Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

15 minutes ago, Widge said:

Thing is, international jobs don’t come up that often. Robinson is probably ahead of Wright in the queue if O’Neill does leave (I don’t think he’ll go to Stoke). I’m 5/6/7 years time is Robinson going to be such flavour of the month, does he trust himself to improve and stay at that level. If he has a few dodgy seasons and gets sacked somewhere along the line is he likely to get offered the job?

Robinson was also O'Neill's assistant so he's been involved with their international set-up fairly recently which may be in his favour if they were looking for some sort of continuity.

He also managed their various age group squads prior to working with the senior squad as well.

Edited by capt_oats

28 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Tommy Wright has a much better pedigree than Robinson, and if it was a straight shoot out between them and they went for Robinson it would clearly be style over substance. Shouldn’t even be a competition.

Theres a reason the likes of Stubbs and Ross have got moves down South, while TW hasnt.

Robinson is in a team who portray themselves as the modern club, and his agent has spent the past two weeks plastering his name all over the place. Rightly or wrongly, teams seem to hire managers based on what's being said about them today, rather than what they've actually achieved.

Robinson has also rebuilt teams. Tommy's strength is in keeping them together. Teams looking for new managers tend to be looking for the first quality, which is I think why Tommy's never got his big move. N Ireland would be different of course.

Edited by Mr Heliums

9 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

Robinson has also rebuilt teams. Tommy's strength is in keeping them together. Teams looking for new managers tend to be looking for the first quality, which is I think why Tommy's never got his big move. N Ireland would be different of course.

I dont think that's fair to Wright at all. Hes consistently had success despite losing the greatest starting eleven in the "McDiarmid era".

And by all accounts Robinson was verging on the sack before injuries forced David Turnbull into the team.

31 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

And by all accounts Robinson was verging on the sack before injuries forced David Turnbull into the team.

That's a line that's repeated quite a lot but it's pretty wide of the mark tbh.

Turnbull had been on the bench 7 times between December 17 and March 18 (Robinson's first season proper). He made his debut off the bench against Dundee in the SC in the February of the 17/18 season he made his first start against Thistle in May of the same season. He was on the bench for the Scottish Cup final. So he'd been around the squad.

I get that's not really the point you're making though.

By the point Robinson's credit with the fans was at its absolute lowest (being pumped out of the SC by County in January 19) Turnbull had been in the side since September and a fixture in the starting XI since October. He already had 3 goals in 13 appearances by then.

Turnbull was a massive part in our season being turned around but the idea that Robinson was on the verge of the sack in September/October 18...5 games into the season when he broke into the team or that he was "forced" into playing him just doesn't square.

Edited by capt_oats

It’s all about perception when it comes down to Robinson vs Wright. Wright has achieved a lot more with (most likely) less money to spend and over a longer stretch of time but Robinson has to advantage of being at a club who talk up their achievements whereas Wright is not. 

Last season is a good example - super positive, high flying Motherwell finished below down in the dumps St Johnstone. Not that you’d  know it with the respective content coming out of the clubs and - probably as a direct result of that - the media’s attitude towards the two clubs. Even when Motherwell we’re struggling, their fans seem to have a much more positive disposition than ours do. 

It’s something that we really need to improve on. We don’t sell ourselves anywhere near well enough. 

Edited by Kyle

8 hours ago, Dele said:

Would he not be able to do both jobs? 

I can't envisage him doing that at all, I doubt he'd see it as fair to either job.

When O'Neill officially joins Stoke, then I'll be resigning myself to losing Wright. Theres zero chance hes turning that job down to stay, as hes been pretty honest about it being the only job he would never turn down. 

Absolutely clueless about who we bring in replace him. 

I'd far rather that Tommy left this way tbh. He'd be leaving on his terms to do something that he wants to do and he'll have totally earned the right to do so. What a fantastic manager he's been for us. 

Rather than being sacked by Brown and having all the roasters on WAP and the Banter page rejoice and spouting their "negative Tommy" pish. 

1 minute ago, The Saintee said:

No idea but Cleland can gtf.

Aye, I'm glad Davidson isnt here either, as he never felt right for the job either, for some reason.

I know what managers I dont want it to be, though...