Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

8 minutes ago, The Woolshed said:

I’m almost getting to the stage of questioning things. Tommy has rightly deserved a shit run of form. But the results and performances have been shocking of late. No more wins before the split and his position becomes questionable for me

I think hes enough in the bank to avoid that, would be a perfect example of someone being a victim of their own success.

This run feels different to other runs we've had though, the performances seem to completely fall apart whenever we concede. It's an overused cliche, but we do lack leaders on the pitch, theres nobody out there who's inspiring, and Shaughnessy is the most timid captain I can remember us having.

Letting Anderson go, and leaving Craig off the park, are errors on TWs part, in my opinion.

If Shaughnessy isn’t dropped after that display today then Wright has to learn loyalty will only get so far. He was beyond woeful today and gave the ball away more that the rest of the team put together.

Swanson was the only one trying to do something going forward and deserves to start the next game. Kennedy needs to be put back through the middle and frankly it doesn’t matter which of Kane or Watt you play neither look like scoring. For that simple reason I’d try Hendry, can’t be any worse.

1 hour ago, ali_91 said:

Season looks well and truly over now. On paper we’ve got one of our strongest squads in years, but for whatever reason it’s just not been working. We need to freshen up the middle of the park in the summer. I’d be looking for at least one central midfielder in the summer, which means a couple might have to leave. For all the ok options we have in there, we’ve not replaced Millar. 

We also need a right back to compete with Foster and at least one striker, two if Tony goes. 

As for the rest of the season, as soon as the split is confirmed, i’d be giving O’Halloran and Swanson as much game time as possible to try and play them back in to form and fitness. Would help us immensely if we could get one or both back to near their best. 

Bit dejected with the season to be honest. 

I'd agree ref Swanson and MOH. Don't really get folk saying they've been a waste of money when (especially with O'Halloran) they've not really had the game time to make fair judgement. I'd say Danny was twice the player that Wotherspoon was today and there were flashes of form. Playing in front of Tanser doesn't seem to work, but I put that down to Tanser's attrocious form, tocuh, invention and decision-making. 

I still like Watt. I honestly think if he'd started we'd have had a bit more to offer but he needs to play with a partner up front. That could be Kennedy but we need MOH and Swanson to start motoring (and Wright back) to take the pressure off our shortage of wing pace and invention. 

Clark 

Foster           Kerr       Gordon      Easton

Davidson   Goss 

MOH                  Kennedy             Swanson 

Watt

And we win our next game. 

19 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Clark 

Foster           Kerr       Gordon      Easton

Davidson   Goss 

MOH                  Kennedy             Swanson 

Watt

And we win our next game. 

Swap Craig for Goss. 

Goss clearly the better footballer, but we need Craigs strengths more.

1 hour ago, ali_91 said:

Bit dejected with the season to be honest. 

I am as well. I never bought into the early hype about this team but really enjoyed the spell towards the end of the year, especially the wins at Easter Road and Pittodrie. Highs other than that have been few and far between though. A lot of folk had a downer on last season but it was packed with good moments.

Our previous squad was reaching the end of its cycle and being off the pace of the top six,  I thought it was wise to hold off on contracts last season. We looked to be building something decent this time round so striving for consistency again looked the right approach in January. Now, we maybe need to hold fire until the summer to make sure there is a budget available to make changes that now appear like they might be necessary.

The man to make those changes is 100% still Tommy Wright. That's not even a statement I'd have felt the need to make before the post above. We could lose every game until the end of the season and he will still deserve the opportunity to make his changes in the summer.

He's struggling at the moment to solve a few problems but, come on, we are better than chasing a man of his standing out the door.

The biggest disappointment for me is with such a wealth of attacking talent compared to probably anytime in the past 5 seasons, we've still not really found a formation or set up which works for us since the winter break.  Fixtures have been horrendous which hasn't helped, but performances have also fallen away massively.

I don't think we'll make top 6 now, but I guess we have to chase it as long as it's still possible.  But as soon as it's gone, we're in a rare position in this league where we have games with nothing at stake. Shite for fans, but great for the manager.

