Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

29 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Just went to have a look at WAP and can't get on. Suppose that's a bonus and I should be glad. You pulled the plug Beatson?

Looks ok to me.

Well, when I say ok...

Even Hibs fans feel they can mock us now. 

Is this the nadir of the Tommy Wright era?

Remaining fixtures prior to Split:

Hibs:- Motherwell (H), Livingston (A), Kilmarnock (H), Hearts (A)

Motherwell:- Hibs (A), St Johnstone (H), Aberdeen (A), Rangers (H)

Saints:- St Mirren (H), Motherwell (A), Dundee (H), Kilmarnock (A)

Livingston:- Aberdeen (A), Hibs (H), Hamilton (H), Celtic (A)

Current table:-

Pld     Points

Hibs                        29             42

Motherwell       29              40

Saints                    29              38

Livingston          29              37

Motherwell to beat Hibs on Saturday, us to beat st Mirren, and the dream is still on .....

Its the hope that kills you.

Livingston will get 44 points maximum, so they are out of it.

Saints have two of the three home games that teams would hand pick but with our form, does it matter? The glimmer is the home performances haven't been too bad, other than the last 30 mins against Hibs. But Killie have had the measure of us under Clarke and Motherwell are everything we aren't at the moment when it comes to confidence. Performances like those at Hearts, Accies or Livi and it'll be no points from those games. I can't even see us winning both home games, my hope is we manage at least one to try and break this run. I think we'll do well to match the total Hibs have at the moment, which is a complete scunner when we had those 37 points at the end of January.

The way Motherwell are at the moment, they could take maximum points and I'd make then favourites. Quite incredible when you think of the situation on the night we beat Livingston.

I thought Hibs did absolutely nothing against us in Perth until they got that soft penalty and they were crap against Rangers for most of match too but are they a danger because they can pick up points when not performing, or is their luck likely to run out?

Don't usually predict stuff like this but the fact my expectations for Saints are so low...

• 6. Motherwell - 50 points
  • 7. Hibernian - 44 points
  • 8. Saints - 42 points
  • 9. Livingston - 41 points

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year.

Any chance of having Clark back this weekend? Having just watched the highlights I reckon Clark doesn’t come flapping at the first one (leaving an empty net) and is probably a decent bet to save the second. The difference between him and Bell - not only in terms of stature which I think counts for a lot but also in terms of ability - is enormous.

Interesting to see what happens with McGregor’s retirement from international football as well...

16 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Any chance of having Clark back this weekend? Having just watched the highlights I reckon Clark doesn’t come flapping at the first one (leaving an empty net) and is probably a decent bet to save the second. The difference between him and Bell - not only in terms of stature which I think counts for a lot but also in terms of ability - is enormous.

Interesting to see what happens with McGregor’s retirement from international football as well...

Was an article last week saying "theres a chance" he'll be back for the game this weekend, so fingers crossed.

My line up would be...

Clark

Foster - Kerr - Gordon -Tanser

O'Halloran - Callachan - Craig - Alston - Swanson

Hendry

Alston and Callachan give you midfield runners, but also physicality and Callachan works like f**k. Hendry feels like our most confident striker, somehow, as Watt is missing sitters and Kane shits himself near the goal.

Kennedy can come on for a winger if we're winning, or a central player if we want to attack more. Foster and Tanser saved as theres f**k all else. Youd hope seeing Shaughnessy and Davidson dropped would send a message.

26 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

'We had Clark in our thoughts but his recent injury and lack of games...' 

3 hours ago, Radford said:

Livingston will get 44 points maximum, so they are out of it.

Saints have two of the three home games that teams would hand pick but with our form, does it matter? The glimmer is the home performances haven't been too bad, other than the last 30 mins against Hibs. But Killie have had the measure of us under Clarke and Motherwell are everything we aren't at the moment when it comes to confidence. Performances like those at Hearts, Accies or Livi and it'll be no points from those games. I can't even see us winning both home games, my hope is we manage at least one to try and break this run. I think we'll do well to match the total Hibs have at the moment, which is a complete scunner when we had those 37 points at the end of January.

The way Motherwell are at the moment, they could take maximum points and I'd make then favourites. Quite incredible when you think of the situation on the night we beat Livingston.

I thought Hibs did absolutely nothing against us in Perth until they got that soft penalty and they were crap against Rangers for most of match too but are they a danger because they can pick up points when not performing, or is their luck likely to run out?

Don't usually predict stuff like this but the fact my expectations for Saints are so low...

• 6. Motherwell - 50 points
  • 7. Hibernian - 44 points
  • 8. Saints - 42 points
  • 9. Livingston - 41 points

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year.

I also rate Motherwell as the strongest out the four teams currently, but did you see their fixtures? Hibs and Aberdeen away, us and Rangers at Fir Park.  If they get 10 points from those four games then fair play they deserve top six.  No chance.

Hibs will draw a fair few of their remaining games. 

Its all down to us scraping any kind of win this Saturday against a st Mirren team who will have had two full days rest less than us. We have to come out on the front foot and take the game to them. Shit or bust.

