Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

10 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Sorry to see you guys having a pretty poor season so far but I noticed Callachan wasn’t playing at the weekend. He injured?

How’s he getting on with you guys anyway?

He gets better the less he plays.

34 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Sorry to see you guys having a pretty poor season so far but I noticed Callachan wasn’t playing at the weekend. He injured?

How’s he getting on with you guys anyway?

A victim of our attempts to go away from try hard cloggers to ballers.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I worry if we get too caught up with the gap, then we could just give up when it's not over.

We're 8 behind County, which might sound a lot just now, and could be enough for us to think we've no chance of overcoming them. Yet they could have a bad run in February/March, which would let us catch up. By then it could be over though as we've already given up.

Best approach in my mind is to just concentrate on ourselves and our own targets.

To be fair, I think that's what I'm saying. The size of the gap matters as it leads to (arguably) irrational thoughts and actions. 

He gets better the less he plays.

He’s not really played much for us to be fair, and he’ll not get his contract renewed. He’s probably fifth choice in the middle of the park.

We’ve had worse players but he’s not up to the standard required. 

A victim of our attempts to go away from try hard cloggers to ballers.

Cheers for the replies.

With our injuries seriously racking up now, It would be great to see him back. Possible a loan deal or something. Take it, he’s only contracted to next Summer?

38 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

To be fair, I think that's what I'm saying. The size of the gap matters as it leads to (arguably) irrational thoughts and actions. 

Aye, I'd just rather ignore it for now as it's not helpful to be counting the difference at this stage. We dont even know for sure who we're actually competing with yet.

35 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Cheers for the replies.

With our injuries seriously racking up now, It would be great to see him back. Possible a loan deal or something. Take it, he’s only contracted to next Summer?

Yes, and he'll be gone next Summer unless a new manager comes in and fancies him. Once TW writes you off then, rightly ot wrongly, your done with us.

Loaning Callachan to League One, and him joining Anderson and McMillan there, would be a nice summary of what went wrong this Summer. We spent the whole fucking window trying to shift the three of them, seemingly waiting for their wages, and we never actually managed to get rid of them anyway. Months of time to find the best team/set up wasted waiting on freed up money to get Holt and May.

We're months behind the rest of the league as we've still no idea what our best line up is.

Edited by RandomGuy.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Months of time to find the best team/set up wasted waiting on freed up money to get Holt and May.

We're months behind the rest of the league as we've still no idea what our best line up is.

Finally checked how many changes we'd been making from match to match...

Spoiler

Montrose -> Ross County: 5 changes -> Brechin: 3 changes -> Forfar: 4 changes -> Celtic: 5 changes -> Livingston: 3 changes -> Hibernian: 3 changes -> Kilmarnock: 0 changes -> Aberdeen: 3 changes -> Rangers: 1 change (enforced due to loan rules) -> Motherwell: 2 changes -> Ross County: 4 changes -> St Mirren: 2 changes

We've only played the same eleven players consecutively on one occasion out of a possible 12 times. The same team who drew 2-2 at Easter Road went on to lose 1-0 against Kilmarnock. We kept roughly the same team who drew at Pittodrie for the home game against Rangers, with only Holt dropping out due to being on loan. We average 3 changes to the line up per match.

In terms of "partnerships" at the start of a game...

