Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 minute ago, Radford said:

Clark makes a great initial block and if his defence clear their lines and we win the game, he gets praised for a pivotal contribution. Unfortunately the effort from Chalmers was eminently saveable.

An error from Davidson in lead up to free kick but he's been pretty good in recent weeks IMO. 

^^^ see that Dick, even Sadford can see slight positives in that performance. 

It’s hard to be positive when we still haven’t won a game. We are starting to sound like Dundee last season, how many times did McCann and McIntyre come out and say things like, oh we just needed a wee bit more luck, we’ve dominated the game and should’ve won, we just need to cut out the individual errors. 

14 minutes ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

It’s hard to be positive when we still haven’t won a game. We are starting to sound like Dundee last season, how many times did McCann and McIntyre come out and say things like, oh we just needed a wee bit more luck, we’ve dominated the game and should’ve won, we just need to cut out the individual errors. 

At this stage last season Dundee had lost 7 games, we've lost 4 (Celtic, Rangers, Kilmarnock, Motherwell).

It's not comparable at all. Yet.

35 minutes ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

When have you ever been positive? Ever?

20 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

At this stage last season Dundee had lost 7 games, we've lost 4 (Celtic, Rangers, Kilmarnock, Motherwell).

It's not comparable at all. Yet.

They had won a game though. I didn’t mean the exact results I mean the comments from management post match after not getting the result we were after 

3 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

When have you ever been positive? Ever?

I was positive after the performance at Easter road. What’s the positives? We’ve won once and had one clean sheet in 12 competitive games, and that was against Brechin. 

22 minutes ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

I was positive after the performance at Easter road. What’s the positives? We’ve won once and had one clean sheet in 12 competitive games, and that was against Brechin. 

We've not had our best side out until the last few games, we've found out a fair bit about the younger players,  good and bad. In fact I'd say we've found out about some of the older ones too. It's early in the season and we're not marooned at the bottom, some of the performances have been decent, certainly in parts. The defence isn't the best but that can improve, cut out stupid mistakes and the season would look totally different. The only way is up, be positive and enjoy life and fucking smile you dour b*****d. 

39 minutes ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

They had won a game though. I didn’t mean the exact results I mean the comments from management post match after not getting the result we were after 

Its say its fairer to make those comments after draws than defeats.

23 minutes ago, Daydream said:

There’s no way you guys have regressed to last season’s Dundee FC levels, shirley? You’ll come good!

Don't think we're anywhere near as bad as that Dundee team last year, but there's no St Mirren/Hamilton or indeed yourselves in the nick you were last year. Seems like a much tougher, more competitive league.

One for any lurking Dundee fans on here....were the fans still quite positive about their squad/team after the 1st quarter or could you start to see what was about to happen?

I'm certain we won't go down and I've said this before on here....maybe I'm kidding myself on a bit but I feel weirdly really positive about this group of players.   

One for any lurking Dundee fans on here....were the fans still quite positive about their squad/team after the 1st quarter or could you start to see what was about to happen?
I'm certain we won't go down and I've said this before on here....maybe I'm kidding myself on a bit but I feel weirdly really positive about this group of players.   

Like any relegation season it was full of false dawns and constant let downs. Don’t think many Dees gave up the ghost until near the bitter end mind.

2 hours ago, Kyle said:

Don't think we're anywhere near as bad as that Dundee team last year, but there's no St Mirren/Hamilton or indeed yourselves in the nick you were last year. Seems like a much tougher, more competitive league.

I wasn’t saying our group of players are as bad as Dundee’s last season. But it feels like TW is coming out with the exact same post match comments every week. Are we learning from these performances so far? The evidence would suggest not considering TW has thought we’ve dominated the majority of games so far yet failed to win any

1 hour ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

I wasn’t saying our group of players are as bad as Dundee’s last season. But it feels like TW is coming out with the exact same post match comments every week. Are we learning from these performances so far? The evidence would suggest not considering TW has thought we’ve dominated the majority of games so far yet failed to win any

Having seen those games, do you think Tommy is wrong? 

3 hours ago, tree house tam said:

We've not had our best side out until the last few games,

We have not played the same team in the last few games. So what is our best side is it: 

Sunday's without Holt and Wright

Last weeks without Swanson and Kennedy

Or was it the Rangers game without Holt, Swanson and Wright.

The point, I trying to make, does Tommy know his best team? He chops and changes his midfield every game. I am willing to gamble, he will change it again for the St Mirren game (possibly two changes). So far no continuity in his selection.

I believe that after 8 games, he has found our best formation so far 4:2:3:1

21 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Having seen those games, do you think Tommy is wrong? 

Dominated? Maybe not. Played very well? possibly, failed to win definitely! 

If were “dominating” games and not winning what’s going to happen when we start playing poorly? 

1 hour ago, Templar said:

We have not played the same team in the last few games. So what is our best side is it: 

Sunday's without Holt and Wright

Last weeks without Swanson and Kennedy

Or was it the Rangers game without Holt, Swanson and Wright.

The point, I trying to make, does Tommy know his best team? He chops and changes his midfield every game. I am willing to gamble, he will change it again for the St Mirren game (possibly two changes). So far no continuity in his selection.

I believe that after 8 games, he has found our best formation so far 4:2:3:1

Horses for courses with players and formations. What I was meaning was we now have basically the full squad to play with and we should see now how the team will fare this season.  It's idiotic to compare our early results with half a squad to how we play from now on.

10 hours ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

Dominated? Maybe not. Played very well? possibly, failed to win definitely! 

If were “dominating” games and not winning what’s going to happen when we start playing poorly? 

I would say we have 'dominated' for large parts of recent games. We've not created enough chances with that posession though and where we have we've not finished well enough. And as we all know our inexperienced defence have let a few go by them. 

Anyone with eyes can see where our problems have been. Tommy Wright has summarised these issues in his post-match interviews. However bear in mind that these media post-matches aren't really about disecting the game, and certainly not an honest comment. It's PR, not analysis. Thought you would know that. 

Been looking up other sides who've been winless after 8 games and where they then finished...

19/20 - St Johnstone (4 draws, 4 losses) - tbc

17/18 - Partick (3 draws, 5 losses) - Relegated, Kilmarnock (3 draws, 5 losses) - 5th

15/16 - Partick (3 draws, 5 losses) - 9th

13/14 - St Mirren (2 draws, 6 losses) - 8th

09/10 - Falkirk (3 draws, 5 losses) - Relegated

05/06 - Livingston (2 draws, 6 losses) - Relegated