Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

4 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

On the point about 'an evening with Steve Brown', did anyone here get allowed in?

I was going to try for a seat but they sent the email out in the middle of the day when folk are at work, didn't check my personal email until the evening and didn't bother as I expected it would be too late. 

Would be good to know if we had any P&B reps going. 

The best outcome would've been nobody turning up, tbh. Would've sent a message. 

Completely agree with Radford, RandomGuy and Lang toon Saintee. 

I wasn’t going to renew my season ticket this year because I’m getting married in October, but relented as I thought the club’s move to re-sign a legend deserved reward. I’m really regretting that decision now to be honest. I’ve had a load of issues just getting a hold of my season ticket (thankfully we have an excellent SLO). I’ve had issues in 4 of the last 5 years now as well and I’m fed up with the whole charade. Living in Glasgow, having a season of ticket keeps me coming and I fear I’ll just fall away from it without one. That in isolation would be fine but you could probably count the number of genuinely entertaining games we’ve had at McDiarmid Park on one hand in the last 2 or 3 seasons. Couple that with this summer transfer window, the continual leaking of our targets and then finding out we’ve either missed out or we’ve walked away from signings, I’m just scunnered with the whole thing now. 

It’s gotten to the point where I’m not sure even signing Stevie May on deadline day would lift my apathy. If it had been done properly a month before you’d have had some season ticket sales in the back of it and positivity going into the new season. Now it’ll be met with some excitement but mostly shrugs. 

Hate using this word but everything just feels a bit pathetic from saints right now. 

Edited by Kyle

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The best outcome would've been nobody turning up, tbh. Would've sent a message. 

Not better to send a message by going there, and ... actually giving him that message?

If nobody turns up the reaction could well be "nobody's interested in the club so why should I bother investing/listening/caring"?

1 minute ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Not better to send a message by going there, and ... actually giving him that message?

If nobody turns up the reaction could well be "nobody's interested in the club so why should I bother investing/listening/caring"?

More a "nobody cares what excuses he has" type thing. 

Hes already talked about "thick skinned and single minded" he is, 30 mins of Ghostie bellowing nonsense at him will just entrench him further.

1 hour ago, Old Pack said:

Everybody’s a bit pissed off at the moment and rightly so, heres hoping they pull a couple of decent signings out of the hat before the window shuts.
Give Jody a phone at Chelsea for starters.

That sounds like a good idea. Jody surely could find a gem to loan us.

Aye, lets sign a Chelsea reserve player, the last two that came to Scotland, Islam Feruz and Ruben Sammut, were raging successes.

The most obvious, and proven, player we can sign is available for nothing and is willing to sign a 3 year contract, on a wage we'd offered him. We're ignoring him to loan a shite kid for 6 months. I'm totally bewildered by the whole situation at this point.

More a "nobody cares what excuses he has" type thing. 
Hes already talked about "thick skinned and single minded" he is, 30 mins of Ghostie bellowing nonsense at him will just entrench him further.
This, without a word of a lie, is the exact image that put me off applying to go.
Charly Musonda
Best player Alan Preston has ever seen.

3 hours ago, Kyle said:

That in isolation would be fine but you could probably count the number of genuinely entertaining games we’ve had at McDiarmid Park on one hand in the last 2 or 3 seasons. 

See I have to disagree with this, and several others who are going on about this summer being typical of Saints' apathy the past few years.

Last summer we had to replace an ageing team, and brought in Watt, Kennedy, Wright and Swanson. And in January, MOH and Goss. Obviously not all have worked out, but that's as exciting a group of signings as we could ever reasonably hope for. We also had Kerr, Clark and Gordon emerging as exciting young first team players.

Up until last season, we were very poor to watch for a couple of years, but last season there were plenty of entertaining matches at McD (and away). We created loads of chances and played a lot of good stuff. Admittedly we wasted it with a dreadful run after the break, but there were still good performances at home to Dundee and Motherwell etc after that.

But this is where my frustration kicks in. We've put together the nucleus of an exciting team, we could have been on the brink of kicking on with a couple of key additions.

Instead, it feels we've wasted all that work spent building the team last season and lost all momentum; it's like the aftermath of the cup final all over again.  Just complete complacency. 

