Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

18 hours ago, Kyle said:

That's only part of it. Wright hasn't mentioned May since his initial burst of enthusiasm about us trying to get him, McInnes said there had been no movement since the Monday when he had his chat with May and I think Wright's demeanour in his interview on Friday night was quite telling. Most of the interview can be explained away with frustration at the defeat, manner of the goals conceded, luck and lack of a new left back/defensive option in the squad but I didn't like the last 20 seconds or so of the interview. 'Hopefully we have the scope to bring someone else in'. Surely 'the scope' shouldn't really be in question - it's just the club's ability to get one of his targets in that position over the line. The 'scope' comment could be down to us holding off to see how much May takes out of the remaining budget, but I'm starting to fear a 2014 style 'no signings' announcement from him and the chairman over the next few days.

I fucking hate being right all the time.

8 hours ago, Broon_100 said:

I know we've said it all before but Saints PR is absolutely fucking terrible. The eve of the start of the new season and the club have managed to create a fog of negativity around McDiarmid Park that only we could manage.  No promotional tweets, hardly any videos on social media, no creativity and no buzz.

I'm fairly sure even if we managed to sign bloody Stevie May and big Danzell it would appear on the footnote of an article about Liam Craig getting injured or something.

Maybe I'm being harsh but they make absolutely no effort to get the fans interested. 

Couldn’t agree more. The club do not have a clue when it comes to this. Ross Cunningham laid some really good foundations but those who followed him in the role have undone all his good work. 

Look at what Motherwell do. The difference it can make having someone who knows what they’re doing is huge. 

1 minute ago, Goran said:

Couldn’t agree more. The club do not have a clue when it comes to this. Ross Cunningham laid some really good foundations but those who followed him in the role have undone all his good work. 

Look at what Motherwell do. The difference it can make having someone who knows what they’re doing is huge. 

100% agree. Given the positivity in their thread and in the media about them, you'd never believe they finished below us in the league. You reap what you sow.

Do the club have any idea how the fans feel about how we do our business? 

I'm sure at one point we used to get a wee survey through. What type of Customer dependent business does not take the time to ask their customers what they think?

Fans naturally should be at bursting point desperate for the season to start. You have to ask serious questions about how we engage with fans if we've managed to ruin even that. 

Adding a budget of £100k a year to a social media team (inc salaries) would only require you to add 200/250 adults to the home gate throughout the season. Surely to god that's achievable?

Edited by Broon_100

5 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

The only little bit of hope I have left is that Tommy seems to say this every year, I’m sure there’s a budget there, he’s probably just nudging the chairman for more.

You're forgetting we've just put in a new ticketing system.

Cant have players sitting in the stand when you've got that to pay for.

I think that I’ll go along to Links Park tonight, just to have a wee smile at the Saintee fans as they lose the plot when Montrose steamroller their team. Also hope that Stevie May signs for Dundee before kick off tonight.

The same was said last year and the year before that, last year Brown also said f**k it have another player we don’t need in Swanson. People are panicking for the season ahead waaaay too soon. Yes it’s not great going into the first league cup match like this, but if we didn’t have injuries people probably wouldn’t care so much.

There’s irons in the fire, just let it all pan out and then come the start of the league season judge the window.

4 minutes ago, Widge said:

The same was said last year and the year before that, last year Brown also said f**k it have another player we don’t need in Swanson. People are panicking for the season ahead waaaay too soon. Yes it’s not great going into the first league cup match like this, but if we didn’t have injuries people probably wouldn’t care so much.

There’s irons in the fire, just let it all pan out and then come the start of the league season judge the window.

I'm not panicking about the squad but I don't really appreciate the dishonesty. 3 weeks ago we were a few days away from signing a left back and Clark was 48 hour away from signing a new contact and then about 10 days ago, Wright very enthusiastically declared that the chairman was in talks with Aberdeen and he'd hope things would become clear 'over the next few days'.

Fast forward to today -no new signings and we apparently need to offload one or two players from a squad of 22 (which includes McClean, McCann and Duffy) to be able to just bring more players in and the manager is apparently comfortable with that. There's no way he's comfortable with having only 6 defenders or being stuck with the same striking options that managed 7 league goals between them last season.

