Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Thanks for clarifying. I can't comment as to which side of the cheeks are worse when it comes to bigotry, both are disgusting and drive a lot of sensible fans away. We're in a country where you get lower crowds, not higher, when you play the 2 'best' teams.* Says it all. 

FWIW though under no circumstances could I ever condone giving them more of the ground, even if they were paying a grand a ticket. We're not in financial trouble and we're a club that's about the community and the football. Turning us into a mini Ibrox or Parkhead and giving them 3 or 4 extra home games a year can GTF. Bridge too far for me. 

*edit You know what, I think I might have just made that up. But the home crowds feel smaller, maybe that's in relation to the away fans or it's the OF fans that sneak in the main stand. 

Fair enough. As a fellow numbers man you will appreciate that the club have considered this OF issue as ONE* way to deal with a loss of c.£200k based on management, not statutory, accounts. * Other ways were not discussed, except perhaps the presence of the Dundee clubs, but we’ve no way of influencing that.

Templar seems pretty set on the notion that we will only start two of Kennedy, O’Halloran and Wright at any given time. Templar, you simply have to embrace the fact that we will start all three of them on a semi-regular basis once Wright is back to match fitness. Matty Kennedy has even said that it’s pretty much a guarantee. Just stop worrying about which wing will be assigned to which player, sit back, and enjoy the liquid football.

Think the chat was that the loan to Arbroath would upset some people. Only likely contenders in that case are Hendry or possibly Callachan I'd say.

If we sign another striker (ie Shaw on loan) I'd be quite happy to see us send Hendry out for a year. More chance of him starting and scoring regularly for Arbroath than there is him doing the same here, especially now we have May in the squad.

4 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Think the chat was that the loan to Arbroath would upset some people. Only likely contenders in that case are Hendry or possibly Callachan I'd say.

If we sign another striker (ie Shaw on loan) I'd be quite happy to see us send Hendry out for a year. More chance of him starting and scoring regularly for Arbroath than there is him doing the same here, especially now we have May in the squad.

It was a striker, so Hendry. 

That probably means McMillan is staying, which is a bit shit.

52 minutes ago, andrewh said:

He was visibly angry and upset at the prospect. I think he was alluding to vitriol he claims is directed from Rangers fans towards catholic players at our club, and that such people shouldn’t be allowed to take over our stadium on a match day.
I have to say, much as I dislike the OF, that his demeanour and near tangible anger was almost as unpleasant as the behaviour he was so strongly opposing. I’m not criticising the man, I’d like to have been able to speak to him and try to understand why he feels so strongly and why he only spoke about Rangers fans, not Celtic.

I also picked up on this and thought exactly the same as you at the time....you're right, he was clearly angry and passionate about the point he was making, and I couldn't get my head round it at the time.

On reflection though, if you are passionate about your faith then you will feel that this is a bit of personal attack...hence the "anger". ((having said all that, my comments come from a position of ignorance as I have no interest in the topic......just an observation more than anything else))

As an overall summary of the meeting, I thought it was good and more open than I thought it would be. Steve (the board) never dodged a question, apart from the Foster one (fair enough) and the slides/content were clear and pitched at the right level. Paulo's summary is spot on re content.

It would have helped having Tommy there to field some of the team selection questions....."why does Danny not get a game|" etc.

If I took away a one thing from the meeting, it would be that Steve Brown is fed up with the whole thing and can't leave quickly enough.....I thought he got more and more negative as the meeting went on. 

I also picked up on this and thought exactly the same as you at the time....you're right, he was clearly angry and passionate about the point he was making, and I couldn't get my head round it at the time.
On reflection though, if you are passionate about your faith then you will feel that this is a bit of personal attack...hence the "anger". ((having said all that, my comments come from a position of ignorance as I have no interest in the topic......just an observation more than anything else))
As an overall summary of the meeting, I thought it was good and more open than I thought it would be. Steve (the board) never dodged a question, apart from the Foster one (fair enough) and the slides/content were clear and pitched at the right level. Paulo's summary is spot on re content.
It would have helped having Tommy there to field some of the team selection questions....."why does Danny not get a game|" etc.
If I took away a one thing from the meeting, it would be that Steve Brown is fed up with the whole thing and can't leave quickly enough.....I thought he got more and more negative as the meeting went on. 

Agree with your comments.
Having had Stan as our guest at the last disabled supporters association meeting, it is clear that his retirement from his business has been Saints gain. Perhaps the successor is already in place.
I’d be fed up if I were in SB’s position. A business facing the difficulty and downturn such as the construction industry faces, plus running a football club where everybody knows better and could perform the role better. It’s a thankless task.

29 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

So the right back to place Foster. 

Who could it be....?

I would like to think we've at least enquired about Paul Caddis, experienced and can cover quite a few positions but he will probably get a club down south fairly easily. Whoever it is needs to be experienced, our back line is very young and an experienced head in there will do us the world of good. If we're growing a relationship with Man Utd we may end up with another Mark Lynch on loan but im guessing Foster would have been on a decent wage so their should be a bit of money available for wages

37 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

So the right back to place Foster. 

Who could it be....?

Would imagine it will be someone obvious (i.e played up here) so someone like Jason Naismith or Paul Caddis who were mentioned, or anthony ralston on loan.

If we are still looking at a left back then we are always linked to stephen Hendrie who looks like he's free .

Almost 17 hundred hours......
I had actually been given some inside info that Stevie would be signing "about 5pm" yesterday. First time in my life that I have been ITK. Felt quite good actually [emoji16]

Since he signed though I have been in tears because we go on holiday tomorrow so I will miss the Return of Stevie. [emoji21]

14 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

SB was asked about including sell on clauses. There was one on the May deal but it wasn't reached. However Saints reckon it was, but the figure stated wasn't accurate so as to avoid paying Saints their cut.  There was a very strong implication of an underhand payment to keep the stated price down.  Saints looked into pursuing it through the English league/ FA, but it couldn't be proven at all.

SB admitted it was a learning curve for Saints, and any future deals would be worded differently.

Exactly what Saints did to help out Dundee when we bought Billy Dodds. We got a free Grant McMartin thrown in but valued at £100k to reduce what Dundee had to pay Chelsea for selling on Dodds. In true football manner I  suppose, these things even themselves out over 25 seasons.

19 hours ago, Templar Saint said:

Think Saints missed a trick there as sure someone in our media team could have broadcast it live for all other season ticket holders who could have been given a code to get stream - mind you they cannot even spell remember!!

There is a match day "team" but everything else is done by Gary on his own during the week as part of his role, which I think also has a commercial side to it .Gary would have had to be there from 9am to around 9pm to cover the meeting as well.

1 minute ago, realmadrid said:

There is a match day "team" but everything else is done by Gary on his own during the week as part of his role, which I think also has a commercial side to it .Gary would have had to be there from 9am to around 9pm to cover the meeting as well.

That poor guy seems to have a hell of a job on his hands with the remit he has. Can always rely on some updates out of these things but having Paulo giving us such a comprehensive break down was greatly appreciated.