Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Whether fans are in favour or not is irrelevant. They aren't coming as per the voting recently. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with Steve, but the guy can't do no right. Doesn't speak out, fans not happy for never commenting, speaks out, fans up in arms about his view. Anyway bigger news tonight will be the first team player who was released today... Be even more knicker wetting no doubt

1 minute ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Whether fans are in favour or not is irrelevant. They aren't coming as per the voting recently. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with Steve, but the guy can't do no right. Doesn't speak out, fans not happy for never commenting, speaks out, fans up in arms about his view. Anyway bigger news tonight will be the first team player who was released today... Be even more knicker wetting no doubt

If it’s Blair Alston then it’s been on the cards for a while IMO. Barely played this year and he’s been a bit of a disappointing signing. 

I don’t think people disagreeing with the decision to scrap the reserves and to brazenly come out in favour of colt teams in the league are knicker wetting to be honest. Colt teams is a shit idea and I think most are ambivalent about the reserves. 

I think the chairman has been pretty well received and well backed by the more considered element of our support in the last few years. The summer of 2014 was a huge missed opportunity but more recently, I don't really see there being much to criticise him about. He's certainly backed the manager, which is maybe the number one priority in the eyes of the support generally? 

Hes got this one badly wrong though IMO and, whilst you never want to speak for a large group, I'd be confident that the significant majority of our support are opposed to colt teams. Are there any Saints fans on here willing to say they back the proposal? 

43 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

I'm afraid this is nonsense. Steve Brown and the board have done great for Saints, and especially in supporting the signings the manager has made this season. I've barely read any negative comments about him this season at all, rightly so.

However, the concept of Colts is to the detriment of lower league clubs in Scotland. It's the mindset of bigger clubs who only see the lower leagues as a means of benefitting their own selfish aims. For a club of our size it's a dreadful position to take.

Im surprised you can't see this.

13 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I'm afraid this is nonsense. Steve Brown and the board have done great for Saints, and especially in supporting the signings the manager has made this season. I've barely read any negative comments about him this season at all, rightly so.

However, the concept of Colts is to the detriment of lower league clubs in Scotland. It's the mindset of bigger clubs who only see the lower leagues as a means of benefitting their own selfish aims. For a club of our size it's a dreadful position to take.

Im surprised you can't see this.

For a club of our size it's a perfectly reasonable and sensible position to take. For a club that is concerned with the game in Scotland as a whole rather than its own needs it's a terrible position to take. Steve would have been well advised to keep quiet on this.

1 hour ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Anyway bigger news tonight will be the first team player who was released today.

What's the point in releasing someone at this stage of the season? McMillan to go back to Ireland would be understandable given they're basically mid season but not sure that would be possible all things considered. I'd have thought we'd be as well holding on to everyone for next couple of weeks in case there's injuries. 

4 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Is it a sensible position to take for a club our size though? Colts to me would mean Rangers and Celtic plus two token clubs at a push getting a position in the league system. We’d maybe get a shot at the bottom end of the pyramid. But even at that, are we really going to have enough players on our books to effectively run two teams? 

We had 39 full-time players last season according to the annual accounts. An utterly ludicrous number but enough at a pinch to run two teams.

3 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Fair enough, any idea what age group up that is? 18’s? I’m still not convinced there would be any benefit if Colt teams were a thing, which there most certainly won’t be any time soon, making Steve Brown’s comments all the more bizarre.

It was 39 full-time professionals to meet the needs of the first team and under-20s apparently. So I suppose that  means first team and reserves this year.

There would be no benefit to Colt sides.

We dont have a big enough squad so you'd either be playing youth players well beyond their level, or youd be hindering the better young players by keeping them and making them play below their level.

It would completely ruin the lower leagues, and the pyramid system that's taken fucking years to actually get set up, and would be unfair as f**k on the teams trying to work their way up that.

Theres also absolutely no evidence at all that it helps develop young players, see folk talking about how it works in Germany/Holland/Spain so Scotland should follow as itll improve the National team, I'd suggest the fact they actually coach youngsters to play football is a bigger reason.

No idea who the released player might be, my first thought, without even thinking about it, was Swanson.

Hes been in court recently, isnt playing, a high earner, and it would tie in with the rumour about Doran.

Absolute NAP I've concocted that all up and all that happen is Goss will be away south :lol:.

10 hours ago, d31 said:

Where is Shaughnessy headed for then?

Aberdeen?

Aberdeen have been priced out a move for him.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

No idea who the released player might be, my first thought, without even thinking about it, was Swanson.

Hes been in court recently, isnt playing, a high earner, and it would tie in with the rumour about Doran.

Absolute NAP I've concocted that all up and all that happen is Goss will be away south :lol:.

McMillan? 

1 minute ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

McMillan? 

Hes still at Hamilton so not sure how that all works? 

It'll be one of the out of contract players 'd imagine. Easton or Alston best fit the bill. Combined they have 1 start in 2019 in a team that's struggled quite badly. Not a huge loss in practical terms either way. Easton has obviously been an excellent players for Saints over the years though - I can't see the club cutting him adrift without giving him every chance to prove his fitness.

I can't see a player leaving before the end of the season. It may be that Alston has been informed he's either not getting a contract offer or the offer has been withdrawn.

would anyone be raging/knicker wetting about a player who's not really made an impact at Saints? I think McMillan's loan spell at Accies has been a bit of a disaster. Their fans certainly don't rate him and I don't think he's managed to score a single goal for them.