Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

8 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

And those guys weren’t even trialists. I’m trying to recall the last time I heard the name of a Saints trialist and thought, ‘Ah yes, I’m familiar with this guy’s work’. Dick Van Dyke is on the wind-up surely.

Julien Faubert?

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

@steviemay17

Rumour emerged from Aberdeen fans last night that May's agreed his release from Aberdeen...

Given they’ve signed Main and Wilson on top of Cosgrove I’d be amazed if May hung around at Aberdeen next season. Bring him home.

Just can’t see us funding the wages he will be on at Aberdeen. Would they realistically want to loan him to a potential rival club (slim slim chance of us rivalling them, I know). I’d 100% take him back though. Worth a chance IMO though.

If Aberdeen have paid him off, we might as well give him our best offer and see if he'll accept it.

Given Aberdeen paid £400,000 (I think?) for him 2 years ago, I can't see this being true. They'll want to at least try and recoup some of their outlay for him surely?

Just now, Kyle said:

If Aberdeen have paid him off, we might as well give him our best offer and see if he'll accept it.

Given Aberdeen paid £400,000 (I think?) for him 2 years ago, I can't see this being true. They'll want to at least try and recoup some of their outlay for him surely?

You would think so but given they have signed multiple replacements, his form and injury record they have zero leverage in negotiating a fee so might be best cut their losses?

4 minutes ago, steviemay17 said:

You would think so but given they have signed multiple replacements, his form and injury record they have zero leverage in negotiating a fee so might be best cut their losses?

It's not even just the fee, it's the wages he'll be due until 2021. Why would May accept anything less than his full contract being paid up? As far as we know, he doesn't have anywhere to go at the moment so holds all the cards in terms of negotiating a pay off. If he knows what his next contract will look like, he might be happy to take whatever the difference is but what he's currently earning now is probably the highest amount he'll earn for the rest of his career. I'd be reluctant to walk away without the full shebang. 

Edited by Kyle

It's not even just the fee, it's the wages he'll be due until 2021. Why would May accept anything less than his full contract being paid up? As far as we know, he doesn't have anywhere to go at the moment so holds all the cards in terms of negotiating a pay off. If he knows what his next contract will look like, he might be happy to take whatever the difference is but there's what he's earning now is probably the highest amount he'll earn for the rest of his career. I'd be reluctant to walk away without the full shebang. 

This depends upon what his motivation in his career is. Money or playing and potentially revitalising his football ability. If it’s the latter then he may just get back to one more decent contract while also getting back to playing (well you’d hope) and not stagnating on the bench, albeit picking up a very decent wage for the next 2 years or so.

9 minutes ago, Kyle said:

*shrugs shoulders*

I'm sure I could concoct a theory that involves them freeing up his wages to go towards McGeough, and the player being deeply unhappy there, being told hes fourth choice, and wanting to play somewhere he'll be happy to rediscover his form.

13 minutes ago, Kyle said:

It's not even just the fee, it's the wages he'll be due until 2021. Why would May accept anything less than his full contract being paid up? As far as we know, he doesn't have anywhere to go at the moment so holds all the cards in terms of negotiating a pay off. If he knows what his next contract will look like, he might be happy to take whatever the difference is but what he's currently earning now is probably the highest amount he'll earn for the rest of his career. I'd be reluctant to walk away without the full shebang. 

Very much doubt we'll pay him off. It is feasible that we might waive any transfer fee if someone wanted him to get him off the books.

Down to the player himself really, his next deal won't be as good as the one he's on now so difficult for him to walk away from that, although it might be the best thing for him.

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Very much doubt we'll pay him off. It is feasible that we might waive any transfer fee if someone wanted him to get him off the books.

Down to the player himself really, his next deal won't be as good as the one he's on now so difficult for him to walk away from that, although it might be the best thing for him.

That's where we may find an impasse. There's no way we'll be able to match Aberdeen's wage so it'll probably come down to May's willingness to move and/or Aberdeen's willingness to make up at least some of the difference in wages. 

Could be a loan bridges that in the short term and what ends up happening if he does come back to Perth.

Also remember its not like we pay players the minimum wage, he could still make a reasonable living at Saints. He's got 4/5 years of English championship wages behind him and some people do value a sense of belonging and happiness over money.... 

42 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Just trying to research this, I think hes on 3.5k a week at Aberdeen, with the cuts weve made easy to see us being able to afford 2-3k, If Aberdeen agree to pay the 1-2k difference it still saves them around 300k over the next 3 years, its not all about getting a fee up front

Just trying to research this, I think hes on 3.5k a week at Aberdeen, with the cuts weve made easy to see us being able to afford 2-3k, If Aberdeen agree to pay the 1-2k difference it still saves them around 300k over the next 3 years, its not all about getting a fee up front
If we are going to pay anyone 3k a week (which isn't likely) it won't be on Stevie.

I'd like to couple up with the big fella :wub:

I know Wright is saying he only wants to sign one more defender but I think we're realistically two short. I'd be happy with big Danzell coming in as he looks like an absolute monster.

Edited by Kyle