Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

RG doing battle with a few angry dad's on WAP :lol:

For once he’s actually correct in what he’s saying. It does reek of pissed off parents that are now lumbered with their kid going off to uni cause they’ve been deemed not good enough to make it in professional football. Loved the guy saying how can 17 year olds be judged as being good enough. Of course they are, players at that age should be pushing for the first team if they’ve got talent. None of the current crop are obviously at that level.

26 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

A strange bunch. We should apparently spend as much as Hearts on the youth team and anything else is pathetic and will see us relegated. 

21 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

A strange bunch. We should apparently spend as much as Hearts on the youth team and anything else is pathetic and will see us relegated. 

Who cares anyway they all seem to be h*ns. 

I would actually consider that our youth set up has been quite successful over the last few years if you consider May, Kerr, Clark, Gordon and Kane. 

And of course Comrie.....

9 hours ago, Radford said:

Anyone any memories of the day?

I was at university down south. Housemates had for years mocked my PA St Johnstone fixture list poster (eg circling the St Johnstone v Cowdenbeath fixture and sardonically scrawling 'THE BIG GAME' next to it.) But they took a growing interest in Saints and the cup run that season and ten of us came up in two cars from Nottingham to Celtic Park that day.  (Crazy to think that the rest of Nottingham was heading for those awful events at Hillsborough.)

I loved that game with all its symbols of the late eighties – the inflatables, the abuse of Graeme Souness, the THREE QUID ticket price. Having only known modest crowds at Muirton  I was so proud walking with my English mates up into the East Stand at Celtic Park to be a part of that huge gathering of Saints fans. Nine thousand, I think, but certainly the last time so many Saints fans were standing together.

I don't remember too much about the game, just that I expected the worst. Rangers were some team at the time, full of English internationals. I do remember looking at my watch after five minutes and thinking - well at least we've held them out this long.

And then the long drive back south with the harrowing news on the radio. What a sombre day, in the end.

1 hour ago, Widge said:

For once he’s actually correct in what he’s saying. It does reek of pissed off parents that are now lumbered with their kid going off to uni cause they’ve been deemed not good enough to make it in professional football. Loved the guy saying how can 17 year olds be judged as being good enough. Of course they are, players at that age should be pushing for the first team if they’ve got talent. None of the current crop are obviously at that level.

Can you imagine tree house tam’s reaction if Liam Gordon got released? Suicide watch imo.

Edited by Bonksy+HisChristianParade

9 hours ago, Radford said:

30 years ago today that Alex Totten took his part-time side to Celtic Park and held Graeme Souness’ Rangers to a 0-0 draw in the semi-final of the Scottish Cup. Believe there were in excess of 10,000 Saints fans there?

Anyone any memories of the day?

In the video clip you can see fans on the trackside at one point when there was a small crush in the Rangers end. There were of course no perimeter fences at Celtic Park thankfully.

I was a young teenager at the time, and recall 9000 Saints fans absolutely packed into that corner, and the whole lot sang for 90 minutes.  One of the Sunday papers described the St Johnstone support as raucous, and I remember feeling dead proud once I'd looked up what it meant.  Inflatable bananas were all the rage at the football around then and there were a fair few in our end. There was a big Saints flag with a picture of Fred Flinstone, and the words "yabadabadabadoo come on Saintees, give us two"  or something.

Stevie Maskrey was unbelievably good that season, and as 7-2 says,  if he'd been fit we'd have had a great chance of winning, as rangers were rotten on the day.

The ground was absolutely stowed out, you couldn't move anywhere, and you saw how overcrowded the rangers end was on the highlights. Celtic Park held just over 60,000 at the time, but they gave the attendance as 47,000. The midweek replay was even busier if anything, and was stated as 44,000.  Always makes me laugh when Celtic fans get all excited about rangers avoiding paying tax, as they were notorious for lying about attendances back then. Seems funny that they now lie the other way to make the crowd sound bigger.

Out the ground the road alongside the ground was absolutely packed and we had to walk through all the Rangers supporters going in the opposite direction. They were raging. I remember one mob ranting at us "that pay your shitey players wages for a month aye?" and a few other comments when an older Saints fan just leant towards them and said  "what was the score lads?" 

It's hard to stress how great a result that was for Saints, probably like Arbroath or Alloa playing Celtic in a Scottish Cup  semi-final this season and getting a draw.  Then back on the bus, news from Hillsborough was coming through and it all felt surreal at the time,  hard to take it all in.

I wasn’t even born, the first Scottish Cup semi I remember was the 2007 edition.

Still remember at full time, a Celtic fan frothing at the mouth howling abuse at us as we walked back to our bus. No idea how we’d rattled him so badly but it was glorious.

I remember it was announced that their Narcissistic,Arrogant ,Strutting Peacock of a manager Graeme Souness's  wife had left him a few days before the game and had gone back to Spain...The teams came onto the pitch lead by their managers and the Saints fans burst into "Souness Souness Where's Your Wife " Souness Where's Your Wife" Also watching my former schoolmate Grant Shaggy Jenkins marking England international Ray Wilkins out of the game was another highlight.

Edited by Lang Toon Saintee

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/870816/only-joe-shaughnessy-will-know-if-contract-uncertainty-affected-st-johnstone-form/

“We’ll probably need two other defenders to cover full-back areas – at least one of them could play centre-back and full-back

Doesn't sound too promising for Beaston if it's full-back areas, plural, and he's also recently played centre-back for the reserves.  Hope I'm picking things up wrongly though. 

On 15/04/2019 at 16:35, The Saintee said:

They're still at it.

Apparently one coach is a huge bully who is forcing kids out the club, but none of them want to report him incase their kids, who are apparently already victimised and are being released, are "targeted".

We've also got someone claiming Craig Thomson was the next Andy Robertson but was released for being too small, and that Michael Doughty not being kept on after a loan spell is an example of Saints not giving talented players a chance. Doughty currently plays for Swindon in League Two.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

They're still at it.

Apparently one coach is a huge bully who is forcing kids out the club, but none of them want to report him incase their kids, who are apparently already victimised and are being released, are "targeted".

We've also got someone claiming Craig Thomson was the next Andy Robertson but was released for being too small, and that Michael Doughty not being kept on after a loan spell is an example of Saints not giving talented players a chance. Doughty currently plays for Swindon in League Two.

Aye. I'm keep tabs on it. They would come across a bit less bitter if they'd actually be prepared to report the bullying incidents. 

But they won't incase it holds the kids back :huh: 

Anyway they are Sevco fans so don't really give a f*ck tbh.