looks like one of the few who actually give a f**k. Bad mistake today but you could see he was gutted about it.

A  decent CB and a large CF who loves crosses is all we needed, instead Tommy spunks the budget on 2 unknown CBs and a crippled Stevie May.  Nice one Tommy, nice fucking one.

59 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Who knows what the solution is.

Fans around me also started hurling abuse at Matty Kennedy during the first half, which was ramped right up after his mistake at the third. Plenty of applause for the decision to take him off.

Suspect he'll be the boo boy until he signs a PCA at a bigger club, at which point the same fans who spent the preceding months abusing him start claiming he never wanted to play for us anyway.

Mental. 

There's a right fanny that sits near me that is absolutely obsessed with a Wotherspoon/Drey Wright battle in his own head. He seems to think that Wright is some sort of impostor that is being lauded by fans as the second coming, to the detriment of Wotherspoon who is conversely a put-upon martyr that would somehow be a Perthshire-Canadian Messi if only the fans would stop pointing out his frequent misplaced passes and wrong decisions. Every game, the full 90 minutes seem to be entirely focussed on waiting for Wright to do something less than perfectly, just for the opportunity to inform the crowd around him of how much abuse Wotherpoon would get for the same actions. As if this is is how football works. 

FWIW I thought Drey was reasonable today and Wotherspoon was back to his normal inconsistent self, albeit he got into a couple of good positions and mostly worked hard. Another main stand classic is comparing Kerr to Anderson ... 'Ando wouldn't have let that happen' etc etc. It's ironic that these guys who are so obviously subject to the relentless march of time themselves fail to grasp that football players also suffer the ravages of age, and that particular centre back would be destined for the glue factory if they were a racehorse which is why he's on loan.

Booing Matty is insane. Yes it was a very poor pass that gave away the 3rd, but that's one of his few mistakes this season where he's been out best player by a considerable margin. I still don't quite get why Tommy decided to pull him back onto the wing when we've been having success with him alongside May. 

Edit: Kennedy on the wing also puts Spoony on the inside, where he seems to have less impact. So, a move that seems bad for both players. 

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

Reading this thread, Tommy Wright getting the NI job would be the best thing that's ever happened for St Johnstone. Wright leaves with his legendary status intact and St J get someone fresh to look at the team.

6 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Reading this thread, Tommy Wright getting the NI job would be the best thing that's ever happened for St Johnstone. Wright leaves with his legendary status intact and St J get someone fresh to look at the team.

As much as I dont want Tommy to go this is looking like the best scenario for all at Saints. 

I don't think he'll be offered the N.I. job though.

8 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

He needs to stay, accept hes to blame for this, and then sort it, IMO.

Retrospectively this has been coming for a while when you look at his signings. This Summer the proper nadir, he replaced Shaughnessy and Anderson with Duffy and Vihmann and expected into work. Let that sink in. He couldnt have predicted Liam Gordon would be so injury prone, but he has had an injury that's kept him out for two months in 18/19 and 17/18.

We just need to absolutely shitfest our way to safety, we aren't going to score our way there as the defence is that bad. I cant see us beating anyone apart from County, Hamilton or St Mirren, and even then I'm not convinced we've got the mentality to win those if they're high pressure.

I think yesterday was a wake up call to some of those who have only seen home games, although theres still people complaining we aren't attacking teams, so who knows. 

The damage was done last season, when we lost out on Gallagher and TW decided not to bother trying to get an experienced CB. It's too late now.

40 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think yesterday was a wake up call to some of those who have only seen home games, although theres still people complaining we aren't attacking teams, so who knows. 

And there we go. Folk on WAP demanding we go two up front, attack Aberdeen with a high press and apparently turn in to Liverpool and itll work. 

497295287_Saintsgoals.png.1b20efdc989d23ca7be4ad1844a9d429.png
Only included assists I felt actually contributed to the goals. Our weak spot is fairly obvious.

More good analysis, Randoom, thanks.
Is the left back or left midfield lacking?
Is the central defence poor?
Further analysis of each goal is required.
Do you think most clubs engage someone to analyse all this data? Do they need to or are external sources adequate?

Nice graphic and imagine that wasn't a two-minute job so well done. It'll make more sense to you having plotted it but it certainly points to an issue defending balls from our left. I agree with @andrewh that it's hard for someone without the raw data to look at it and really draw conclusions. For example, how many attacks came down either side? Obviously you can't answer that but what would be your observations, for example on the types of goals originating from our left? @RandomGuy.

Every club will have all this data and be analysing it. Imagine it's done both in-house and taken from companies that provide it. 

18 minutes ago, andrewh said:

More good analysis, Randoom, thanks.
Is the left back or left midfield lacking?
Is the central defence poor?
Further analysis of each goal is required.
Do you think most clubs engage someone to analyse all this data? Do they need to or are external sources adequate?

Just purely from memory, we've only conceded two headed goals (Goldson v Rangers, Doidge v Hibs), if that helps put perspective into it all. Both goals have an initial ball in the box, ball ends up on our left, where an unmarked player crosses in, the headed goal is then scored at the right hand side of the box , just inside the posts and just outside the six yard box (hope that makes sense).

So the majority of the goals scored in that "hot area" are kicked shots. To me that shouldn't be happening so regularly that close to goal.

Edited by RandomGuy.

53 minutes ago, Radford said:

Nice graphic and imagine that wasn't a two-minute job so well done. It'll make more sense to you having plotted it but it certainly points to an issue defending balls from our left. I agree with @andrewh that it's hard for someone without the raw data to look at it and really draw conclusions. For example, how many attacks came down either side? Obviously you can't answer that but what would be your observations, for example on the types of goals originating from our left? @RandomGuy.

Every club will have all this data and be analysing it. Imagine it's done both in-house and taken from companies that provide it. 

I'll do a game by game one, and try and clear it up, might be a few weeks :lol:

A lot of the assist from our left, I'm sure (as I say, it's just memory from this morning) are for unrushing midfielders to score. Livingstons second, and St Mirrens second, examples. Ones that on paper look like Tansers fault, but are actually players in the middle failing to track their men.

Edited by RandomGuy.

25 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Just purely from memory, we've only conceded two headed goals (Goldson v Rangers, Doidge v Hibs), if that helps put perspective into it all. Both goals have an initial ball in the box, ball ends up on our left, where an unmarked player crosses in, the headed goal is then scored at the right hand side of the box , just inside the posts and just outside the six yard box (hope that makes sense).

So the majority of the goals scored in that "hot area" are kicked shots. To me that shouldn't be happening so regularly that close to goal.

Was hibs first goal against us at Easter road not a header?