Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

No inside knowledge, pure conjecture on my part, but from the outside it appears Saints have taken the position that as May hasn't signed for anyone else, and we've got a back up plan in Hemmings, then we hold all the aces so can save a bit of money by offering May less than before.

Lo and behold he tells us to ram it, meanwhile Dundee nip in and snap up the back up plan.  

As well as the May thing, I'm disappointed that a goalscorer of Hemmings pedigree was gettable and yet we let him slip off to a team from the division below.  I didn't think there was any way Hemmings would be heading back to Scotland.

The funny thing now is that even if we end up signing May, a lot of the positive feeling that would have originally been generated has been lost.

14 minutes ago, steviemay17 said:

never mind tho lads, there's someone on here who spouts how much more he knows than everyone else so maybe if we're nice to him he might tell us? or he might just threaten @RandomGuy. some more

I don’t spout unless some one comes out with false hoods, and I threatened him as he called me a naughty name, hth, as for itk, I’m not worried in least about rumours, confident we’ll be fine as usual, pre season knickers are us

I wonder if the 7-0 tanking and poor start to the season has made Tommy and SB realise they need to strengthen the team in more areas than just up front? With that in mind maybe what we could afford to offer Stevie last week is now less?

Reeks of a mismanaged budget and an unbalanced squad. Nobodies coming out of this shambles looking good.

13 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

I think it would be perfectly understandable if Tommy walked away. From what we know of the man, I highly doubt he will.

There has been a long-standing rumour that he was going to quit in the summer of 2014 when he wasn't backed but that the senior players talked him out of it. Who would talk him out of it now? 

12 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

The funny thing now is that even if we end up signing May, a lot of the positive feeling that would have originally been generated has been lost.

Totally. It'll be a met with an "at last" response, rather than the euphoria that should have greeted it. 

I think @ali_91 and @glenrothes 1884 saint are well off it as well. We are in big trouble. You don't recover from summers like this. We'll be down there with Accies and St Mirren, two teams that have been the course. I think we'll go down. 

3 minutes ago, Radford said:

There has been a long-standing rumour that he was going to quit in the summer of 2014 when he wasn't backed but that the senior players talked him out of it. Who would talk him out of it now? 

Totally. It'll be a met with an "at last" response, rather than the euphoria that should have greeted it. 

I think @ali_91 and @glenrothes 1884 saint are well off it as well. We are in big trouble. You don't recover from summers like this. We'll be down there with Accies and St Mirren, two teams that have been the course. I think we'll go down. 

I’m waiting until the window shuts, before worrying, the club have pulled rabbits before, still hopeful of a couple of new guys 

Speaking solely in terms of the current squad, I'd say we just about  have enough to finish 10th or 9th. But you can't underestimate the detrimental effects of a negative atmosphere on a football club's results. We can all acknowledge that our first few weeks are very tough on paper  (with the possible exception of Livingston). I believe we'll be bottom of the table after six fixtures. As I've said before, it's imperative that we bounce back from those results immediately. As things stand, the supporters are generally in a very pessimistic place and it seems like negativity is oozing from McDiarmid Park in general. Does our current team have a strong enough mindset to ignore this negativity and prevent it from impacting their performances on the pitch? I have my doubts.

As much as I see Radfords point, there is a serious amount of apathy right now with the support. Ali is correct, it’s virtually the same team that finished 7th last season, all we’ve lost is a player at the back people wanted out the team and a non-scoring striker. Ok we’re lacking in a bit of form, but it’s happened plenty of times before and as a result I’m not seeing how the same team is suddenly dead certs for relegation. There’s plenty worse in the league and it’s not like we don’t have the quality and ability to pick up points. Just not up top and we’ve had that exact problem for about 4 seasons low!

Until Hemmings is confirmed as a Dundee player, Steve should really be pulling out all the stops to get him on a permanent deal now. Offer him the same contract that Stevie May was initially offered. The May deal is officially dead now. It's most likely too late to get Hemmings, but show some ambition FFS.

