Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

xG is about quality of chance, not number.

I'm sure during that spell we conceded a shit tonne of shots, but most weren't from dangerous positions.

So is it all Chris Kane's fault then?

But serious point - if the xG stats are right (and from what I've been reading at team level they seem relatively reliable, not so much applied to individual players or events), sure that just backs up what we all can see is that we have creative talent in the middle but are lacking finishers?

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

stevie-may-a09a4a3b-ab44-4254-81d1-7c4084efaa4-resize-750.jpeg.cf0835c575b35a237de52eee751e0421.jpeg

Well indeed. But he can't be expected to be on the end of every chance now can he. Even if he converts everything that's a (for example) 50% or better and the rest of the team miss theirs we'd still underperform the xG. 

The 4-2-3-1 seems to tick a lot of boxes and I like it, but I'd still like to see us with 2 up front just to see what Hendry could do in that situation. 

49 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

So in xG is there no correlation whatsoever between number of chances and quality of chances?

Obviously the more shots the better, but the quality of shot is more important.

Shots from 30 yards have a 0.1xG rating (think Halkett last season), so you'd have to have 10 of those to equal a penalty (which is the highest rated chance at 1).

I dont think at our level theres ever really games, outwith obvious games, where teams are so far apart in terms of shots that volume outweighs quality, but I could easily be wrong there as it's just a hunch.

8 hours ago, ali_91 said:

Just to clarify, these figures are obviously example figures and made up? Surely an xG of 1 means there’s a 100% chance a goal will be scored? 

Just examples I've created to try and make the point.

Edited by RandomGuy.

His time is up.

Take last year into account and he has had coming up fir a year to fix this 

When you say ‘last year’, are you talking about the fantastic run we went on? Or the bad one? Or our final position in the table which was better than expected for a team with our budget? The performances were poor at times, yes, but this is a results business and we finished in a reasonable position.

This season has been a concern, however. I said that I would only be worried after we’d played the diddy teams and still not won a match. Well, Hamilton are the only diddies remaining now and I am not feeling positive.

There is a lack of character in this team. What happens if we replace Tommy Wright with someone else? We get that classic ‘new manager’ bounce, maybe win a couple of games, then revert to the type of performances/results we are getting at the moment, only with a (probably) lesser manager to lift the spirits of a young squad. That’s how I see it.