Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

29 minutes ago, Kyle said:

My avatar is currently Stevie May which means the deal isn’t dead, IMO. 

I still cant get my head around the whole situation. 

A few facts, in my opinion.

1. Aberdeen were happy to get rid for nothing to get his wage gone

2. McInnes doesnt want May, as hes not even making squads now.

3. May apparently turned down other moves as he wants to return to Saints.

4. May was Saints top striking target, to the point they offered him a huge wage.

5. May is willing to accept Saints offer.

f**k knows why it's still dragging on. Either May is in huff because he got a reduced offer, or Brown is in a huff over the change in negotiations and is now refusing to budge from his reduced offer. 

But either way, all this stalemate is doing is harming both the player and the club. Feels utterly pointless.

How many other potential (Better) targets have you missed out on because of this saga? I note that McPake was one step away from calling Rowan Vine a c**t in his pre match interview btw. Said that the deal is dead due to Hemmings coming in so we don't want him, but that May had been made a very good offer, and Vine still to this day hasn't even acknowledged that we made a bid. Some agent.

1 minute ago, ali_91 said:

There is no better target than Stevie May for St Johnstone. 

If I made an offer to take Demi Lovato out on a date, I would imagine her representatives wouldn’t bother themselves to give me a reply. 

Missing out on Kane Hemmings to pursue Stevie May is like passing up the offer to sleep with Demi Lovato for your local homeless prostitute tbf.

4 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

If I made an offer to take Demi Lovato out on a date, I would imagine her representatives wouldn’t bother themselves to give me a reply. 

true but I think they would probably phone the police.

10 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

How many other potential (Better) targets have you missed out on because of this saga?

4 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

This.

We need a proven top flight striker. May is the only player I can realistically think of that we could afford that fits that, and thats only because his attachment to the club.

Hemmings situation is an odd one, but if the club are right, we didn't fail to sign him because of May.

I'd still rather wait on May than sign McPake/Shaw on a 6 month loan tbh, but I'd also rather get someone in before the next game.

Just now, ali_91 said:

Not for St Johnstone it’s not, Stevie May brings much more than just the football ability to Saints, it’s hard to overstate just how well known he is in Perth, almost a signing that transcends football. He also is a huge character which we are short of just now, and would get the fans back on side very quickly. 

If Kane Hemmings grows beautiful wavy locks, wins Saints the Scottish Cup and turns in to a shagger then we can talk, but until then Stevie May is always going to be the best target for us. 

Pinning your hopes on a player that has scored the same amount of top flight goals as Paul McGowan has in the previous 5 year is well, words can't quite describe.

9 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Pinning your hopes on a player that has scored the same amount of top flight goals as Paul McGowan has in the previous 5 year is well, words can't quite describe.

Is he worse than Kane, Shaw or McPake?

Any striker we sign will be a gamble, one experienced in this league, who scored almost 30 goals last time he played under this manager, and who would give players and fans a boost, seems less risky than an inexperienced kid with worse stats than our current 2nd choice striker.

I get the impression you're completely stuck on his goal record though. All I'll add is that a semi-competent striker capable of playing alone could transform our team, as just now our wingers dont have anything to work with.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Is he worse than Kane, Shaw or McPake?

I think

Any striker we sign will be a gamble, one experienced in this league, who scored almost 30 goals last time he played under this manager, and who would give players and fans a boost, seems less risky than an inexperienced kid with worse stats than our current 2nd choice striker.

I get that he's a cult hero (Possibly even a legend for you lot), but it'd be akin to us signing GGH again. He looks done. The only thing May has over Shaw and McPake is that he's a proven name.  Chris Kane has scored more goals than May has in the past 5 year.

Let's be honest, on paper, Stevie May is clearly the best by a considerable distance - no question. However, on the actual pitch, evidence suggests he'll not be the man to fire you to previous heights that you reached in the past few year.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I get the impression you're completely stuck on his goal record though. All I'll add is that a semi-competent striker capable of playing alone could transform our team, as just now our wingers dont have anything to work with.

That's a fair assessment tbf.

2 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

I must admit to being happy at your scepticism though, your predictions always turn out to be the total opposite of what actually happens. A reverse Jonah for Saints if you will. 

Unfortunately, this is also fair!

45 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Not for St Johnstone it’s not, Stevie May brings much more than just the football ability to Saints, it’s hard to overstate just how well known he is in Perth, almost a signing that transcends football. He also is a huge character which we are short of just now, and would get the fans back on side very quickly. 

If Kane Hemmings grows beautiful wavy locks, wins Saints the Scottish Cup and turns in to a shagger then we can talk, but until then Stevie May is always going to be the best target for us. 

May has had five years of failure and a horrendous knee injury which is probably a major contributory factor in his calamitous loss of form yet you are prepared to gamble a large part of the club's capital resource  based on a romantic notion. There will then be no budget for much needed reinforcements in defence and midfield and if May's loss of form continues what then?

33 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I get that he's a cult hero (Possibly even a legend for you lot), but it'd be akin to us signing GGH again. He looks done. The only thing May has over Shaw and McPake is that he's a proven name.  Chris Kane has scored more goals than May has in the past 5 year.

Let's be honest, on paper, Stevie May is clearly the best by a considerable distance - no question. However, on the actual pitch, evidence suggests he'll not be the man to fire you to previous heights that you reached in the past few year.

Who do you suggest we go for then?

We have no scouting set up so the pool we shop in is tiny, May is the clear candidate as hes the only proven top flight striker going that would come.

We can't go a season with Kane and Hendry as our striking options. One has the inconsistency brought on with youth, and looks lost when played alone, while the other has zero ability in front of goal and is our best striker due to the fact he can run a lot.

Edited by RandomGuy.

59 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Who do you suggest we go for then?

We have no scouting set up so the pool we shop in is tiny, May is the clear candidate as hes the only proven top flight striker going that would come.

We can't go a season with Kane and Hendry as our striking options. One has the inconsistency brought on with youth, and looks lost when played alone, while the other has zero ability in front of goal and is our best striker due to the fact he can run a lot.

Craig Curran is free.

Nevermind you will probably sign the talented Josh McPake ahead of us....oh.

Just now, johnnydun said:

Craig Curran is free.

Nevermind you will probably sign the talented Josh McPake ahead of us....oh.

Yes a 17 year old winger is definitely the solution to our striker problem.