If we know for sure that Tony Watt and Joe Shaughnessy, or anyone else won't be here, then no hard feelings, but they don't need to play anymore.  Give JK and Liam G plenty of competitive games to build their partnership. Similarly let's give Callum Hendry a few starts to get a good look at whether he can cut it.  If there's any chance McCann or McLean's loans can be ended early then let's give them a few games.  f**k it, let's give young Ross Sinclair a start to take away the nerves of being thrown in at the deep end sometime in the future.

44 minutes ago, Radford said:

He's struggling at the moment to solve a few problems but, come on, we are better than chasing a man of his standing out the door.

I take this back. I've just read We Are Perth. 

gif.gif.b14655e28f57e02b8f46961e61f45b68.gif

13 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I don't think we'll make top 6 now, but I guess we have to chase it as long as it's still possible.  But as soon as it's gone, we're in a rare position in this league where we have games with nothing at stake. Shite for fans, but great for the manager.

If we know for sure that Tony Watt and Joe Shaughnessy, or anyone else won't be here, then no hard feelings, but they don't need to play anymore.  Give JK and Liam G plenty of competitive games to build their partnership. Similarly let's give Callum Hendry a few starts to get a good look at whether he can cut it.  If there's any chance McCann or McLean's loans can be ended early then let's give them a few games.  f**k it, let's give young Ross Sinclair a start to take away the nerves of being thrown in at the deep end sometime in the future.

Cant end those loans early and play the players.

Is there not a difference among about £100k between positions? Agree with your principle, but that's a decent amount of money to just write off.

I take this back. I've just read We Are Perth. 

gif.gif.b14655e28f57e02b8f46961e61f45b68.gif

You’re so right about Tommy. Despite this form, his erratic selections, loyalty to players who need dropped and our lack of creativity, despite all of this, there should be NO question over his tenure. Nowhere near it. It’s still so very frustrating though.

I would 100% have gone today in normal circumstances but with the run we're on I decided against it. The biggest concern is Tommy not realising we are soft. Too many attacking players and not enough protection. Defensive midfielders have been chased out the club in recent years. He also is persevering with some players who clearly don't have it. I like Kane, he works his arse off and no doubt he would do well in the championship but he's not cutting it at this level.

He does deserve time to fix it though. I just want to see some green shoots of recovery soon to calm the beans.

11 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

St Johnstone are a funny team, you's either go on a 9 game winning streak or 9 game losing streak.

Bit early to call it quits this season, only 4 points behind Hibs?

We're done for the season. 

Saints were fifth at the end of January with 37 points, the season was progressing nicely. Anything now is going to be a disappointment. Top six (which I doubt even the biggest optimist would struggle to claim is on) would paper over cracks; you can't work with a squad that's capable of going nine without a win. The remainder of this season is about assessing the squad and what is required moving forward. 

10 hours ago, ali_91 said:

If you think we’d be better of looking for a new manager (you’d be wrong,) then fair enough, but anyone telling him to f**k off, or making excuses why the cup win and subsequent European qualifications weren’t even that impressive, then you can gtf as far as I’m concerned. 

Even in the shorter term (and for all I said about the hype surrounding this team being OTT) he was doing really well. A year ago today, we won 4-0 at Dens. Our record between then and the end of January was 38 games, 20 wins, 9 draws, 9 defeats. Take out four Old Firm losses and it was:

Played 34, Won 20, Drawn 9, Lost 5, For 52, Against 25.

That's an outstanding record (18 clean sheets as well) and especially off the back of YEARS of success, means you don't shit the bed when you have a wobble, at a time when it in no way threatens your league status. 

The manager called the win at Dens in December maybe the best of his whole time in charge. Did they try to reinvent the wheel in January? I think we're past the stage of simply going back to the team that played in early winter but he does need to give others a chance now. Who, is the problem. 

St Johnstone's second choice reserve goalie seemingly can't handle the rigorous monastic demands of the professional footballing lifestyle in Perthshire, and has left the club three months early in order to get his hole. I suppose if you're making those kinds of sacrifices for your career, it would help if your career path led to something more stimulating than waiting for some other keeper to get injured so you could get to watch St Johnstone play from the dugout...