Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

17 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

And Chris Kane of course.  It was obviously all his fault. Grrrrrrrrrr...

What a bizarre post.

Kane was abysmal yesterday and regularly stunted us on the rare occasions we caught Killies back line on the hop, the two times he, literally, stopped the ball and ran away from it, perfect examples.

That's why people are angry at him. He didnt even do much off the ball closing down, yet is still being praised for it. 

Also is Ali McCann Northern Irish?

Born and raised in Edinburgh I believe. Also no mention of Ali McCann in the Irish squads at all, so that must be a mistake!? Unless it’s the under 19s?

Right here’s the team I think we need to get on the pitch and one which will win points -

Clark

Duffy/New RB - Kerr - Gordon - Tanser

Davidson - Craig/McCann

Wright - Kennedy - Wortherspoon

May

Kane is coming up for 25 now, he needs to find more consistency. Playing like he did last week then the next week turning in a performance like yesterday is no use to us.

I appreciate the matches played out different ways but he was holding the ball, linking with others, turning his man and more at Hibs, then yesterday does none of that.

He's not a bad player but he is an inconsistent one and when we have such a young squad, a guy of his experience can't get away with that.

Yes, it would be a surprise to find out an Irish nation is poaching a Scots born youngster tbf.

He likely has a great grandad who visited Belfast once.

Yes, it would be a surprise to find out an Irish nation is poaching a Scots born youngster tbf.
He likely has a great grandad who visited Belfast once.

Given older brother is a capped member of the Scotland National Rugby team at under 20s and 7s level, it’d be a surprise. Then again he’s never going to make the Scotland youth teams cause of who he plays for, so why not go for it.

1 minute ago, Widge said:

Then again he’s never going to make the Scotland youth teams cause of who he plays for, so why not go for it.

Exactly. 

Hes a regular for a top flight side, but isnt in U21 sides ahead of a shite Rangers youth on loan at a lower level. 

It's no wonder folk dont give a f**k about playing for Scotland.

1 hour ago, ali_91 said:

Chris Kane was terrible yesterday, absolutely nothing worked for him, but to suggest he didn’t close down or his attitude was shocking is just plain wrong. He never stopped running.

Well done to him. I'd rather have a player capable of actually holding the ball and helping the team week in, week out, myself though, even if it meant they weren't as active.

All this "nobody gets close enough to him/leaves him isolated" chat falls down when you watch him and realise he cant hold onto the ball for longer than 3 touches, at best. He either falls into a defender and loses it, passes it backwards, or hits one of the softest shots you've ever seen. How are we expecting folk to link with him?

4 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Well fucking obviously, I was replying to the bizarre claim you made literally two hours ago that he wasn’t closing down, as well as a previous post saying his attitude was shocking. 

Did I say his attitude was bad? Genuinely cant remember.

I dont remember him closing down much at all, there were a few instances of him just standing still. See, for example, when MOH gave him the ball out wide and darted into the box, and Kane managed to hit a three yard pass to the edge of the box to nobody, whilst falling, under no pressure, and then just strolled back.

MOH then won the ball in midfield, turned, and his only option was Kane, who was still wandering back about 5 yards offside. Kane then finally runs, right into the space where MOH was away to run, blocking that avenue.

But aye, he works hard for the team.

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 minute ago, ali_91 said:

Didn’t mean your post, think it was @steviemay17 who said that.  

I don’t think it can be argued he doesn’t work hard for the team, no matter if there is one example of him letting his head drop after a mistake. 

He works hard, and his heart is in the right place, but hes not good enough for this level, not every week.

You can talk about his good performances (where he likely still didnt actually score) and his work rate if you want, but hes a dreadful striker. The fact he got such a long contract was laughable.

11 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Didn’t mean your post, think it was @steviemay17 who said that.  

I don’t think it can be argued he doesn’t work hard for the team, no matter if there is one example of him letting his head drop after a mistake. 

I think I did have a go at his attitude, at one point he shinned one backwards about 10 yards and then tried to scream at Swanson for having the absolute cheek of trying to make a run forward into space.

To quote the great cup winning Chris Iweumo when he signed - he said he would teach Stevie May when to close down and run about and when to stay central to help the team - just blindly charging around doesn't always help the team.

It's why we are sh*te in international level, there are still way too many people who work in football who will value kane and someone like Ricky Foster over others because they run about and shout and look like they are trying

Edited by steviemay17

3 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

I absolutely agree with most of that, I’m a big fan of lazy strikers who only come alive when they sniff a goal, still think it’s extremely harsh to have a go at someone’s attitude who is running more than anyone else on the pitch, even if lots of his running isn’t smart. 

Having a go at Swanson is probably a defensive mechanism as he’ll be disappointed to hear the crowd on his back, it’s a human instinct. 

He's a symptom of TW's love of 7/10 players. Praises effort above impact. Scottish football loves the work ethic.

59 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

I absolutely agree with most of that, I’m a big fan of lazy strikers who only come alive when they sniff a goal, still think it’s extremely harsh to have a go at someone’s attitude who is running more than anyone else on the pitch, even if lots of his running isn’t smart. 

Having a go at Swanson is probably a defensive mechanism as he’ll be disappointed to hear the crowd on his back, it’s a human instinct. 

At our level it's always going to be one or the other - hard working but pish or lazy and prolific - anybody hard working and prolific will be down south immediately