Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

RG put this in the season ticket renewals thread:

I think that’s a bit dearer for East Stand from last year??

As well as the brilliant offer for kids, the deals to teenagers are also great.

13-16 yrs  £85 in East Stand and

17-20 yrs  £110 in East Stand

are excellent offers, really deserves to see a good uptake.

8 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

RG put this in the season ticket renewals thread:

I think that’s a bit dearer for East Stand from last year??

As well as the brilliant offer for kids, the deals to teenagers are also great.

13-16 yrs  £85 in East Stand and

17-20 yrs  £110 in East Stand

are excellent offers, really deserves to see a good uptake.

Thought I'd posted it here too, my bad.

Screenshot_20190514-184100_Drive.thumb.jpg.7801a083baec4e99ea34ace500c48e2b.jpg

It was 20 years ago today that we got a point at Rugby Park in front of 15,086 fans to take the race for third place down to the final day. 

Hard to comprehend a crowd of that size now. Remember it was a glorious day and Killie were all over us early on and got their goal pretty quickly. Lauchlan clearing off the line after Simao was already celebrating after chipping Marshall and then Bollan scoring a really scrappy equaliser. 

So many brilliant memories from that season. 

2 hours ago, Radford said:

It was 20 years ago today that we got a point at Rugby Park in front of 15,086 fans to take the race for third place down to the final day. 

Hard to comprehend a crowd of that size now. Remember it was a glorious day and Killie were all over us early on and got their goal pretty quickly. Lauchlan clearing off the line after Simao was already celebrating after chipping Marshall and then Bollan scoring a really scrappy equaliser. 

So many brilliant memories from that season. 

I remember that one well. We had a few of our main attacking players out injured as well so were a bit of a cobbled together side, as I remember it.

The following Saturday was the record attendance of 10.5 thousand or so for the decider against Dundee.

It is a crazy crowd looking back. Killie can’t even get anywhere near that even against the old firm these days.

46 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I remember that one well. We had a few of our main attacking players out injured as well so were a bit of a cobbled together side, as I remember it.

Think Keigan Parker possibly made his debut that day as a late sub. 

Strength of that squad compared to now?

Our average crowd that season was over 7,000.

How times have changed - now that would see you as the best supported team in Scotland outside the ‘city’ clubs.

Obviously reduced crowds isn’t a problem limited to St Johnstone, but the drop-off does seem pretty sharp when you consider the family pricing etc you guys offer - probably been done to death, but what do you reckon caused that?

3 minutes ago, codfish said:

Obviously reduced crowds isn’t a problem limited to St Johnstone, but the drop-off does seem pretty sharp when you consider the family pricing etc you guys offer - probably been done to death, but what do you reckon caused that?

I think the club were still feeling the benefits of the stadium move at that time, it was relegation in 2002 that really killed that. 

It's beyond disappointing that you look at that family stand where it's £16 to get in and free for kids and some weeks I'm not sure there are even 100 folk in there. That can't be a price issue. 

7 minutes ago, codfish said:

How times have changed - now that would see you as the best supported team in Scotland outside the ‘city’ clubs.

Multiple factors.

In the main I'd say the success of the promotion of the top level in England. I do youth work as a volunteer and many of the kids don't see Scottish football as relevant now, they only talk about the game in England and what players do for their team on FIFA, its also whole combination of so many games on TV, Soccer Saturday etc. The later with betting effects those aged 16-21 who possibly get more out of sitting in a bar watching their coupon fail than going to a game.

The price is a factor, but people look at the prices in England and Germany and say why can we not do that, we could but the players would not get paid!

TV and nation size has dictated what will be successful.

If the bubble burst the smaller leagues need to jump quick but it may not be a bubble and just the way it will be for ever.

1 hour ago, Radford said:

I think the club were still feeling the benefits of the stadium move at that time, it was relegation in 2002 that really killed that. 

It's beyond disappointing that you look at that family stand where it's £16 to get in and free for kids and some weeks I'm not sure there are even 100 folk in there. That can't be a price issue. 

I agree. I move between the stands depending on the game and wether or not I'm bringing my son. I'll usually take my lad into the Ormond simply because he's too young for the main and east stands. I think more should be done to promote it for away fans with kids as it's a very age-appropriate atmosphere but there's only ever a handful of opposition fans there and the kids go to the away sections, which is a pretty horrible environment for a child especially at OF games. 

When my old man took me to the football there was no segregation for families so I would have been exposed to all sorts of language from the age of about 3. Probably explains why I grew up into such a foul-mouthed c**t. 

Edited by Valentino Bolognese
Also Saints used to give out £10 (2 kids an an adult) tickets at the local primary schools, but seemed to have stopped doing that this season.

1 hour ago, realmadrid said:

Multiple factors.

In the main I'd say the success of the promotion of the top level in England. I do youth work as a volunteer and many of the kids don't see Scottish football as relevant now, they only talk about the game in England and what players do for their team on FIFA, its also whole combination of so many games on TV, Soccer Saturday etc. The later with betting effects those aged 16-21 who possibly get more out of sitting in a bar watching their coupon fail than going to a game.

The price is a factor, but people look at the prices in England and Germany and say why can we not do that, we could but the players would not get paid!