As low as I rated our chances of top 6 after Saturday, i just can't accept that we're going to throw it away as meekly as we're doing. There must be some flicker of fight and pride amongst the players after all that hard work for clean sheets and last minute victories they displayed at the end of last year.

Hibs  - 45 points

Saints - 45 points

Motherwell - 44 points

Livingston - 42 points

9 hours ago, nelsjfc said:

Even by the page's exceptional standards, this - and some of the replies - are incredible.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/476529175824207/permalink/1582642445212869/

Not read the Banter page for ages. 

First status I see "we deserve better, Tommy out in the Summer".

Fucking hell.

I’m really struggling with some of my fellow saints supporters, including some of my friends ideas! Maybe I’m the one in the wrong but anything above 11th place is surely a successful season? Anything else is a bonus.

I can understand the frustration as on paper this is probably the best squad in terms of ability in my life time and some of the performances have been awful after the winter break but playing Celtic 3 times hasn’t helped! As well as losing Drey! Swanson and O’Halloran not being fit when signing hasn’t helped our creativity.

We have had some terrible runs over the years but the team always gets through it.  I wouldn’t bet against us for a top 6 finish. 

Tommy is an absolute legend and I for one won’t question any of his decisions, He surely has earned enough trust over the years to deserve that, when he has given us some of our best memories and moments supporting Saints.

51 minutes ago, LarsGunnar Carlstrands Dog said:

I’m really struggling with some of my fellow saints supporters, including some of my friends ideas! Maybe I’m the one in the wrong but anything above 11th place is surely a successful season? Anything else is a bonus.

I can understand the frustration as on paper this is probably the best squad in terms of ability in my life time and some of the performances have been awful after the winter break but playing Celtic 3 times hasn’t helped! As well as losing Drey! Swanson and O’Halloran not being fit when signing hasn’t helped our creativity.

We have had some terrible runs over the years but the team always gets through it.  I wouldn’t bet against us for a top 6 finish. 

Tommy is an absolute legend and I for one won’t question any of his decisions, He surely has earned enough trust over the years to deserve that, when he has given us some of our best memories and moments supporting Saints.

It's all about context. 

Yes, at the start of the season any Saints fan would probably have been content with where we are now. Happy even. But it's NOT the start of the season, and on 2019 form we are the worst team in the league. The. Worst. 

Now, we've had a hard run of fixtures and like everyone else, injuries, but if you've been at the games you'll have seen that it's not really the results, but the manner of the losses and the team's performance that's winding people up. We see the same mistakes again and again and again and seemingly every player on the park except Kennedy and Kerr failing to turn up.

There's only so often you can see defenders hoofing the ball out the park or 20 yards too long, or literally throwing the ball out of play from a throw-in, giving the ball away in midfield, giving up on chasing or simply falling asleep, and players missing chances it would be easier to score. 

We're a mid-table club at best, we'll win some and lose some, of course . That's fine.  But before the break we were beating teams below us and at least giving the ones above us a game (ex. Celtic). Now we're losing to relegation candidates and - in back to back games - losing  when we've been ahead. 

Calling for Tommy's head is absolute lunacy and should simply be ignored.  Nobody is taking that seriously.

All that said I'm also holding out for a top 6 finish as, surely, the wheels have to come off Motherwell soon and I just don't think Hibs are there yet. But in that field of 3 we're the 3rd best team right now. 

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

It's all about context. 
Yes, at the start of the season any Saints fan would probably have been content with where we are now. Happy even. But it's NOT the start of the season, and on 2019 form we are the worst team in the league. The. Worst. 
Now, we've had a hard run of fixtures and like everyone else, injuries, but if you've been at the games you'll have seen that it's not really the results, but the manner of the losses and the team's performance that's winding people up. We see the same mistakes again and again and again and seemingly every player on the park except Kennedy and Kerr failing to turn up.
There's only so often you can see defenders hoofing the ball out the park or 20 yards too long, or literally throwing the ball out of play from a throw-in, giving the ball away in midfield, giving up on chasing or simply falling asleep, and players missing chances it would be easier to score. 
We're a mid-table club at best, we'll win some and lose some, of course . That's fine.  But before the break we were beating teams below us and at least giving the ones above us a game (ex. Celtic). Now we're losing to relegation candidates and - in back to back games - losing  when we've been ahead. 
Calling for Tommy's head is absolute lunacy and should simply be ignored.  Nobody is taking that seriously.
All that said I'm also holding out for a top 6 finish as, surely, the wheels have to come off Motherwell soon and I just don't think Hibs are there yet. But in that field of 3 we're the 3rd best team right now. 

Agreed.

4 hours ago, LarsGunnar Carlstrands Dog said:

If you were told last summer we'd be signing Watt, Kennedy, O'Halloran and Swanson – players other teams in the bottom six would love – you'd probably have expected better. Top six was ambitious, certainly, but the chairman pushed the boat out with the budget and if all that  gets us is ninth place, it's hard to argue we should spend at that level next year.