Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Just now, Widge said:

He was getting no help in the first half. As a young player you’re looking for the experienced players around you to shout, encourage and manage you through the start of the game. He simply didn’t get that at all. Once Foster, Davidson and Kerr started praising and talking him through it, he was much better. It was his thinking and excellent pass which lead to the second goal. Plus he caused outrage from the fullback for rugby tackling him which was very entertaining.

Yeah he definitely grew into things, which maybe backs up TWs chat about only having one or two youngsters on at a time. I really enjoyed his booking, its not a bad thing and shows a maturity, I'm sure we lost some goals last season that could've been avoided if we'd had a player willing to do that.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

FWIW McCann completely proved me wrong, once the players around him settled down he looked every bit a top flight player I thought. Can see why TW preferred him to Craig today.

First half he was completely overwhelmed looked out of his depth, second half when he got space he improved but for all the talk of a striker(which we do need) we are desperately needing a defensive midfielder who can start play off.

Well, a few positives.. Maybe we have a bit more character in this team than I initially thought. The second-half performance was decent. Two composed finishes. Since MOH's return, the second-half of today's match is the first time I've genuinely thought, 'Now that is the Michael O'Halloran of old'.

Having said that, anything less than a victory against Livingston is a disappointment. Given the circumstances of the match, it feels like a better result than it actually is and perhaps papers over some of the cracks. I hope that the chairman is still extremely aware that we need to strengthen in a number of areas. For me, central midfield is currently the biggest issue. We let the game completely pass us by in that area of the pitch. They provide little protection for the defence and little creativity for the attack.

I've maybe missed something obvious, but I think thats the first time we've come back from 2-0 down, and ended up with at least a point, since April 2010. We were at home to St Mirren, Carey and Dorman gave them the lead before Duberry and a last minute Sheerin penalty.

Last time we came from two goals down and didn't lose was against Celtic in 2014. 3-1 down with five minutes left and it ended 3-3.

Edited by RandomGuy.

I'm going to be really brief. Most folk have covered this.

One, Livingston were lucky the ref was so utterly hopeless today. They remind me of Hearts in terms of filthy play. 

Two, I've taken some stick for my comments about Swanson for months now. After that 'performance', can anyone please tell me why we should not have him in the fucking bin?

Three, that's 2 dropped points but it's hard to argue that it was a different team in the second half. Now that we've seen we have the fight, keep we need that and 2/3 signings and we'll stay up. Simple.

Agree about McCann, I actually would have subbed him for Craig at HT as I thought we had no protection for the back 4 at all first half and he looked way off it.  After our first goal, he showed a lot of composure and started finding passes and looked much improved.

Thought Kerr looked better as well. Its so obvious he's having to be pulled all over the place covering the big lad next to him.  Hope Zander gets a confidence boost from his penalty save, and from that spectacular stop at 0-1 in the first half.

I hate to be negative about a signing, especially when he maybe needs time to settle in a new style of football etc, but Maddis so far has not been good enough. I'm afraid I thought that from quite early on at Forfar, and ever since.  I hope Tommy doesn't keep selecting him out of stubbornness. If Liam (or Ando) are available, they have to be in there ahead of him. Take him out the firing line and let him improve in training and prove himself.

Regardless of the fight, which was great to see, we were lucky we got a point today.

I think it's time for a few tough decisions to be made.

I love Danny Swanson, and always will, for what he did in his first couple of spells. At that time, he was the one creative spark, a great footballer who could make things happen amongst a team that was very effective and successful, but not particularly entertaining.

But now we have Kennedy, MOH, Wotherspoon and hopefully soon Drey Wright in wide areas. If money was no object, then he'd be a great option to keep, but we're crying out for one, possibly two, strikers and a centre midfielder. Probably a left back/ centre back as well.

He gives the ball away just about everytime he has it. He has had one good game since coming back, when he came on as a sub at Hibs last year. I hate to be saying this, but if cash is as tight as is made out, then he'd be one I'd release as the balance of our team and squad is not right.  Are we really going to run with 5 wide players this season when there's such big weaknesses in other areas?

17 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Regardless of the fight, which was great to see, we were lucky we got a point today.

I think it's time for a few tough decisions to be made.

I love Danny Swanson, and always will, for what he did in his first couple of spells. At that time, he was the one creative spark, a great footballer who could make things happen amongst a team that was very effective and successful, but not particularly entertaining.

But now we have Kennedy, MOH, Wotherspoon and hopefully soon Drey Wright in wide areas. If money was no object, then he'd be a great option to keep, but we're crying out for one, possibly two, strikers and a centre midfielder. Probably a left back/ centre back as well.

He gives the ball away just about everytime he has it. He has had one good game since coming back, when he came on as a sub at Hibs last year. I hate to be saying this, but if cash is as tight as is made out, then he'd be one I'd release as the balance of our team and squad is not right.  Are we really going to run with 5 wide players this season when there's such big weaknesses in other areas?

Love Swanson, and hate to agree, but I'd rather have Kennedy and Wotherspoon left, and Im not a fan of him central at all, so he doesn't really fit.

If Anderson, Callachan and McMillan are all being forced out, and you add Swanson, thats four hefty wages gone.

Should surely allow a quality CM and ST, plus a back up LB, and hopefully still allow an extension for Kennedy.

I hope we're not holding off signing folk until after those "outcasts" are gone, and I'd be wary of going with Vihmann and Duffy as our back up centre backs.

Edited by RandomGuy.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

If Anderson, Callachan and McMillan are all being forced out, and you add Swanson, thats four hefty wages gone.

I am sure Tommy has been trying to get them out but I believe, the reason they are still here is that no one wants them or are not willing to match there wages. Hence we have the catch 22 no one out no one in. 

That excludes Tommy's number one priority a STRIKER

4 minutes ago, The Woolshed said:

Who realistically is going to take Swanson on the wages he’s on though? Is he going to go and take a big hit? Can’t see it myself

I'd be a bit surprised if one of the Dundee based sides didn't panic sign him, if he was free to leave and they knew about it.

But aye, feels like it's an issue with a few players in the squad now, which is where you hope the club have the bravery to take a risk a bit. We cant afford to not sign anyone because we're waiting on something that might never happen.

1 hour ago, The Woolshed said:

Who realistically is going to take Swanson on the wages he’s on though? Is he going to go and take a big hit? Can’t see it myself

I also thought Utd.

Other teams that would suit him that are in the top flight are ones that have the defensive stability, are well organised and hard to beat, but miss that one creative spark. E.g. Livingston, Accies, Ross County and Kilmarnock.

Not sure the first two could afford him, but I can't imagine Bartley's wages are poor given he was at Hibs last season, so Livi are maybe capable of 'finding' cash.

24 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Sure there was a player and his family there today as guests of the club. Don't know who he was though sorry

Third times the charm...

2 hours ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Sure there was a player and his family there today as guests of the club. Don't know who he was though sorry

Yes saw him! I recognised the face but could not place a name on him though, however ill stick my kneck  out here and say he was 5ft 6/ 5ft 8. if we are intending playing the long punt up front not what we want .   

10 minutes ago, Center half said:

Yes saw him! I recognised the face but could not place a name on him though, however ill stick my kneck  out here and say he was 5ft 6/ 5ft 8. if we are intending playing the long punt up front not what we want .   

Did he look like this man?

methode_sundaytimes_prod_web_bin_d7dc6862-5e8e-11e7-b6c6-83ad27f63a22.jpg

Edited by Valentino Bolognese
Incompetence