Spoiler

CB pairings - Jason Kerr/Liam Gordon - 5 games

- Jason Kerr/Wallace Duffy - 4 games

- Jason Kerr/Madis Vihmann - 2 games

- Jason Kerr/Wallace Duffy/Madis Vihmann - 1 game

- Jason Kerr/Steven Anderson - 1 game

RB/RW - Anthony Ralston/Drey Wright - 2 games

- Ricky Foster/Michael O'Halloran - 2 games

- Anthony Ralston/Matty Kennedy - 2 games

- Anthony Ralston/Drey Wright - 1 game

- Ricky Foster/David Wotherspoon - 1 game

- Ricky Foster/Matty Kennedy - 1 game 

- Wallace Duffy/Matty Kennedy - 1 game

- Wallace Duffy/Michael O'Halloran - 2 games

LB/LW - Scott Tanser/Matty Kennedy - 6 games

- Scott Tanser/Michael O'Halloran - 4 games

- Scott Tanser/Drey Wright - 2 games

- Scott Tanser/David Wotherspoon - 1 game

CM - Murray Davidson/Ali McCann/Danny Swanson - 2 games 

- Murray Davidson/Jason Holt/Ali McCann - 2 games

- Murray Davidson/Liam Craig/Ali McCann - 2 games

- Murray Davidson/Jason Holt/Danny Swanson - 1 game

- Murray Davidson/Ali McCann/David Wotherspoon -1 game

- Murray Davidson/Liam Craig - 1 game

- Murray Davidson/Kyle McLean/Danny Swanson - 1 game

- Murray Davidson/Ali McCann/Ross Callachan - 1 game

- Liam Craig/Ali McCann/Kyle McLean - 1 game

- Murray Davidson/Liam Craig/Ross Callachan - 1 game

So our most common partnerships are Gordon and Kerr at CB with 5 games, Ralston has 2 games with Wright, O'Halloran and Kennedy. Tanser has 6 games with Kennedy, and we've no central midfield combination thats played more than two games as a unit.

Finally checked how many changes we'd been making from match to match...
Spoiler

Montrose -> Ross County: 5 changes -> Brechin: 3 changes -> Forfar: 4 changes -> Celtic: 5 changes -> Livingston: 3 changes -> Hibernian: 3 changes -> Kilmarnock: 0 changes -> Aberdeen: 3 changes -> Rangers: 1 change (enforced due to loan rules) -> Motherwell: 2 changes -> Ross County: 4 changes -> St Mirren: 2 changes

We've only played the same eleven players consecutively on one occasion out of a possible 12 times. The same team who drew 2-2 at Easter Road went on to lose 1-0 against Kilmarnock. We kept roughly the same team who drew at Pittodrie for the home game against Rangers, with only Holt dropping out due to being on loan. We average 3 changes to the line up per match.
In terms of "partnerships" at the start of a game...
Spoiler

CB pairings - Jason Kerr/Liam Gordon - 5 games
                         - Jason Kerr/Wallace Duffy - 4 games
                         - Jason Kerr/Madis Vihmann - 2 games
                         - Jason Kerr/Wallace Duffy/Madis Vihmann - 1 game
                         - Jason Kerr/Steven Anderson - 1 game
RB/RW - Anthony Ralston/Drey Wright - 2 games
                  - Ricky Foster/Michael O'Halloran - 2 games
                  - Anthony Ralston/Matty Kennedy - 2 games
                  - Anthony Ralston/Drey Wright - 1 game
                 - Ricky Foster/David Wotherspoon - 1 game
                 - Ricky Foster/Matty Kennedy - 1 game 
                 - Wallace Duffy/Matty Kennedy - 1 game
                 - Wallace Duffy/Michael O'Halloran - 2 games
LB/LW - Scott Tanser/Matty Kennedy - 6 games
               - Scott Tanser/Michael O'Halloran - 4 games
               - Scott Tanser/Drey Wright - 2 games
               - Scott Tanser/David Wotherspoon - 1 game
CM - Murray Davidson/Ali McCann/Danny Swanson - 2 games 
        - Murray Davidson/Jason Holt/Ali McCann - 2 games
        - Murray Davidson/Liam Craig/Ali McCann - 2 games
       - Murray Davidson/Jason Holt/Danny Swanson - 1 game
        - Murray Davidson/Ali McCann/David Wotherspoon -1 game
        - Murray Davidson/Liam Craig - 1 game
        - Murray Davidson/Kyle McLean/Danny Swanson - 1 game
        - Murray Davidson/Ali McCann/Ross Callachan - 1 game
        - Liam Craig/Ali McCann/Kyle McLean - 1 game
        - Murray Davidson/Liam Craig/Ross Callachan - 1 game

So our most common partnerships are Gordon and Kerr at CB with 5 games, Ralston has 2 games with Wright, O'Halloran and Kennedy. Tanser has 6 games with Kennedy, and we've no central midfield combination thats played more than two games as a unit.

That’s some analysis there Randoom!
Now, if only you could replicate that for some of the other teams, like County, Livi and Killie, we might see a pattern.
Does seem to support your argument about the mess we made of the close season.
I can’t say I disagree. It’s been horrendous.

Just now, andrewh said:

That’s some analysis there Randoom!
Now, if only you could replicate that for some of the other teams, like County, Livi and Killie, we might see a pattern.
Does seem to support your argument about the mess we made of the close season.
I can’t say I disagree. It’s been horrendous.

Its easy to do with us as you can rewatch games on Saints TV and I know how we've set up. Livingston would be interesting as they've had a lot of changes this Summer. My point was just to try and find a reason why we look so disjointed most of the time, it can't be easy for players to constantly be having someone different beside them every week. 

