Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I’ve heard a few rumours of Muzz’s private life which may have been why he’s not been offered the armband.

Would Clark be a good shout for the armband?

Clark is having enough difficulty with his gloves and his boots without having an armband to think about too.

On 27/10/2019 at 09:55, ali_91 said:

Don’t think who is captain matters that much in football, you can be a leader without being a captain, as Spoony showed yesterday, and having leaders is the most important thing. 

This ^^

In this day and age, it really shouldn't matter on the field who the captain is.  Those who are vocal will rally or bollock people as necessary, regardless of an armband.  the club captain is now more of a PR thing for clubs.

We have some leaders on the pitch (Liam and Muzz) and it was good to see Duffy taking on some of that by getting on at people.  Clearly he is now settling down and finding his voice.  

I think that Tommy should take the armband off of Kerr, at least on the pitch, and let him get back to just concentrating on his game. this would take some of the pressure off him that is clearly affecting him this season.  Any of the more senior figures in the team can take it whilst on the pitch, but that shouldnt stop players like Duffy using their voices when required.

However, it was important for the team to get the win on Saturday, and hopefully this restores a bit of belief in the players and they kick on from here.  Hearts are not a team to be feared for this weekends game, and the players have to believe that they can get a result.  It would be interesting to see a May-Hendry partnership upfront to see if it brings a bit more of a balance to the team and give both strikers a partner to play off.

31 minutes ago, Saint Paul said:

Hearts are not a team to be feared for this weekends game, and the players have to believe that they can get a result. 

Best to turn up on Wednesday night for the Hearts game SP, otherwise you might end up attending a funeral reception in the Centenary Suite. 

On 27/10/2019 at 01:28, nelsjfc said:

For the two or three transfer windows, I've wondered how realistic it is to hope to sign another Morris/Millar type player. Should be doing everything we can do tie down McCann to a long term contract.

Just came on to post about McCann and saw your comment.

That performance on Saturday, especially the first half, though he was still good the entire game, was absolutely superb.  One of the classiest central midfield performances from a Saints player I've seen in a good while.  Almost every first touch took the ball away from an opponent and gave him the opportunity to find the next pass. Nothing overly complicated, he just seemed to buy himself so much time on the ball and cruised through the match when others were huffing and puffing all around him. It was the performance of a player capable of playing at a far higher level.

Obviously it's only one game, and it was up against a poor Hamilton midfield, but he stood out. He's had decent passages of play already this season, but not dominating the way he did on Saturday. He also works hard, gets stuck in and tracks runners well.  

Far tougher match on Wednesday, should be a good challenge.  Really exciting to see how he progresses this season. 

There can't be a better centre midfielder of his age in the league.  And to think hes lost to Scotland already.

Start looking out the passports lads, we’re Europe bound...

It was an important victory for us on Saturday and it was thoroughly deserved based on our performance. The game may have finished 3-2 but those at the match will know it should have been a lot more comfortable than that.

At 2-1 we've had a number of great opportunities to kill the game off. David Wotherspoon - who I thought was outstanding on Saturday - could have easily had three or four and there were a number of other chances we didn't take to put the result beyond doubt.

However, the most important thing is that we have our first league win and we can now stop talking about that before every match and kick on from here.

Next up we take on Hearts at McDiarmid Park and we know it's going to be a tough fixture despite the current position that Craig Levein and his players find themselves in. The last time Craig's side came here it was an entertaining 2-2 draw but hopefully this time around we can take all three points.

The win at the weekend has helped us close the gap on the teams above us - Hearts included - and a positive result and performance could see us climb as high as 8th place in the league table depending on the other fixtures on Wednesday.

Saturday's win should give us the confidence moving forward. I thought some of our attacking play against Hamilton was excellent and if we can do that consistently then I think we can be an exciting team capable of beating anybody. Hopefully we can put on another good performance this week against Hearts and make it back-to-back wins.

Your support on Saturday - as always - was fantastic and even when it went to 2-2 you got right behind the boys to help us get that late winner. It has such a positive impact on the players when they have that backing and hopefully with the home support behind us for the next three games we can get the results that'll see us shoot up the table pretty quickly.

Thank you for your continued support,

Best wishes,

Tommy Wright
St. Johnstone Manager

9 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Just came on to post about McCann and saw your comment.

That performance on Saturday, especially the first half, though he was still good the entire game, was absolutely superb.  One of the classiest central midfield performances from a Saints player I've seen in a good while.  Almost every first touch took the ball away from an opponent and gave him the opportunity to find the next pass. Nothing overly complicated, he just seemed to buy himself so much time on the ball and cruised through the match when others were huffing and puffing all around him. It was the performance of a player capable of playing at a far higher level.

Obviously it's only one game, and it was up against a poor Hamilton midfield, but he stood out. He's had decent passages of play already this season, but not dominating the way he did on Saturday. He also works hard, gets stuck in and tracks runners well.  

Far tougher match on Wednesday, should be a good challenge.  Really exciting to see how he progresses this season. 

There can't be a better centre midfielder of his age in the league.  And to think hes lost to Scotland already.

He did just as well at County, against a better midfield too.

9 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Ewan Henderson is better, according to SFA coaches...

Thinking about this, the biggest issue saints have bar the defence is that of the 6 players who have actually scored a league goal this season, 2 were sitting on the bench on Saturday. There’s still a balance to be found I think. McCann has been brilliant, but there will be games he isn’t and Holt will get a chance. I’d still look at putting Holt behind a striker and Kennedy out wide if we’re going with a 5 in the middle.

4 hours ago, gannonball said:

Should have just stopped there really.

He can't be any worse than the 2 in midfield County started against us a few weeks ago. They weren't very good at all. 

They were completely outplayed by a wee lad 😂

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

38 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Ferguson is older. As is Turnbull for all the Motherwell fans about to pounce.

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 minute ago, Dele said:

Is he actually any good or is this just Random with this seasons Clark/Kerr/Shaugnessey call? 

He's definitely  good, but have to be balanced and say that it's on a small sample of games and it's not clear how much of a test he's really had yet (although for his age you could easily say being a starter in any top tier game is going to be a test). He seems to have a lot of great attributes, notably being very composed on the ball and isn't afraid to dig in. Rarely loses possession and is odds-on to get it straight back if he does. 

Kind of ironic that Saints fans (including me) have been banging on all summer about needing a solid, ball-playing centre mid to put his foot on the ball and give us a bit of control and presence, when it seems like we had one under our noses all the time. 

It's a long season but his progress has been impressive so far.  

12 minutes ago, Dele said:

Is he actually any good or is this just Random with this seasons Clark/Kerr/Shaugnessey call? 

He should be making the Scotland U21 squad, regardless of anything else. Statistically I'm sure hes one of the top 5 CMs in the league for interceptions, and his passing accuracy must be right up there too as I cant remember him misplacing one, especially on Saturday, despite him generally seeming to constantly be on the ball.

Huge talent. Hes potentially going to keep Jason Holt out our starting eleven this season.

22 minutes ago, Dele said:

Early days but the boy has looked very good. I know Saints have high hopes for him and have had for a few seasons now. Even to the extent of releasing McLean who is a N.Irish U21 international who'd spent a season on loan at Linfield just to give him a pathway into the first team.

McCann is now an irish U21 too, that's what RandomGuys beef is, he has a point tbf.