TV and nation size has dictated what will be successful.

If the bubble burst the smaller leagues need to jump quick but it may not be a bubble and just the way it will be for ever.

I think that's all true, certainly for the 'football' factors. I'd also say that the internet, globalisation etc had eroded the sense of community and people don't really identify with a 'place' as much as they used to.

And outside of football, people have far more leisure choices now and time's more important. Saturday afternoons are premium downtime so it's harder for football to compete. 

Think we have to protect what we've got and try to grow by giving people a more relevant product. Maybe even changing the format of the game that way that golf and cricket have done to make the whole thing less of a time drain. 30 minute halves? 

Perth folks
Got a night oot in your fine city on Tuesday and I’m ashamed to say the only time I’ve been to Perth is to visit McDiarmid Park
Where is good to get sauced?

The rabbie burns.

29 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

Perth folks

Got a night oot in your fine city on Tuesday and I’m ashamed to say the only time I’ve been to Perth is to visit McDiarmid Park

Where is good to get sauced?

Start early as everywhere will be shut by 11. 

Comrie has indeed signed for Dunfermline. 

4 hours ago, Radford said:

Remember in his first full season Parker was ripping everyone to shreds as a teenager, the next big thing, and had 9 goals in the top league by Xmas. Think it was only one more by the end of the season!  As Tam said, that was a brilliant season. One cup final,the other cup semi final, and third placed finish.

Would say that squad was stronger, without a prolific scorer strangely enough, but I always find that hard to compare teams from different eras.  Think the league as a whole was probably  much stronger back then?

3 hours ago, codfish said:

It's a good question and I think a combination of what everyone has said.  I think society has changed in the way people attend matches. Just 5 years ago we took 15,000 to a cup final, and had a home only crowd of 8500 for a big European night.

The support is still there, we took 1800 to Dens in December for example, and if we had a big meaningful occasion/game I think folk would turn up in big numbers again.  It's just many people regard attending matches like any other past time now, in that they'll head along if it's appealing, but otherwise there's plenty other things they'd rather spend their money on. Which is absolutely fair enough.

Price is a relative thing. If we were winning every week, playing entertaining football and top of the league, I think people find the money and sacrifice something else and we'd get much bigger crowds.  There's probably a bit of a plateau been hit by Saints in recent years after the most successful period in our history, fans maybe think how do we top it?

st Mirren are on a bit of a rise just now in terms of there's excitement at being back in the top league, and your crowds have been really good as a result.  Were crowds as good after a run of seasons finishing mid/ lower Premiership and the novelty wore off, genuine question as I can't remember st Mirren having much bigger crowds than the likes of ourselves 5-6 years back, though I could be wrong.

You're right about our prices though. For families (and teenagers), is cost really an excuse for not going? 

It's a good question and I think a combination of what everyone has said.  I think society has changed in the way people attend matches. Just 5 years ago we took 15,000 to a cup final, and had a home only crowd of 8500 for a big European night.
The support is still there, we took 1800 to Dens in December for example, and if we had a big meaningful occasion/game I think folk would turn up in big numbers again.  It's just many people regard attending matches like any other past time now, in that they'll head along if it's appealing, but otherwise there's plenty other things they'd rather spend their money on. Which is absolutely fair enough.
Price is a relative thing. If we were winning every week, playing entertaining football and top of the league, I think people find the money and sacrifice something else and we'd get much bigger crowds.  There's probably a bit of a plateau been hit by Saints in recent years after the most successful period in our history, fans maybe think how do we top it?
st Mirren are on a bit of a rise just now in terms of there's excitement at being back in the top league, and your crowds have been really good as a result.  Were crowds as good after a run of seasons finishing mid/ lower Premiership and the novelty wore off, genuine question as I can't remember st Mirren having much bigger crowds than the likes of ourselves 5-6 years back, though I could be wrong.
You're right about our prices though. For families (and teenagers), is cost really an excuse for not going? 

That was kinda what got me thinking about it - we saw a dip up to the upturn in fortunes under Jack Ross, but we’ve sustained the bounce in attendances even through the Alan Stubbs clusterfuck. In a way, relegation and a couple of seasons in the Championship might prove to be a benefit in the long term. Prior to Ross we had some league games with home crowds around the 2k-2.5k mark - apathy is a bugger to shift, and I admit to being someone who got bored and stopped going for a while.

With having family in Perth, I keep a closer eye on St Johnstone than some other clubs - I said after our last game that you guys have a blueprint that we should be looking to emulate (and eventually surpass with the right management and luck). The cup win should’ve given more of a bounce IMO, so the winning team argument doesn’t really apply. Probably as stumped as most of you as a result!

14 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Disagree with that – I think pricing must be a factor, although it isn't clear how big. The pay-at-the-gate proportion of the home crowd has plummeted in the past 20 years, maybe because gate prices have more than doubled in real terms in that time. Hard to get into a habit when it's costing £25 a shot. The shift also means you're less likely to get the fluctuations in attendance that saw such peaks. In 1996, sandwiched between gates of 9,000+ v Hearts and Dundee United was the home game against Hamilton, which was seen by 2,600.