Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

2 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I'm surprised Kennedy is so rarely used through the middle after really impressing there a few times last season.

I'd be happy with MOH and Drey wide, with Kennedy off the striker, with the option for Matt and MOH to swap during the game. Worth remembering Tommy also used Drey Wright centrally when we played 5-3-2 in the 1-0 win at Motherwell last season.  When you throw in the fact that Swanson is also a quality wide player who can play off the striker as well, it really is an embarrassment of attacking riches. As you say, with that depth of quality all over the park we'd be unstoppable!

Very true. One of my primary concerns about us signing May is how ineffective he was at times playing through the middle on his own. There was a spell where he played with Hasselbaink when Maclean was injured and that worked well, so no reason why Kennedy and May couldn't strike up a similar partnership.

We could end up in a similar position to last year again where we could just about put out an entire starting 11 of attacking midfielders/strikers, with Tanser and Kerr thrown in for the lols.

13 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I think we'll get deals done as well. 

Jason Holt, Stevie May and a complete leftfield signing nobody saw coming.

Based on nothing other than optimism.

Will depend on the future of Foster but I presume were going to be on the hunt for someone capable of playing full back on either side. 

Any fullacks available on loan?

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

2 minutes ago, Saint Paul said:

We still need cover at both right and left back.  I suspect that Tommy was happy to have Foster cover left back, as he has covered there before, but if Foster goes, we only have one recognised full back at each side.  Hopefully, the issue will be sorted out quickly as this will free up wages for Tommy to do something.  I would imagine that Foster would be on a decent wage, so should free up a good chunk of budget to get in cover, as well as the midfielder and striker that we are STILL waiting for 🙄

I know all the reports have been that Foster's played his last game, but maybe with a few days cooling off period they might reach some common ground and settle on a fine and him dropped to the bench for a few games or something?

If this had happened a month or two ago then fair enough, but with us having major priorities in other areas of the park, and the fact that Foster is the only player that can play left and right back, I think we could do without the distraction of needing to replace him so late in the window.

All depends on how serious the incident was, and how pissed off the manger is with him. He does have previous for once he's made his mind up on a player then the door is pretty much shut.

I know all the reports have been that Foster's played his last game, but maybe with a few days cooling off period they might reach some common ground and settle on a fine and him dropped to the bench for a few games or something?
If this had happened a month or two ago then fair enough, but with us having major priorities in other areas of the park, and the fact that Foster is the only player that can play left and right back, I think we could do without the distraction of needing to replace him so late in the window.
All depends on how serious the incident was, and how pissed off the manger is with him. He does have previous for once he's made his mind up on a player then the door is pretty much shut.
Foster also has previous for being a complete twat. Saints shouldn't back down because of the timing. If the incident is serious enough to sack him then the timing is irrelevant.

3 minutes ago, The Marly said:

Foster also has previous for being a complete twat. Saints shouldn't back down because of the timing. If the incident is serious enough to sack him then the timing is irrelevant.

This.

We cant just accept Foster abusing the manager, after already having a warning for his behaviour, because we're short on defenders.

2 minutes ago, The Marly said:
20 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Yes depends on how serious it was.  If it was just a big blazing row with the manager then you'd hope once the dust settles and he acknowledges he was wrong and apologises then move on.

He's got a temper and has been a bawheid at times, but we need folk who care.

From all the reports so far though, it sounds as if he'll be away.

What happens if the May deal falls through (5th time?).. Is that it for him at Saints, will he have burnt his bridges or will he always be accepted with open arms? 
If I recall correctly, saints fans were furious at Vine and May the first time round in late July, got tired of all the speculation and weren't too angry at May when it fell through again, and now they can't wait for him to sign this time

[emoji23][emoji23]

19 minutes ago, LM_0803 said:

If I recall correctly, saints fans were furious at Vine and May the first time round in late July, got tired of all the speculation and weren't too angry at May when it fell through again, and now they can't wait for him to sign this time

emoji23.pngemoji23.png

Thanks for that 

Have it on good authority the May deal will be concluded this week. Source?

The same guy that was offering square goes at McDiarmid a few weeks back, as his friend is a friend of the chairman

image.png.74b57b26b1a8a2f52d475629f92c8049.png

Back down to earth:

My worry about May as I stated when Stevie's signing first came onto the horizon is that he will bring formation difficulties for Tommy with him. In my opinion he cannot play as a lone striker,  his best work and goals came from playing behind and feeding of McLean. Therefore in my opinion when he comes we will need to play 4:4:2 or 4:4:1:1 to accommodate him. Which leads me to believe we could need a striker to play in front of him. Would Hendry fit the bill, I do think Kane is good enough

Would he fit into a 4:5:1 (Tommy's favourite) or 4:4:3?

36 minutes ago, Templar said:

Back down to earth:

My worry about May as I stated when Stevie's signing first came onto the horizon is that he will bring formation difficulties for Tommy with him. In my opinion he cannot play as a lone striker,  his best work and goals came from playing behind and feeding of McLean. Therefore in my opinion when he comes we will need to play 4:4:2 or 4:4:1:1 to accommodate him. Which leads me to believe we could need a striker to play in front of him. Would Hendry fit the bill, I do think Kane is good enough

Would he fit into a 4:5:1 (Tommy's favourite) or 4:4:3?

Pretty sure we don't have enough players to field the famous 4-4-3 formation

9 hours ago, ali_91 said:

Think we can put the ‘Tommy Wright is frustrated, wouldn’t surprise me if he walked,’ comments on the back-burner for a while. 

His comments this morning are about as positive as I can remember from him. A ray of sunshine. 

Maybe because Foster is gone and the dressing room is a happy place again??

3 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

We do, it's just that Zander will be up front knocking them down for Stevie to score.

It's a while since we've seen one of Tommy infamous "different type of striker" signings like fallon or sutton. perhaps Zander playing up top is why we have 4 keepers on the books

4 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

I think we'll get deals done as well. 

Jason Holt, Stevie May and a complete leftfield signing nobody saw coming.

Based on nothing other than optimism.

That's probably the 3 that I hope will happen this week...only change would be a "rightfield" signing instead of a leftfield one....

3 minutes ago, Billy Budd said:

That's probably the 3 that I hope will happen this week...only change would be a "rightfield" signing instead of a leftfield one....

Happen this week you say?

does that mean you’re expecting more next week? :D