Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

27 minutes ago, Center half said:

What has been Easton playing appearances over the last 5 seasons?  I have a idea he has struggled for a bit over that time??

So Mabey a Tam Scobbie type of deal has been offered to him! I wonder if Tam would accept it now if the clock was turned back?     

I'd guess he played the majority of games over 5 years. Was it not just the last 18 months hes struggled with? Cant remember the half season before he completely dropped out.

Doesnt feel as big a blow as it wouldve a year or two back, Tanser has really stepped up. Just adds another position needing filled though. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

He’s played what, half a dozen games in 2 seasons. We’ve essentially been playing without a back up left back for that length of time now. Whilst playing Easton a first team wage. Based on what I saw on Saturday, will he ever be the same player again, no. Would I want him starting for us if that’s how he’s going to play, definitely no. Footballs harsh and saints have stood by him and done the right thing offering him a reduced deal, if he doesn’t accept and goes elsewhere that’s fine. Bit of a kick in the teeth to the manager and fans I’d say, but actually I’d rather we picked up a younger, possibly more versatile left back with no injury history like War and Peace.

52 minutes ago, Radford said:

Is it fair play to him? 

I understand that players are entitled to look after themselves and their families financially but... 

I think it is. It's quite clear from what the manager has said that Easton has been offered a short term deal, a massive pay cut or potentially both. If there are appearance related bonuses, he has to consider whether he thinks he'll get back in ahead of Tanser, which I wouldn't back him to do on the basis of the last season.

45 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

Surely it wasn't derisory that Saints at least offered a deal to someone who's hardly played for two years and still doesn't look anywhere near ready for the first team. (And even before his injury he wasn't the same player he was in 2014.) We'd be foolish to not to have learned from our experiences with Frazer Wright or Dave Mackay. 

The club has to do right by itself obviously but the same argument applies to Easton. It's a kick in the stones that he's been on full pay for the last 18 months and not kicked a ball and now that's fit enough to play he's leaving but maybe he feels he can't live on whatever we're offering, or he feels there's a chance he'll be without a club at all whenever this deal expires. The last time we offered a player battling back from a long term injury a contract was Davidson and that only until the end of August so not inconceivable we've done the same thing again.

No hard feelings from me if he goes. I can see why people are disappointed but he's essentially a second choice left back now. I'm sure we'll be able to find a younger player to come in a hopefully push Tanser if Easton does go.

The manager did say he wanted him here "next season" in his weekend quotes. A short-term deal wouldn't really have suited Saints as he'd be our only natural cover at left back. I reckon he'd have an offer for the whole season but accept the terms would be much reduced. 

I'm not expecting him to live on the breadline and without knowing details, I suppose it's unfair to comment too much. 

Maybe Accies told him they could offer him a better deal if they stayed in the Premiership... 

I saw him a couple of times for the reserves and he looked a bit off being match fit.He probably needs a full pre season under his belt  before he regains full fitness.Also with Tanser now being established as first choice left back he probably feels that at 31 he would rather be playing every week rather than being a back up 

Have I made this up or did Easton play on the left of a back three for you guys before? 

Rice usually plays with a narrow formation, although I don't know if that's just because of the squad he inherited, which means the full-backs need to cover a lot of ground to push up and provide width. I have my doubts that Easton will be capable of doing so, so I'm wondering if Rice sees his future somewhere other than left-back. 

Have I made this up or did Easton play on the left of a back three for you guys before? 
Rice usually plays with a narrow formation, although I don't know if that's just because of the squad he inherited, which means the full-backs need to cover a lot of ground to push up and provide width. I have my doubts that Easton will be capable of doing so, so I'm wondering if Rice sees his future somewhere other than left-back. 

Not for the first team, we don’t tend to play 3 at the back. However he’d apparently been playing centre back for the reserves this season, so there may be merit in that.

Not sure he’s good enough or aggressive enough in the air to play centreback, but then I’m not sure he’s got the legs to play fullback anymore.

I vaguely recall him playing left centre back maybe once or twice. I remember a game against Rangers at around Christmas in 2016(?)  where we started with a back 4 and moved to a back 3 midway through the first half. Rather than play Easton there, I'm sure we shifted Foster over to play on the left of a back 3 from right back rather than just moving Easton in one. 

I don't think he's aggressive enough to be effective as a centre back to be honest.

Saints have played a blinder here imo. Offer Easton a pretty poor contract(compared to what he has been on most of his career), he gets his head turned by a better deal elsewhere and moves on. Our fans think he's shown not a lot of loyalty in doing this but accept he's moved on for his families sake, he then breaks down in pre season, well played lads, well fucking played. Thanks for your efforts Brian, now off you pop son.

59 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Ruthless Tam, ruthless.

No room for sentiment in business Paulo. We've been more than accommodating for big Brian, think the grass is greener lad? Off you pop and enjoy the championship in 18 months time when you get back fit again while we enjoy European football.

Edited by tree house tam

18 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

No room for sentiment in business Paulo. We've been more than accommodating for big Brian, think the grass is greener lad? Off you pop and enjoy the championship in 18 months time when you get back fit again while we enjoy European football.

Yes I don't disagree overall. 

Big gamble for Accies though if they're offering a full season or more deal, as it's a long time without playing competitive football. Who knows how he'll bounce back?

Similar to Scobie, Tommy obviously saw Easton as ideal in terms of being cover at left back, and able to play left centre back if required, and hoped to sort it on a deal that didn't take away too much of his budget.

Hopefully it doesn't take too much time or money to line up an alternative, so we can get on with sorting the priority positions.

Edit - Good luck to big Eastie, been brilliant for us over a tremendous few years, and wish him all the best.  Really good lad as well on the few occasions I met him.

Edited by PauloPerth

So Easton’s linked with a return to Hamilton within a week of setting up their second goal in a crucial game? I look forward to the seethe once some folk drag themselves away from our ongoing ticketing shambles. [emoji23]

2 hours ago, codfish said:

So Easton’s linked with a return to Hamilton within a week of setting up their second goal in a crucial game? I look forward to the seethe once some folk drag themselves away from our ongoing ticketing shambles. emoji23.png

Just because it looked like an assist you see in a striking drill doesn't mean anything Codfish.

Kind of hoping the bung money would go on a striker but I'm thinking #infrastructure now tbh.

Edited by Kyle

32 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Kennedy confirming he'll be off this Summer...

It feels like every good player weve had over the past few years have spoken about how much they love it here and settled, and then in a few months we get them saying we didnt offer enough and tommy coming out saying the agents are greedy , is this even newsworthy ?

There was a game against you guys in September 2017 where we were losing 1-0 to you at half-time. Tommy brought Tanser on and switched to a back 3 with Brian playing on the left of the 3. Maybe this is where you saw it. Certainly wasn't a regular occurrence though.