Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Yeah, that’s the one thing Vihmann was good at when he played, was winning headers. Not sure he actually got beaten in the air. Clearly he isn’t going to be good at playing the ball on the deck, but I’d rather a solid defender who clears his lines at every opportunity (ala Frazer Wright) than one who gets caught on it time and time again.

From what I saw, him getting caught on the ball wouldn’t be the issue, it was the fact he kept putting the ball out of play or over hitting it. I’m our current predicament I’d rather it was safe like that, than an overconfident youngster losing it and giving teams a free run at out back line.

At Forfar, Vihmann didn't really go long once, he kept it simple and if he did look to make a better pass, it was between the lines. I was surprised the way he reverted to long balls in the Livingston game but we saw on Saturday the difficulties that can face a right-footed player on the left of the defence.

7 hours ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Would certainly be better than our Estonian Kevin James rip off that's for sure. 

Based on 3 games? That's all you get to settle into a new team? I'm sure there are loads of players who had a poor start to a career at Saints and came good.

Vihmann was absolutely shite against Livingston, he was shite against Celtic, and was part of a defence who conceded 2 goals go Forfar. He virtually couldnt pass the ball last time he played for us, and hasnt even been making the bench lately. A half fit Liam Gordon was put in the team ahead of him. He also has an incredible habit of being just too far away from a goalscorer to block, but close enough that you feel like if he'd read the situation better he could've stopped it.

Theres just something about it all that screams of a hopeless diddy we'll all reference as a joke in a few years time. 

As always, I hope I'm wrong.

8 hours ago, Dele said:

Was he not regularly behind Jamie Robson at Dundee United at a time that United fans wanted Robson binned because he was a liability? 

Nah that's unfair. Booth and Robson were both fairly mediocre last season and dropped in and out the team as their form would go up and down. Both ended up playing near the end of the season with Neilson trying out the experiment of Robson on the left with Booth in behind.

Callum Booth is fine. A 5/10 footballer who will rarely go lower than 4/10 but never go higher than a 7/10.

7 hours ago, Radford said:

Criticism of Vihmann, across all platforms, is very Brexity. If we'd signed a 23-year-old Scottish player, he certainly wouldn't be getting the abuse (and that's what it is) after thee games, one of which was watched live by about 100 fans. 

Maybe if the support got behind a young guy trying to settle in a foreign country, it would be more constructive. 

Your first point is nonsense for me I'm afraid. Why does it have to be anything to do with his nationality?  I've been at all three of his games so far, and he's looked like he's way off this level for a good portion of that time.  Athletically and ability wise.  I'd feel the same if he was a Scottish centre back we'd signed; look at the comments after one or two of Duffy's matches as well.  

Agree with your second point, he needs encouragement and patience.  The fact that he's an international and our manager was so keen to get him, makes me hopeful that he's got a lot more ability than he's shown so far.

Just now, PauloPerth said:

The fact that he's an international 

I feel like this is a bit of a false heading type situation. Hes still getting call ups despite not making our matchday squads.

Makes you wonder if its because of his quality or simply a lack of alternatives.

11 hours ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

@RandomGuy. You can no longer speculate that we'll sign Tansey as he's had to retire due to his injury.

A sad day in the RG household.

Papers running the story today that Liam Gordon has been sent for scans on an injury picked up in training. So that's it, officially, confirmed that hes the injured defender.

12 minutes ago, Radford said:

Surprised that @RandomGuy. isn't all over his advanced stats on Zander Clark...

IMG_20191004_082204.thumb.jpg.274ac115e993636759066835b2bd7bad.jpg

Basically, Clark has conceded seven goals that are usually saved. 

Our keeper may not be in the form of his life, but it's a bit of a stretch to claim that he's responsible for the current issues. 

Struggling to think of where he's made a game-changing mistake this season. The goals we've lost to set plays people have said (rightly, I think) that he needs to come off the line more but it's been defensive errors. There was the howler in the Celtic game but it's not like it had a material impact on the result. 

1 minute ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Our keeper may not be in the form of his life, but it's a bit of a stretch to claim that he's responsible for the current issues. 

Certainly not doing that but these guys put hours of research into analysing shots and you can't shy away from those numbers. Clark has conceded at least 6 or 7 goals that would universally be saved in leagues comparable to the Premiership, whether we think they were mistakes or not. 

It's something that needs to be monitored. Sometimes a break can serve a player well too. 

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'd be interested to know which goals the seven were, tbh.

Ask the guy, he'll happily tell you I'm sure.

Remember, there are maybe shots he saved that he wouldn't have been expected to, so it could be more than seven! 

9 minutes ago, Radford said:

Ask the guy, he'll happily tell you I'm sure.

Remember, there are maybe shots he saved that he wouldn't have been expected to, so it could be more than seven! 

I'm not on Twitter to ask.

Stats like that have begun to annoy me, tbh. The folk who do them never actually clear them up and I've found a lot are misleading so they can make a point.

most of these people don't seem to even watch football to be honest, just obsess over pretty pointless stats. They used to hate us back when we were good because every year our advanced stats were shit and every year we'd finish in the top 6, well above 'where we should be'.

Fucking witchcraft. 

3 minutes ago, Kyle said:

most of these people don't seem to even watch football to be honest, just obsess over pretty pointless stats. They used to hate us back when we were good because every year our advanced stats were shit and every year we'd finish in the top 6, well above 'where we should be'.

Fucking witchcraft. 

That Norwegian boy was the best, absolutely seething every season we didnt fit his narrative.

I also know someone who hates Parish with a passion, him coming in the team would cause a proper cranial detachment.