TW: "We have been unlucky with Liam Gordon's injury and we were unlucky in the summer with recruitment when we tried to get experienced ones in. A lot of our problems are down to us and it has to stop."

what a lot of bullshit! He knew shaughnessy was leaving, had months to sort something out and then forced foster out at the last minute. 

12 minutes ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

TW: "We have been unlucky with Liam Gordon's injury and we were unlucky in the summer with recruitment when we tried to get experienced ones in. A lot of our problems are down to us and it has to stop."

what a lot of bullshit! He knew shaughnessy was leaving, had months to sort something out and then forced foster out at the last minute. 

Aye I've no sympathy with him here. It was probably clear in January Shaughnessy was gone, and Declan Gallagher joined Motherwell around the start of March.

He had plenty of times to identify and get another in. Instead we got Duffy, then eventually Vihmann.

Watched the highlights. Managed to force myself after enduring it for 90 minutes. 

Duffy all over the place when the ball came into the box for the first goal. Decent wee ball in but has to be defended better. 

Second goal from a St. Mirren point of view they'll be happy but its just far to easy, little or new pressure on the ball, 1 ball down the outside of Tanser, no one able to get across the front post to cut the ball across out, it was a decent ball though and good finish but if were going to stay up we can't be split apart that easily by what was essentially 1 forward pass. 

Stonewall Penalty not given to us when Kennedy was assaulted in the second half - yes although how likely were we to score that? 

Our movement of the ball isn't quick enough, particularly going from central areas into wide areas, by the time the ball gets there the defender is right on our wide mans toes pushing him towards the touchline. We need to move the ball quicker so they can get a run at the defender rather than a static start, or just ending up having to roll it back to the full back supporting. 

We also have little or no third man runs coming from midfield or in wide areas. There's never a situation where the balls passed into our centre forward or a player out wide where there's already someone on the move. The player receiving the ball nearly always has to take a touch and wait. 

O'Halloran's best spell with us was when we were able to get him in behind the full back, Likewise some of Drey Wrights best stuff was in similar situations. Move it quicker, make the most of his strengths. For some reason MOH drops far to deep to demand the ball to them attempt to run the ball through a crowded area. For me he needs to be making runs in wider areas to get in behind full backs and giving Swanson etc the chance to find him. 

Its never easy as all that I know...

Saying all that, far superior team for the first 30 mins and should have put ourselves in front. 

I think Sir Tommy Wright has got to go back to basics with the setup. Usually I'd say there's nothing wrong with the 4-2-3-1 shape, its the modern game etc etc but we need to go back to a basic 4-4-2. Press teams and get right in their face, fight like the life depended on it, at the moment were just to soft. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

Manager's weekly email:

It was a case of same old story on Saturday against St Mirren. Games are won in both penalty boxes and once again individual errors and not taking our chances has cost us.

I thought we started the game really well. We were on top for the first 35 minutes and we had a number of chances which we weren't able to convert to put us ahead. Matty Kennedy had a great opportunity and so did Anthony Ralston while we had a number of other shots blocked.

We then gave away a soft free-kick and from it, St Mirren took the lead in what was an extremely disappointing goal to lose from a defensive point of view. What was most disappointing though was the response in the second half which was very poor. It's not something that can be aimed at us in previous matches this season.

We've gone behind against Livingston, Hibs, Aberdeen and Ross County and each time we showed good character and bounced back. However, you can't go on doing that week-on-week and we are putting ourselves under pressure by not taking good chances and giving away the first goal.

We need to keep believing in each other and working hard to put things right, starting with this weekend's match against Hamilton. We met here at a similar stage last season and we won that match 4-0 on a day that it could have been 7 or 8. We need to play to that level and get the first goal which I think is often vital in this league. Hopefully we can get in front early and control the match against a team we know are difficult to beat.

I understand that the fans are disgruntled at the moment because of the start we have made. The away support was brilliant in Paisley on Saturday and they backed the team which is all we can ask. Hopefully the supporters come in good numbers this weekend and we can all come together, get behind the players, and give them the confidence not only to win this game but to kick on from there.

Thank you for your continued support,

Best wishes,

Tommy Wright
St. Johnstone Manager

Others might not care, but I've found old WAP threads about who would replace Lomas...

http://www.weareperth.co.uk/wapforum/index.php?/topic/19808-possible-replacements/#comments

And then when TW was announced...

http://www.weareperth.co.uk/wapforum/index.php?/topic/19818-welcome-tommy-wright-our-new-manager/&tab=comments#comment-567114

I'm trying to make any form of point, at all, but I just found it interesting to read back knowing what we know now.