Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

2 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:

Eh? When have I defended 'scumbag supports'?

If that's your experience and that of your fellow supporters then that's fair enough and not doubting your word. Just telling it from my perspective though and it's not done my family any harm.

I'm fairly sure you defended West Ham fans a few years back when there was reports of racism, I apologise if I'm mixing you up with someone else.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm fairly sure you defended West Ham fans a few years back when there was reports of racism, I apologise if I'm mixing you up with someone else.

I did defend West Ham a few years back after some ill informed nonsense on here. A game which my son was at and i'll believe him before some wind up merchants looking for bites. Anyway we're off topic enough so i'll wish you goodnight and exit stage left.

35 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'd be giving Rangers/Celtic the end stands, at best, same as the Dundee sides get when they're bringing big crowds. 

We wont agree here. I cant find the figures to back it up but I'm fairly certain Sunday was our lowest home support of the season.

I'd rather the club identify why home supporters are being turned away and try and rectify it, you seem happy for them to ignore the issue home fans have and try and make as much money as they can. I believe restricting thebaway support size, and keeping them more isolated, would help the home fans enjoy the day and in turn encourage more along. Would be worse for away fans but, frankly, that's not our priority. 

As I say, we wont agree on this, so continuing it is pointless.

For what it's worth, i agree entirely with the principle you are arguing. I'd love to see us find a way to get our stadium back when we play the OF in terms of having more home supporters than away.

Its just grim acceptance from me now when it comes to these games. We're invariably going to get humped, more often that not we won't get the marginal decisions (or often the obvious ones as well), it's going to be shite listening to gloating OF fans on either side of us.  I can't see a way we can make that attractive to our own support, and our home support against them won't ever increase, the way things are. 

So I just think f**k it. Look after our own fans, and any casual Saints fans that want to attend in the Main with good discounts, but milk the OF fans with high admission, £5 a pie filled with tonnes of salt to work up a thirst, and charge them £7 a drink, etc etc.

It might be I've just suffered through too many OF capitulations over the last 12 months that I've given up.

But I agree with you, this is done.

31 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

But I agree with you, this is done.

Stop trying to have the last word you p***k :lol:

*looks around to see if Radford is near*

*thinks it clear*

Heres the average position in possession/pass map from Sundays game...

EFQdVVDU4AE4yau.png

Clear issue is how deep O'Halloran and May were touching the ball. Not hard to understand why we couldn't create much when almost nobody was touching the ball within 30 yards of their goal. 

Modern Fitbas xG table, which I think was fairly accurate last season, projects us to finish 9th just now, with virtually the same tally as 8th placed St Mirren. Livingston, Hibernian and Hamilton the outliers at the bottom.

Edited by RandomGuy.

[mention=13468]andrewh[/mention] This is our current squad, with ages and senior career appearances (according to transfermarkt)...
Spoiler

Goalkeepers
Zander Clark (27) - 214 appearances
Elliot Parish (29) - 153
Max Johnstone (21) - 1 
Average Age: 26 - Total appearances: 368 (average: 123)
Defenders
Wallace Duffy (20) - 7
Scott Tanser (24) - 153
Madis Vihmann (23) - 203
Jason Kerr (22) - 164
Anthony Ralston (20) - 54
Liam Gordon (23) - 65
Callum Booth (28) - 296
Average Age: 23 - Total appearances: 942 (average: 135)
Midfielders
Ross Callachan (26) - 222
Drey Wright (24) - 171
Murray Davidson (31) - 376
David Wotherspoon (29) - 401
Danny Swanson (32) - 348
Ali McCann (19) - 30
Jason Holt (26) - 246
Liam Craig (32) - 494
Matty Kennedy (24) - 212
Average Age: 27 - Total appearances: 2500 (average: 278)
Strikers
Chris Kane (25) - 188
Stevie May (26) - 269
Michael O'Halloran (28) - 207
Callum Hendry (21) - 41
Average Age: 25 - Total appearances: 705 (average: 176)

If any can't be arsed looking through every individual player, heres a summary...
Spoiler

0-50: (4) - Max Johnstone, Wallace Duffy, Ali McCann, Callum Hendry
50-100: (2) - Anthony Ralston, Liam Gordon
100-150: N/A
150-200: (5) - Elliot Parish, Scott Tanser, Jason Kerr, Drey Wright, Chris Kane
200-250: (6) - Zander Clark, Madis Vihmann, Ross Callachan, Jason H olt, Matty Kennedy, Michael O'Halloran
250+: (6) - Callum Booth, Murray Davidson, David Wotherspoon, Danny Swanson, Liam Craig, Stevie May

No comment from me on any of it, just putting it in an easy to view way.

