Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

3 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

I realise I'll probably be alone in this, but I think it's pretty shite personally. Another Americanism that we feel we have to adopt over here.

I agree.

But if you're going to do it,  the value of any Hall of Fame is the way it acknowledges the contribition of former players - particularly those who might not have been recognised when they left - and educates fans by uncovering to fresh eyes heroes of the history of St Johnstone. That idea must have been behind the original Saints' Hall of Fame concept, in the way you could nominate a player from any era and offer a justification for it. 

Now we're putting Jim Weir and Dave Mackay up against McCarry and Rooney, with no accompanying narrative. How can any fan under 60 choose in an informed way? The conclusion you have to draw is that they aren't meant to.

The other unaddressed question is whether, say, Benny Rooney will ever be nominated again if he isn't recognised this time. You'd think not.  A shame that someone who captained arguably our best-ever side is up against Dave Mackay, who recently left the club lauded by a cup-winners' celebration and a testimonial. It's not as if his contribution went so unrewarded that it has to be revisited again 16 months later.

Edited by Mr Heliums

There's the new contract for cup winning legend David Wotherspoon confirmed - new deal runs until 2021.

Good news and one I was a bit worried about after Wright's recent interview.

Hurst, Comrie, Shaughnessy, Easton, Alston, McCann, McClean and Watt the only players who remain out of contract from the first team pool.

10 minutes ago, Kyle said:

There's the new contract for cup winning legend David Wotherspoon confirmed - new deal runs until 2021.

Good news and one I was a bit worried about after Wright's recent interview.

Hurst, Comrie, Shaughnessy, Easton, Alston, McCann, McClean and Watt the only players who remain out of contract from the first team pool.

Will the competition winner get a new deal is the question we should all be asking ourselves.

Happy enough with that, hopefully keeps up his recent form.

Watt next pls, after that Easton and Alston are ones you'd like, but wouldn't be too surprised to lose.

Shaughnessy I still don't hold out much hope with.

Edited by RandomGuy.

It'll be interesting to see who the club add to the HoF. Will it come from the same list we had or were their choices left off that? Danny Griffin and Paul Sheerin being options tells you that locality and ability to attend were important factors; there were no foreign players up for selection. 

The omission of Robert Campbell from the first batch of inductees after Geoff Brown was a mistake and one that sadly doesn't look likely to be rectified this time round. The story of Johnny Cameron, as highlighted on Twitter, also deserves a far wider audience. 

Jim Weir was probably handing out nomination forms at Bannatyne's. 

Good news about Wotherspoon, continuity when doing well is important. Thought he might have fancied a go in the United States or Canada. 

From what I can see the Hall of Fame is a joke. Just had a look on the official site to see who is actually in it and there's nothing there. I gather the physical 'Hall of Fame' is actually a board on the wall at McDiarmid similar to those bowling clubs list their ladies champions on. 

Apart from it's physical presentation, the concept was flawed from the start. The club should have started it off with a decent number of key personnel from on and off the field to establish it.  They should have liaised with older supporters and the couple of excellent club historians to give it a decent starting base.  The club had been going for almost 130 years before it started so there was a fair bit of catching up to do but we just started with about half a dozen or so names. That the 13 that played and won the Scottish Cup aren't in there as a team is ridiculous. I'd also say the Ormond team that reached our first ever national final should be in as one too but appreciate that may be more debatable. 

A lot will obviously be subjective so the club should have taken a proper lead. It's a typical half hearted Saints effort. Good excuse for a piss up and making some money though.

Edited by 7-2

37 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

A lot will obviously be subjective so the club should have taken a proper lead. It's a typical half hearted Saints effort. Good excuse for a piss up and making some money though.

Some will argue that's what it is: a bit of fun and a chance to meet old players. At one level that's true.

But it's always bridled when pundits talked about clubs with 'great histories' -  you know the usual suspects. St Johnstone has a tremendous history. It's just not told properly.  So it annoys me when our own club trivialises its own past to such a degree.  

Edited by Mr Heliums

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Happy enough with that, hopefully keeps up his recent form.

Watt next pls, after that Easton and Alston are ones you'd like, but wouldn't be too surprised to lose.

Shaughnessy I still don't hold out much hope with.

The 4 you mention there are certainly the ones that stick out to me. The others are back up, younger players so will take care of themselves.

Alston's most recent extension included one of those fabled add on years based on appearances so again it shouldn't be one we have to worry about. It's very unclear how these contracts work though as it's never been fully explained whether the club or the player hold the ultimate sway on if/when these contracts are extended. 

Easton will depend on whether he is able to get himself fit again and shouldn't be an issue assuming he can. Watt and Shaughnessy have both talked up staying in the past but I do think both will ultimately leave us. I'm not sure I really understood the logic of letting Shaughnessy get to this stage in his contract. We took a risk last time and thankfully he stayed but he's performed to a consistently high standard for four years now and has inevitably attracted a bigger club with more resources. The longer the Watt extension lingers the more I think he'll end up leaving us. The obstacle of him having a questionable attitude has been removed coming to us, although he hasn't scored regularly which could count against him outside of Perth. As a support we know what he has contributed as we see him play regularly but it's maybe not so obviously for scouts/clubs who don't and that the stattos who watch spreadsheets over the actual football.

9 hours ago, Costanza said:

Did we get to the Scottish cup final in the 1930’s?!?

8 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

That's what I was thinking too :lol:

8 hours ago, Costanza said:

Maybe some Dundee fans will be on to clarify. They’ve got great long term memories.

3 hours ago, ali_91 said:

Definitely never, St Johnstone have never lost a Scottish Cup final. 100% record. Unbeatable. 

Can I just clarify that St Johnstone were not in a Scottish Cup Final in the 1930's.  

Apologies to anyone who may have been celebrating the announcement of this fake news!

The post should have read 'Scottish Cup semi-final team of the 1930's'.

Lost 1-0 to Rangers in 1934 I think I read.

7 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

I agree.

But if you're going to do it,  the value of any Hall of Fame is the way it acknowledges the contribition of former players - particularly those who might not have been recognised when they left - and educates fans by uncovering to fresh eyes heroes of the history of St Johnstone. That idea must have been behind the original Saints' Hall of Fame concept, in the way you could nominate a player from any era and offer a justification for it. 

Now we're putting Jim Weir and Dave Mackay up against McCarry and Rooney, with no accompanying narrative. How can any fan under 60 choose in an informed way? The conclusion you have to draw is that they aren't meant to.

The other unaddressed question is whether, say, Benny Rooney will ever be nominated again if he isn't recognised this time. You'd think not.  A shame that someone who captained arguably our best-ever side is up against Dave Mackay, who recently left the club lauded by a cup-winners' celebration and a testimonial. It's not as if his contribution went so unrewarded that it has to be revisited again 16 months later.

Agree, any vote amongst supporters is going to be slanted towards players they have watched, thus favouring the more recent players.