Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

29 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:
2 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:
So who is this new injury that we're supposed to have as of yesterday?
Was that really new news or was it Craig? 

Spoony rolled his ankle yesterday apparently

If we play 4-4-2 tonight the only cover on the bench will be for central midfield.

What a state.

Parish

Foster Duffy Kerr Tanser

Callachan Davidson McClean

Swanson

Hendry O'Halloran

Beyond that, we're down to McMillan and players under the age of 21 on the bench I think, if Spoony, Craig and Anderson all end up missing out.

Edited by Kyle

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Two months without a win last season, folk saying its unacceptable, old boys charge in to talk about how bad it was 40 years ago and how we're lucky to be seeing a top flight side. 

I'm not sure you're making the point you think you are. It isn't disputed that last year we spent an awful lot of money on imports like Kennedy, Swanson and O'Halloran. Each one an ambitious signing and worth crowing about to fans of other teams around us in the league. No question, then, that the chairman backed the manager (particularly given the overlap in playing positions and the fact they in part replaced another expensive import in Scougall).

Yet as you point out we then went two months without a win. Crowds langusihed. Expensive signings weren't getting 90 minutes or, in Swanson's case, getting on the pitch.

Have to say that if I was the chairman and was being asked to spend big again this summer I'd be looking for reassurances that our targets were considered and were going to add value. Is that the case?

If we're in a battle with Dundee for Stevie May's signature that surely says much about the wider market's opinion of his prospects.

Edited by Mr Heliums

I'm not sure you're making the point you think you are. It isn't disputed that last year we spent an awful lot of money on imports like Kennedy, Swanson and O'Halloran. Each one an ambitious signing and worth crowing about to fans of other teams around us in the league. No question, then, that the chairman backed the manager (particularly given the overlap in playing positions and the fact they in part replaced another expensive import in Scougall).
Yet as you point out we then went two months without a win. Crowds langusihed. Expensive signings weren't getting 90 minutes or, in Swanson's case, getting on the pitch.
Have to say that if I was the chairman and was being asked to spend big again this summer I'd be looking for reassurances that our targets were considered and were going to add value. Is that the case?
If we're in a battle with Dundee for Stevie May's signature that surely much about the wider market's opinion of his prospects.
That's far too sensible a post. If we don't sign Stevie May then all the other players won't matter. We will be relegated next season and will never, ever appear in the top flight of Scottish football.

3 hours ago, Kyle said:

The support is only in decline because of things like this. Literally the first day of our competitive season and we get a 'no new signings' message from the manager when we are so clearly desperate for defenders and a striker. All of this after a summer of near silence and no push/build up at all from the club. Looking at twitter/the banter page/on here you'd never know we've got our first competitive game in 9 hours time.

This summer is threatening to top the debacle of 2014 in terms of shooting ourselves in the foot with the wider support, which is some going.

Exactly.  I was there, I have the shares.  I have had a season ticket since then and before, I have one this year......will I be at the County game, na... i'll be watching the Open.  That would not of even been a choice years ago.

7 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

If we're in a battle with Dundee for Stevie May's signature that surely says as much about the market's opinion of his future prospects than it does about the chairman's frugality.

Dundee, Dundee United and St Mirren are 3 of the best supported clubs outside the top 5 in Scotland and Ross County have a sugar daddy who's willing to put money into signing players and are probably the clubs best place to compete with us for a player like May's signature. Motherwell and Kimarnock are the two obvious ones who haven't been mentioned, but one was a direct rival with Aberdeen last season and finished above them and the other don't seem to be in the market for a striker right now.  Given our history with May, where he's from and the fact we're crying out for a striker, it should be quite a straight forward process for us to get him in.

I appreciate it's not as black and white as all that, but generally speaking the clubs that have been linked with him are the ones I'd expect to be up against for May.

Edit: I can't really dispute the rest of your post to be fair. Kennedy has been a runaway success, O'Halloran a qualified success but Swanson hasn't been given a chance and Scougall turned out to be a bit of a disaster. I'm not really sure what more evidence Wright can give on Stevie May though. The guy scored 2 goals to get us to a cup final and 27 goals over the course of his only full season with us. If we pay £100k for him, we've still made £700k + whatever sell on we got when we went to Preston and we'll have the poster boy back with us.

Edited by Kyle

Steve Brown does get a lot of shit, but he's come out and clarified things regarding Stevie May and the season ahead. Fair play to the man and fair play to the club responding to the reports this morning. I'm not sure I quite understand how we can have exceeded our budget for this season however - we offered Watt, Easton and Shaughnessy new contracts which they turned down. Just how over budget was he willing to go for those 3 players?

"We’re lucky to have a squad of players with a lot of talent in all areas of the pitch. It’s been well documented that in the past few weeks we’ve been hit with some horrendously bad luck with injuries but the good news is that these injuries have not been too serious and most of the players should be fit and available if not tonight, then for the remaining Betfred Cup Group Stage fixtures.

"As always at this time of year we are working hard to get other players in and the Manager has been identifying potential strikers to add to the squad to replace Tony Watt.

"Stevie May is one of those strikers identified but while we are in touch with Stevie’s representatives it’s important to point out that he is still a registered Aberdeen player.

"To assemble the squad we currently have, the club has already exceeded the set budget for the 2019/20 season. However, just as we did in January with Michael O’Halloran, we are prepared to go that extra mile to make a serious attempt in bringing Stevie back to St Johnstone.

Edited by Kyle

Fair play to Brown tbh, all I've ever wanted from him is an honest answer as too often we're left in the dark.

Not sure how we've exceeded the budget but I'm utterly clueless about what wages folk are on so it's pure presumption on my part.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Fair play to Brown tbh, all I've ever wanted from him is an honest answer as too often we're left in the dark.

Not sure how we've exceeded the budget but I'm utterly clueless about what wages folk are on so it's pure presumption on my part.

After your drama queen antics regarding this whole saga I really hope for your sake May signs for the Saintees. Means much more to you guys than it does to us. And let's face it - he is a bit pish now anyway.

2 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

We've already have exceeded the budget, how?

Presumably this includes Zander's new contract. 

Just now, Chewing Taffies said:

After your drama queen antics regarding this whole saga I really hope for your sake May signs for the Saintees. Means much more to you guys than it does to us. And let's face it - he is a bit pish now anyway.

😂 cry those salty tears.

I couldn't really give a f**k if May joins or not, on one hand even though he's a cripple he'd probably do a better job than all the other strikers at the club, on the other it's an expensive disaster waiting to happen. Personally I'd prefer someone else, someone a bit less hairy and a bit less Newburgh. 

Brings back some awful drugged up memories. 

5 minutes ago, Chewing Taffies said:

Given his competition is Chris Kane, David McMillan and an unproven Callum Hendry, pish is quite a substantial upgrade.

Edited by Kyle