Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

That's the public list, that's always incomplete. You need to email the SFA and ask for the official club issue list. If you fire an email off now, then might get it tonight. Mind and ask for the club issue list though. 

13 minutes ago, Radford said:

That's the public list, that's always incomplete. You need to email the SFA and ask for the official club issue list. If you fire an email off now, then might get it tonight. Mind and ask for the club issue list though. 

You'd have whooshed me further if you hadn't tried to suggest the SFA would respond to an email within two weeks.

Swimming against a sea of worry and negativity, the lifebuoy of positivity we should grasp with both hands is our new home strip.

I saw it in the flesh for the first time today, and it's a thing of beauty. We might be in the midst of an injury crisis, have no defence for the start of the campaign, and lack a top striker, but if there's one thing Love Island has taught us about the modern game, it's that looking good is everything.

We'll be fine.

6 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Swimming against a sea of worry and negativity, the lifebuoy of positivity we should grasp with both hands is our new home strip.

I saw it in the flesh for the first time today, and it's a thing of beauty. We might be in the midst of an injury crisis, have no defence for the start of the campaign, and lack a top striker, but if there's one thing Love Island has taught us about the modern game, it's that looking good is everything.

We'll be fine.

A wonderful piece by St Johnstone's fashion correspondent. :}

I am now with the corespondent "do not get despondent." I am grasping the buoy positivity.  Only positive posts from now until the season starts.

PS always liked yellow it is the sign of freshness, happiness, positivity, optimism, loyalty and joy.  

54 minutes ago, Templar said:

A wonderful piece by St Johnstone's fashion correspondent. :}

I am now with the corespondent "do not get despondent." I am grasping the buoy positivity.  Only positive posts from now until the season starts.

PS always liked yellow it is the sign of freshness, happiness, positivity, optimism, loyalty and joy.  

A fine piece. Welcome aboard!

Does anyone not think that's quite a poor situation for a stable club like Saints to find themselves in? Folk don't need to be apologists for everything the club does. It's not being reactionary or unreasonable to look at things in a rational manner and come to what might be considered a negative conclusion. Doing the opposite to that just facilitates the malaise that is partly to blame for the situation arriving in the first place.
In short, get a fucking defender signed for Tuesday.

For me this quote hits the nail on the head. We are perfectly entitled to vent frustration at the lack of foresight going into the Betfred Cup. I have full trust in Tommy and I admire the way the club has been run with the Browns at the helm, but the lack of depth in the squad is alarming. A slow start to the season can be catastrophic and I’d point to the slump we had after the 3 Celtic games as to what can happen when confidence goes from a team. There’s no doubting there’s a solid 12-14 players who when fit would keep us up IMO, but 5/6 injuries have now put us in a very difficult position and the season hasn’t even started. Get Zander tied down (and tell us the extent of the injury, May in on a permanent deal and at least one defender, ideally two and the situation changes dramatically. Just hope things start to happen sooner rather than later.

1 minute ago, The Woolshed said:

A slow start to the season can be catastrophic 

Like that time we were bottom after losing something like 5 of our first 7?

Think we finished 3rd and made Europe that year.

Also have you seen our league fixtures? We could be in a very tricky situation after 7 games this season. 

2 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Embrace the future Tam, don't fight it.

Love fucking island?

I've lasted about 2 minutes of that shite, folk who watch that are no righters.

Whilst it's just the diddy Cup to some, I'd be a bit gutted if we failed to qualify for the knockout stage of the Betfred Cup, being one of the two competitons we have any chance of winning.

This will be the hardest group we've faced, with Ross County being a far tougher opponent than Falkirk have been in our previous groups.

Worst case scenario, if we're still blighted with injuries this time next week and fail to beat Ross County, we've obviously got to be looking at winning the other 3 fixtures; no guarantees when you think of the difficult matches Montrose and Forfar gave us last season when we had a full team and Tony Watt scoring goals.

We've also got to be looking to establish a decent goal difference. Last season ICT, and the season before Peterhead, both failed to qualify as best four runners up despite having 9 points and goal differences of +1. 

So basically, any kind of win at both Montrose and Forfar, and try to rack up a few goals in the home match with Brechin. That way even a draw in the County game would probably be fine, and a decent result given where we're at with injuries and the squad.

Yeah, the only occasions that 9 points haven't been enough is when the teams have had a GD of just +1. As long as we don't get a tanking from County, winning the other three games should be enough but the two away fixtures will be hard, especially Forfar if they have a chance of qualifying. Hopefully playing Montrose midweek gives us a bit of an advantage there. 

We can debate the rights and wrongs of the squad building approach but either argument will only be justified come a fortnight. Although even then, I'd still believe we've got lucky (if we are through) in a sense as only having 14 players is pretty shambolic. If we go out, then TW and SB will need to take the stick coming their way. It's going to be followed by a very tough start in the league too... 

Yes we may have injuries, but both Clark and Kennedy are fit and the only real players missing are Kane and Gordon. Should we have brought a few more players in by now, yes, but it could also be that Tommy is waiting for some boys in England at bigger teams to come in on loan. Chelsea for example took basically their whole squad away and have only started sending boys back and out on loan. We can still field a team of -

Clark

Foster-Duffy-Kerr-Tanser

Craig-Davidson

O’Halloran - Kennedy/Wotherspoon - Swanson

Hendry

If anyone tells me that team isn’t good enough to beat with no disrespect the lower league teams then they must be brilliant. I’m only not convinced it wouldn’t have a good chance of beating County given they’ve just lost their new first choice goalie to injury and still play with Marcus Fraser and Sean Kelly at fullback!

24 minutes ago, Widge said:

Yes we may have injuries, but both Clark and Kennedy are fit and the only real players missing are Kane and Gordon. Should we have brought a few more players in by now, yes, but it could also be that Tommy is waiting for some boys in England at bigger teams to come in on loan. Chelsea for example took basically their whole squad away and have only started sending boys back and out on loan. We can still field a team of -

Clark

Foster-Duffy-Kerr-Tanser

Craig-Davidson

O’Halloran - Kennedy/Wotherspoon - Swanson

Hendry

If anyone tells me that team isn’t good enough to beat with no disrespect the lower league teams then they must be brilliant. I’m only not convinced it wouldn’t have a good chance of beating County given they’ve just lost their new first choice goalie to injury and still play with Marcus Fraser and Sean Kelly at fullback!

Issue there is Duffy and Hendry. Duffy is a right back with no senior experience, theres every chance he'd go into CH and get absolutely bodied, while Hendry completely flopped with League One Brechin last season, and has looked lost every time hes been up front alone, yet we'd be expecting him to finish the chances?

Last season we drew with East Fife at home, and then narrowly beat a Montrose side who dominated the final phase of the match and hit the bar, I can remember us having small phases of that game on top but it was far from easy. Even the game against Falkirk, who ended the season relegated, was a slog with one brilliant pass the only difference. 

Until we get in a quality striker, then we'll be completely reliant on O'Halloran and Swanson to get us through this group.

Edited by RandomGuy.