Are we just going to ignore this team's form in 2019, once the much maligned Tony Watt dropped out of the picture? 15 defeats in 22 games against anyone above League Two. Wins over St Mirren (who missed a penalty), two against Dundee and one, which admittedly came with a good performance, against Motherwell. Alarm bells fucking ringing, no? 

Whilst hardly tearing up trees, Hamilton and St Mirren both improved in the second half of the season and Livingston look pretty settled to me. 

I agree with @The Real Saints about our likely league standing after 6 games and this team have shown over the past 12 months that they don't have the character to handle a setback (results firmly back that up) and even the manager has called them out about it in the press today.

If we are bottom after 6 games, are you really confident we'll fight back from that situation? 

1 hour ago, Widge said:

As much as I see Radfords point, there is a serious amount of apathy right now with the support. Ali is correct, it’s virtually the same team that finished 7th last season, all we’ve lost is a player at the back people wanted out the team and a non-scoring striker. Ok we’re lacking in a bit of form, but it’s happened plenty of times before and as a result I’m not seeing how the same team is suddenly dead certs for relegation. There’s plenty worse in the league and it’s not like we don’t have the quality and ability to pick up points. Just not up top and we’ve had that exact problem for about 4 seasons low!

50 minutes ago, Radford said:

Are we just going to ignore this team's form in 2019, once the much maligned Tony Watt dropped out of the picture? 15 defeats in 22 games against anyone above League Two. Wins over St Mirren (who missed a penalty), two against Dundee and one, which admittedly came with a good performance, against Motherwell. Alarm bells fucking ringing, no? 

Whilst hardly tearing up trees, Hamilton and St Mirren both improved in the second half of the season and Livingston look pretty settled to me. 

I agree with @The Real Saints about our likely league standing after 6 games and this team have shown over the past 12 months that they don't have the character to handle a setback (results firmly back that up) and even the manager has called them out about it in the press today.

If we are bottom after 6 games, are you really confident we'll fight back from that situation? 

You both make good points, and it could justifiably be argued either way.  It's funny, but 1 or 2 key first team standard signings (e.g. a striker and a central midfielder), and we're all back thinking what an exciting squad we have.

On the flip side, I do think we've been quite fragile mentally for the past 8 months, and would fancy other teams to handle a relegation scrap better.  Hopefully we get a decent start and it doesn't need to be an issue.

Its also the case that social media magnifies things a lot.  Are folk that don't come on here or WAP etc going to be at the same level of apathy/ worry as those that do? As frustrating as it sounds like tonight has been signing wise, I definitely think folks' opinions stir each other up a bit and create a feeling that views are representative of the entire support, when there's probably only 20 or so Saints fans that post on here.

Edited by PauloPerth

The Record is reporting that Stevie May agreed to the initial agreement without the adjustments which had presumably been suggested by him and Rowan Vine. Steve Brown made a counter-offer which was significantly less than the initial one. Absolutely shambolic.
If we're signing Hemmings it will mean the May deal is off the table - he's going to be stuck at Aberdeen the way he is carrying on.

The more I read it I can fully imagine SB has only reopened negotiations just so he can then counter with a lower offer and be like " oh you don't like it when the shoes on the other foot" and had no intention of actually completing the deal.

It's what i would do, but also worth noting i'm a petty c*nt

Don’t expect them to have lined anyone else up either.

Hopefully Arbroath avoid relegation this season as I’ve been meaning to go to a game there for a while.

I'm not even surprised at this all, tbh. Dont even care enough to get annoyed anymore, as it's all so utterly predictable. 

Brown will get what he deserves this season.

1 hour ago, Dele said:

Rumour is you're paying more for him than you were going to for Stevie May. 

*looks at RandomGuy. ^_^ *

Fire in, I'll deserve everything I get.