I genuinely thought we would sort out a couple of decent deals and all the fuss would be misplaced, but the Ollie Shaw thing has been a bit of a moment of realisation, that maybe there isn't any great signing just around the corner.  

I'd prefer we stuck with what we've got, and developed young St Johnstone players rather than young Hibs players. What a massive boot in the baws for Kane and Hendry at the quality of player whose being brought in to be ahead of them in the pecking order.

I still think we'll sign Stevie May, for what it's worth.

14 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I still think we'll sign Stevie May, for what it's worth.

I was led to believe he was close, a few days ago, through a friend of Liam Gordon. 

Robert Thomson running with the Oli Shaw story has destroyed any confidence I had in that.

17 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Up until last season, we were very poor to watch for a couple of years, but last season there were plenty of entertaining matches at McD (and away). We created loads of chances and played a lot of good stuff. Admittedly we wasted it with a dreadful run after the break, but there were still good performances at home to Dundee and Motherwell etc after that.

Have to say, Motherwell and Dundee aside I thought we played brutal football last season.

2 minutes ago, Broon_100 said:

Have to say, Motherwell and Dundee aside I thought we played brutal football last season.

You're at it.

Hate to think what you thought of the couple of seasons prior to that then. Not having it I'm afraid, some of the action involving Drey, Kennedy and Watt was great to watch. 

19 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

You're at it.

Hate to think what you thought of the couple of seasons prior to that then. Not having it I'm afraid, some of the action involving Drey, Kennedy and Watt was great to watch. 

Admittedly Drey Wright was good to watch but there were only 3 or 4 dominant performances last season. There was a spell where Watt and Kennedy up top worked but it was only a spell. There was 4 or 5 late late goals in games that changed the whole reflection of the season though which glossed over some terrible games. I think its justified to say I've not really enjoyed watching Saints as much since the old guard moved on, particularly Mackay and Millar. They improved the standard of football considerably.

I don't doubt this Saints team have potential but until we improve the central midfield and striking options we're going to be long ball merchants.

The last few pages read to me of fans genuinely disillusioned with their club, and that’s sad. That’s something the chairman can’t resolve, I don’t think he has it in him. My son and I decided not to travel to Aberdeen, Dingwall, Celtic, Rangers after missing very few matches for years. It’s too far, too long, too expensive and just too demoralising and such a negative experience at 3 of those places. There’s no respect for fans, so these fans have decided enough. Saints get nothing from us going to any away grounds. We’re also delighted that we missed Montrose and Forfar as well as our opening league game.
We don’t expect to hear every bit of news or progress on signings but this close season has been poor and we can understand those who have become unhappy with it.
Talk of diehards is absolute nonsense. We support Saints. There are no super fans.

46 minutes ago, andrewh said:

The last few pages read to me of fans genuinely disillusioned with their club, and that’s sad. That’s something the chairman can’t resolve, I don’t think he has it in him. My son and I decided not to travel to Aberdeen, Dingwall, Celtic, Rangers after missing very few matches for years. It’s too far, too long, too expensive and just too demoralising and such a negative experience at 3 of those places. There’s no respect for fans, so these fans have decided enough. Saints get nothing from us going to any away grounds. We’re also delighted that we missed Montrose and Forfar as well as our opening league game.
We don’t expect to hear every bit of news or progress on signings but this close season has been poor and we can understand those who have become unhappy with it.
Talk of diehards is absolute nonsense. We support Saints. There are no super fans.

Okay if you don't like the term diehards as a description of many disillusioned and disaffected fans..I maybe should have said many of the long term core support 

Can you lads hang about this thread til the weekend please?
I think a week in which you get papped out of Europe, the Betfred Cup and beaten by st Mirren, could be the only bit of enjoyment we Saints fans are likely to get!
Spoiler

St fucking Mirren FFS !!!

[emoji51][emoji51][emoji51][emoji51][emoji51]

Heard we played Arbroath Wednesday night. I do not know the score. But I was told Tommy did not take all of his first team squad. I would have thought it was a great opportunity to play his best team and tactics to try and get them to gel. We need consistency. But may be Tommy looked at as a chance to give back up players game time, see fringe players and put others in new positions. Anyone in the know, is there another game arranged for Saturday? If not some first team players will be 2 weeks without a game, not ideal going into our 3rd league game of the season.