Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

2 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

McMillan is an imposter btw. Did st Johnstone pay money for him?

No, I imagine he'll be back over the water come the start of next season.

No, he was freedom of contract. 

The alarm bells were ringing (he missed the first three months through injury) when Pat Hoban who replaced him at Dundalk, set himself on the road to scoring 29 goals in 36 games after managing 7 goals in 77 games in the English lower leagues. 

He'll be back across the water in the summer. 

2 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

It's back to that dilemma of wanting to pick a consistent team, but the players not performing and so everyone on the bench seems like a better option, so do we keep changing things?

It was completely understandable starting with the same team yesterday as at Ibrox. And we'd started the game the better side up until the first goal. Though I do think that eleven is better at containing teams, and is heavily reliant on Kennedy to make things happen in attack.

Harsh on Alston not getting a run out from the bench after playing well when he came on last week;  his runs from deep beyond Kane might have given the Aberdeen defence something different to think about.  Having said that, I was initially happy when Swanson was brought on but that was short lived when he kept trying to beat the player at half way and losing it.  He needs to play his way into the game more with simple touches and passes to get upto the speed of the game before trying the nutmegs and flicks.

Thats another difficult one. Each time Swanson has joined us it's taken a few matches for him to get upto speed. So do we play him for a few games when he's way short of fitness and form or just keep throwing him in off the bench hoping it suddenly clicks? 

We also are maybe not carrying the luck just now. Alston's lob at Ibrox bouncing off the underside of the bar, and Kennedy's cross/shot yesterday doing the same.  

I'd like to see us go back to Craig and Davidson (or Callachan) protecting the defence, with Alston or Kennedy off Watt up front for the match v Hibs.  A draw would probably be a decent scoreline for us after recent results.

Agree with all of this, particularly that it's easy to play armchair manager and say that the guys on the bench are a better option (but Watt is ;))

Swanson looks a bit unfit but I don't really buy it, as he's surely had enough time by now to get into better shape. 

Anyone got any news on MOH? Like Alston I think he would have introduced some chaos yesterday that might have influenced the result. 

2 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Anyone got any news on MOH? 

Last I remember reading he was back training after a hamstring injury.

Same injury that ruled him out most of his time in Australia.

I'd rather not rush him back from that type of strain, it can severely hinder "explosive" pace, last thing we need is him being useless as hes constantly injured.

Wonder what Broon will do this Summer, opened the purse strings for Scougall, MOH and Swanson, not a great return from that so far...

We're in a classic catch 22 with Swanson. He needs games to get up to speed but equally needs to show that he deserves a run of games. In his cameo appearances and the odd start he's had, he's had basically no impact on any game. The one exception being Hibs at Easter Road where he won and then missed a penalty and caused a fair bit of chaos after coming off the bench. Once top 6/bottom 6 has been sorted, there wont be much for us to play for over the course of the rest of the season. That will give us a good run of games to see if Swanson still has what it takes to succeed at this level or if we're potentially looking at having to cut our losses in the summer. 

We could be looking at Anderson, Swanson and McMillan being deadweights in the squad come May, all 3 will be on decent wages, with a year left on their contracts and unlikely to feature. Hopefully it doesn't come to that and each can prove they can offer us something next season, but signs aren't good for the latter 2 at this stage and time seems to have caught up a bit on Anderson. It seems he's doing well at Thistle though, so maybe he just needed a run of games to play himself back into form.

Edited by Kyle

1 minute ago, The Real Saints said:

Is this 'Joe Shaughnessy has been dreadful for weeks' statement a complete myth? I've seen numerous people saying this on WAP and the St. Johnstone Banter page. Have watched our last twelve matches and think he's been absolutely fine. 

You mean to say that you're actually taking on board anything that's been said on the St Johnstone banter page as anything other than slavering p1sh!?

Calling cards of Morons thread for that page.

Is this 'Joe Shaughnessy has been dreadful for weeks' statement a complete myth? I've seen numerous people saying this on WAP and the St. Johnstone Banter page. Have watched our last twelve matches and think he's been absolutely fine. 

There’s been a few games recently where he clearly didn’t meet the standard he’d previously set, but then neither did anyone else in the team. Against Rangers he was excellent once again and I didn’t think he was bad against Aberdeen, except his use of the ball was poor.

Thinking about it, I’m not convinced he’s that adept at what Wright wants, he’s a bit like Anderson and it’s a recurring theme that when he passes to the fullback or winger he generally fires it in at them, sometimes at waist height which is impossible to control. I can think of at least 2/3 goals this season that have come from a Shaughnessy pass which hasn’t been taken in or controlled and then the opposition break past our midfield. Compared with Kerr who’s weight of pass and use of the ball is quicker and better.

4 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

There was a spell where he fell below St Johnstone standards imo, culminating in that game at Hamilton. When you have more than able players on the bench I'd like to think replacement for a couple of games is the boot up the arse needed.

I think Shaughnessy hasn't looked quite as good recently because he's beside Kerr, who is just an outstanding talent. Shaughnessy has been fine for the most part, although I thought he could've done better at both goals against Accies. He certainly hasn't been dreadful.

I’ll text him and ask what he thinks. :)

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

There was a spell where he fell below St Johnstone standards imo, culminating in that game at Hamilton. When you have more than able players on the bench I'd like to think replacement for a couple of games is the boot up the arse needed.

Or sitting in the stand to make way for a loan signing.

Frustrating evening. Too many players not at the races. Tanser, while has absolutely proved me wrong at times this season went from poor to awful this evening with every single error bringing his confidence down further. Kennedy was outstanding first half but did fall away a little in the second. Spoony didn’t have a great game and Swanson was an immediate upgrade based on what was required. We deserved something and while the ref certainly did us no favours, we switched off for the second. Frustrating evening and leaves our season hanging on a knife edge.