Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

25 minutes ago, Dele said:

"I'm bulletproof", in any context, is a fucking horrific thing to say. 

Edit : unless you're the bird in Titanium by Guetta which is still to this day an absolute banger. 

Or Chow-Yun Fat. 

That interview .... jeez. 

Pretty much every single utterance is a masterclass in how not to do personal PR, which I can only assume was the intention, or to  It also screams 'I've never had any media management training'. Maybe because that would cost money and in any case SB would know better than any trained expert. The journo probably thought it was going to be a rare but bland puff piece, must have been delighted with what he got. 

Now, just think if this downturn in the construction sector starts to bite harder with a no-deal brexit and firms that, just maybe, aren't shifting some high-value plots and may want to focus a bit more on core business. Could be interesting times ahead for Saints.

24 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Or Chow-Yun Fat. 

That interview .... jeez. 

Pretty much every single utterance is a masterclass in how not to do personal PR, which I can only assume was the intention, or to  It also screams 'I've never had any media management training'. Maybe because that would cost money and in any case SB would know better than any trained expert. The journo probably thought it was going to be a rare but bland puff piece, must have been delighted with what he got. 

Now, just think if this downturn in the construction sector starts to bite harder with a no-deal brexit and firms that, just maybe, aren't shifting some high-value plots and may want to focus a bit more on core business. Could be interesting times ahead for Saints.

GS Brown had just shy of £20m in the bank in Feb 18, plus about £25m in assets, so I'm not convinced theyd be in much bother at all tbh.

In my opinion. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

A Celtic fan on twitter claiming we're trying to loan Ewan Henderson from them now.

Since the May/Hemmings deal fell through we've only been linked with three players. Josh McPake, Oli Shaw and Henderson, all loanees, all inexperienced. 

All three the opposite of what the squad needs.

Hope theres stuff quietly going on behind the scenes that just isn't leaking out.

SB's references to applying commercial logic to the football club cut both ways, he pointed out the fact that over half the operational staff are not contributing on matchdays ie, on the field.

He doesn't acknowledge that football is not like a normal free market enterprise where the customer base will likely not stick by you with lack of investment or innovation in the product.

That said, it's difficult to criticise the financial performance of the club and the security that it affords us. It's just very very frustrating when the customers (key stakeholders) don't get to see or understand the workings behind closed doors.

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

GS Brown had just shy of £20m in the bank in Feb 18, plus about £25m in assets, so I'm not convinced theyd be in much bother at all tbh.

In my opinion. 

Not suggesting he'll be down the food bank, just that priorities change. He's already made clear that the club is a 'burden'. 

And I've not looked at the accounts so wont' comment on that. 

21 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Never forget how much reporters stitch people up in interviews. You could argue that Broon should have been a bit wiser, but I'd be surprised if the interviewer hadn't completely led him into those comments.  It is the daily record ffs!

To be fair it sounds like he just let him talk, he seems to have been canny enough to realise what he was on to. 

Having been present at Saints losing 6-0, 5-0 and 7-0 to Celtic over the past 11 months, I'd started to write it off as inevitable, and an impossible task because of Celtic's huge resources.

Then you get a team from the division below going there with Paul Paton and Aaron Comrie in the starting line up, take a match into extra time, and get within 6 minutes of nicking a draw.  Not just that, they also pulled back to 1-1 after initially falling behind.  Purely from being well organised, working their socks off and having a clear game plan.

Just goes to emphasise how shite defensively and disorganised we've been. 

8 hours ago, Nold said:

Couldn't agree more. Even Geoff felt he needed Stewart Duff and appreciated the work he did. Why does Bulletproof Steve feel he can cover both roles when he has, at best, second hand experience of either.

It was suggested above that Roddy is a football man on the board. Although his role is Associate Director, I think this is a somewhat fancy title for an administrator, albeit with club legend status. I don't think he has any input into board meetings. I mean no sleight to Roddy when I say this.

Steve appears to be the, or at least positions himself as, the all knowing autocrat, but is unfortunately seems to lack the knowledge to make it happen.

In summary, bring back Duffer, more power to administrators and question those who feel themselves unworthy of question.

Geoff and Stuart Duff were in the era prior to all of us 'football experts' voicing our opinions daily on social media.  Things could have been a lot different if they had every word and facial expression analyzed and reported about the second it occured.  Changed days .... mass hysteria rules....

If it wasnt bad enough for you guys not getting May or Hemmings it seems we have now beaten you to getting the young lad Mcpake on loan from Rangers now too. How is this happening? Surely you guys have a decent  budget still to atleast match what we offer or am I missing something?

If it wasnt bad enough for you guys not getting May or Hemmings it seems we have now beaten you to getting the young lad Mcpake on loan from Rangers now too. How is this happening? Surely you guys have a decent  budget still to atleast match what we offer or am I missing something?

I think it’ll have fallen down to one of two things.

1) Rangers believe he’ll get more game time in the championship than the premiership. It may also be beneficial being in a side who’ll be favourites for all their games and having a winning mentality.

2) Dundee May have offered to pay a larger % of his wages, or made guarantees regarding his loan Saints simply weren’t prepared to do.

On a side note, I also notice Ireland are sniffing about him for a cap due to his Irish Grandmother. The day that well dries up for them will be glorious.

I for one fully believed that when the team was crying out for a left back, central midfielder and strikers that we were going to sign a 17-year-old winger on loan when O'Halloran, Kennedy, Wright, Swanson and Wotherspoon all primarily play in that area. It's the one area of the squad where we are strong.

Bristol Rovers were linked with McPake and their manager Graham Coughlan had never even heard of the lad when asked about it.. 

5 hours ago, Numptdee said:

As you can see, we were all desperate to sign him...

On 13/08/2019 at 11:41, RandomGuy. said:

Apparently trying to sign Josh McPake on loan from Rangers.

Blue tick journalist reporting it but never heard of him.

On 13/08/2019 at 11:46, Kyle said:

A 17 year old winger.

Yeah I'm declaring bullshit on that one. Dundee seem to be looking at wingers so that fits much better than us.

On 13/08/2019 at 12:29, Radford said:

The only question to which Josh McPake would be the answer is:

Siri, what is the last thing St Johnstone need? 

On 13/08/2019 at 20:38, Lang Toon Saintee said:

let's break the habit of a lifetime and look at this logically we have Wright MOH Wotherspoon Swanson Kennedy and McLean who all play in the wide areas..TW has said that we are well covered in this position and we are looking to bring in "Leaders".So unless something has drastically changed likelihood of signing a 17-year-old winger is next to none 

On 13/08/2019 at 19:59, Dick Van Dyke said:

This better be fake 

... so to miss out is a crushing blow. The club was clearly dying to sign a winger who would be, genuinely, about 6th choice.

I sure hope you dont swoop in and out bid us for Oli Shaw next. Please, please, dont sign him.