Out of the 22 - who is he going to offload? He can't offload another defender as that would be mental. Swanson is a possibility but it would be pretty crazy to do that now when he's showing signs of recapturing his old form. The only obvious one is McMillan but if we do that, we have 2 natural strikers in the squad - one who is very injury prone and the other is inconsistent.

Out - Bell, Comrie, Keown, Shaughnessy, Easton, Goss, Alston, Watt + the vast majority of our reserves

In - McCann, McClean, Anderson, McMillan, Parish, Duffy

Robert Thomson - who is about as reliable as it gets when it comes to Saints - has said the budget hasn't been reduced. Where has the money from the above list gone? Kerr and Clark (if he ever actually signs) will have had significant pay increases and Kennedy will probably require the same if we hope to keep him, but they wont have swallowed the wages of the likes of Shaughnessy, Easton and Watt and there's no way Parish or Duffy are high earners either.

5 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Out - Bell, Comrie, Keown, Shaughnessy, Easton, Goss, Alston, Watt + the vast majority of our reserves 

Lets speculate here 

Shaughnessy = £2K pw

Easton £2k pw

Alston = £1K

Watt = 2.5kpw

Add in the loans and reserves and we have saved over £8-10k pw and we are still pleading poverty

Not signing May because of finances would be one of the most short sighted business moves we’ve ever made. If he goes to Dundee we’ll alienate a lot of people. We sign him and they’d be through the gate on Sunday for the County game, absolutely no question. And that’s before you get to the fact we desperately need a striker and are going to have to pay one anyway.

2 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Kerrs new deal wouldn't have been cheap, Liams is now a proper first team players wage. Zanders been offered a great deal, Tansers has been improved a great deal...... these all add up lads.

True, true.  Did not know Liam and Tanser has improved deals.  I could see that eating into the first team savings

18 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Kerrs new deal wouldn't have been cheap, Liams is now a proper first team players wage. Zanders been offered a great deal, Tansers has been improved a great deal...... these all add up lads.

Kerr and Gordon's wages will have increased but there's no way it's cost us as much as Shaughnessy was on and even if Tanser is up to the level of Easton's old wage (which he wont be) then we still have whatever his wage was to spare. 

Edited by Kyle

10 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Not signing May because of finances would be one of the most short sighted business moves we’ve ever made. If he goes to Dundee we’ll alienate a lot of people. We sign him and they’d be through the gate on Sunday for the County game, absolutely no question. And that’s before you get to the fact we desperately need a striker and are going to have to pay one anyway.

On the flip side I wouldn't be surprised if Dundee would match his reported £4k a week. Are Aberdeen also expecting a fee? No way Saints would stretch to that. From May's perspective, he probably has a mortgage and a lifestyle that's funded by that £4k a week. Could he drop 30%? Would you? Not sure I could.

Edited by Broon_100

46 minutes ago, Widge said:

I'm not saying for one second that you're wrong, but point is that if you are right then that's what the team should be saying to the fans.

I agree that if we didn't have injuries we'd be more relaxed but if my auntie had balls etc. Point is we're a premiership team with what seems like 13 fit players, our 1st team choice keeper seeming to be havering about signing a contract. All of this might be explainable, but how do we know?

We shouldn't need to be some sort of support group for the trauma that our own team's lack of communication is putting us through!

1 hour ago, Broon_100 said:

Do the club have any idea how the fans feel about how we do our business? 

I'm sure at one point we used to get a wee survey through. What type of Customer dependent business does not take the time to ask their customers what they think?

Fans naturally should be at bursting point desperate for the season to start. You have to ask serious questions about how we engage with fans if we've managed to ruin even that. 

Adding a budget of £100k a year to a social media team (inc salaries) would only require you to add 200/250 adults to the home gate throughout the season. Surely to god that's achievable?

Does our season ticket holder numbers fluctuate by much from year to year or is it a loyal band who renew annually? Do you their number?

37 minutes ago, Broon_100 said:

On the flip side I wouldn't be surprised if Dundee would match his reported £4k a week. Are Aberdeen also expecting a fee? No way Saints would stretch to that. From May's perspective, he probably has a mortgage and a lifestyle that's funded by that £4k a week. Could he drop 30%? Would you? Not sure I could.

Let's not make excuses by claiming hes somehow financially beyond us. If he signs elsewhere then that's on Steve Brown.