I see Vihmann and Booth skewing the defenders’ average number of games played. Very inexperienced defence, which we knew. Thanks

15 minutes ago, andrewh said:

I see Vihmann and Booth skewing the defenders’ average number of games played. Very inexperienced defence, which we knew. Thanks

Yeah they do a fair bit, Booth skews the average age aswell back there.

Just popping by to say Steven Anderson has been a fucking revelation. Our previous centre back pairing of Davidson and Benedictus were looking particularly vulnerable but he's just completely steadied the ship. We've switched to 3 at the back with him in the middle between the other two and we've now had back to back clean sheets. Constantly organising and making sure everyone is in the correct positions; we look an entirely different side with him in the defence. Hard to believe no Championship side would have taken him.

imageproxy.php.jpeg

6 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Just popping by to say Steven Anderson has been a fucking revelation. Our previous centre back pairing of Davidson and Benedictus were looking particularly vulnerable but he's just completely steadied the ship. We've switched to 3 at the back with him in the middle between the other two and we've now had back to back clean sheets. Constantly organising and making sure everyone is in the correct positions; we look an entirely different side with him in the defence. Hard to believe no Championship side would have taken him.

imageproxy.php.jpeg

Never doubted he'd have such an impact.

Hes exactly what we need at our level.

3 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Nope. Ando is past it our level, has been for years.

Agreed. Billy McKay blew him away in the Cup this year already. 

7 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Hard to believe no Championship side would have taken him.

I wondered that too, but I'm not sure exactly how he got on with Partick and whether that played a part. 

I think your back three is the best option for him now, hes not got the legs to play against a 4-4-2 but he'll still read the game better than anyone so if hes the "spare" defender he should have more than enough time to identify the danger and either move over, or let someone know.

I'm glad for him that hes playing regularly again, and playing well at that. 

2 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Nope. Ando is past it our level, has been for years.

2 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Billy McKay.

Let that sink in Paulo.

I’m not talking about Ando Tam, I’m talking about the equivalent ‘at our level’.

To organise, shout, cajole, bollock - all the qualities the Rovers fan describes - the young defenders around him.

2 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

I’m not talking about Ando Tam, I’m talking about the equivalent ‘at our level’.

To organise, shout, cajole, bollock - all the qualities the Rovers fan describes - the young defenders around him.

Ah I see. 

Was hoping the 3 we have would step up and show their worth. Jason Kerr (as well as Zander) has been nowhere near the level he played last season, frustrating but there's still time to have a great season, just get your act together,do everything you do well and forget about all the other stuff.

6 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Ah I see. 

Was hoping the 3 we have would step up and show their worth. Jason Kerr (as well as Zander) has been nowhere near the level he played last season, frustrating but there's still time to have a great season, just get your act together,do everything you do well and forget about all the other stuff.

Yes, all are good enough.

Got to step up and produce at this level week in week out, gel as a unit, and to cut out the careless individual errors that are killing us.

On 24/09/2019 at 20:00, Valentino Bolognese said:

They sang the 'bouncy' song on Sunday. Explain that to a 10yo. 

On 24/09/2019 at 20:15, jimmy boo said:

I've obviously heard the **** singing 'bouncy' but have no idea what it means or why it would corrupt children.

I'm intrigued here as well. Genuinely didn't know there was a meaning behind it.  

When Dundee United were going well in the mid-80's there were a few of their fans at the school who would go along to Tannadice and come back singing songs they'd learnt at games. Utd fans sang that and all bounced up and down apparently.  I never heard of any other team's fans singing it until rangers started copying it maybe 15 years ago or so.

Disappointing if it's got some sinister undertone, but not entirely surprising.

Edited by PauloPerth
Typo

3 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I'm intrigued here as well. Genuinely didn't know there was a meaning behind it.  

When Dundee United we're going well in the mid-80's there were a few of their fans at the school who would go along to Tannadice and come back singing songs they'd learnt at games. Utd fans sang that and all bounced up and down apparently.  I never heard of any other team's fans singing it until rangers started copying it maybe 15 years ago or so.

Disappointing if it's got some sinister undertone, but not entirely surprising.

It's been claimed it's to do with a Catholic who got their head stamped on repeatedly in NI back in the 80s/90s, I'm sure.

Hard to know who to believe, Rangers fans are highly likely to sing a song to gloat about that, but Celtic fans are equally as likely to make something like that up to be offended.