Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

14 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Its just short of 3 full months since TW "outlined his transfer plans" as being a "goalkeeper, left back and a striker". A week after that he said he was happy with the CB situation and would only be signing one if one left, and that he was hopeful of having a left back in before the tour of NI ended, with a striker being the priority.

Since then, we've signed a centre back on loan, and a third choice keeper who'll never play. + another goalkeeper who hopefully will never play

FTFY

5 hours ago, Kyle said:

I don’t think anyone is required to eat humble pie to be honest. The transfer strategy in this window has been farcical regardless of who we sign over the next week or so. Celtic was always a write off but there’s no reason we couldn’t have won last week if we’d had our actual squad in place. Writing off games/points at the start of the season like we’ve done this year could end up costing us league places and it’s manifested negativity between the support, the playing staff/management and the board. Its a lose-lose situation all round. 

Yet we’ve sold more season tickets?

29 minutes ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

Yet we’ve sold more season tickets?

We've discovered drama sells.

All those years of being a steady well run club with regular top four finishes and European forays, and crowds stayed about the same.

Have a summer of fucking up everything for the new season, get everyone wanting a piece of you on social media and bang!   ST sales go up.

"Hopefully something next week", for the fifth week in a row.

Maybe if you didnt sign dross like Callachan and McMillan on multi-year contracts Tommy, youd have money to spend Tommy. 

1 hour ago, Sidelines said:

Tommy, sounding more than a little frustrated.

He's far from innocent in this mess.

Fag paper maths...

Spoiler

Looking at it through Browns eyes, we've made these changes. I'm just guessing wages but trying to see if he deserves criticism for not "spending money since the cup win"..

Please don't berate me for this, its complete and utter guesswork and I'm just writing it down as I think it, rather than any detailed research. Its in spoilers so you're not forced to read what will be a mess.

14/15

Spoiler

Out v In

Lappin = Cregg (Lappin maybe higher)

McFadden = Hasselbaink (McFadden maybe took advantage of us being desperate, was never convinced Hasselbaink was paid that much)

May not replaced directly 

Morgan/Graham loans in, Clancy and McDonald left. Swanson also loaned, potentially equalised out the May wage? He signed an increased deal but Swanson will have earned more at Coventry.

Result = Chance it was equal out and in, dependent on how much we paid for the loanees.

15/16

Spoiler

Joe Shaughnessy = Gary Miller (Easy to forget Joe was signed as a young unproven player, can't have demanded much money)

John Sutton = Frazer Wright (both surely on high end wages for us, for different reasons?)

Liam Craig = Lee Croft

Swanson = O'Halloran

Doyle = Caddis

Cummins less than McFadden?

Result = Looks like potentially less being paid than what went out, but if Sutton earns more than Wright did then it went up. Fee for MOH not spent.

16/17

Spoiler

Foster = Mackay

Watson, Alston, Paton and Coulson all higher than Sutton and McKay?

Result = Looks like we spent far more on what came in, but that could've been helped by the MOH fee received the previous season/

17/18

Spoiler

Scougall = Swanson

McMillan = Coulson

Tanser less than Scobbie

Williams, O'Halloran and Willock on loan, combined similar to Paton, Watson and Cummins

Result = Not much in it, depends on loanees again

18/19

Spoiler

MacLean = Watt

Millar = Callachan

Mannus = Wright

Scougall = Kennedy

MOH greater than Watson

Result = Spending more than came in

19/20

Spoiler

Shaughnessy = Kerr new contract

Watt = Clark new contract

Easton = Parish and Duffy

Alston more than Vihmann loan

Result = Spending less than came in, but maybe equalising the excess spent last season on MOH

The similarities between the situations at St Johnstone and Kilmarnock are obvious.  One thing this does show is that it doesn’t matter if you’re the newest or longest serving manager, your plans can go wrong.

No Foster today. My understanding is there’s something happened after the Livi game and he may well have played his last game for the club. A disastrous situation because generally when he doesn’t play our team falls to bits.

Just now, Jamie_Beatson said:

No Foster today. My understanding is there’s something happened after the Livi game and he may well have played his last game for the club. A disastrous situation because generally when he doesn’t play our team falls to bits.

:lol:

f**k sake, when it rains, it doesn't half pour.

1 minute ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

That rumour seems true.

Which will mean the other rumour about a long serving staff member leaving is correct (not TW, before fans of other clubs jump to that). 

Horrendous Summer for us.

Absolutely shitting it about Duffy being first choice RB all season.

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

:lol:

f**k sake, when it rains, it doesn't half pour.

The worse news is still to follow, if the Foster one is true. Won't mean much to non-Saints fans, but to those who are, it's a massive, massive red flag considering who it is thats walking away.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

The worse news is still to follow, if the Foster one is true. Won't mean much to non-Saints fans, but to those who are, it's a massive, massive red flag considering who it is thats walking away.

Who? Cleland?

A wonderful second-hand source informed me of this Richard Foster rumour a few days ago, alongside the rumour about a certain staff member leaving. I heard the same thing from someone else a few days later so I assume it’s true.

We may well be exiting the transfer window with one left-back and one right-back at our club.