Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

3 minutes ago, Cairn Terrier said:

Can't say I've heard of this guy.

Opinion?

Imagine his spell at your club might help determine his direction. Not featured much for the first team, but has looked promising whenever he has played.

21 minutes ago, Cairn Terrier said:

Can't say I've heard of this guy.

Opinion?

Those that have watched the reserves/ development side over the last few years will have seen a lot more of him, but from what I've seen he's a sitting midfielder who likes a pass. Quite composed on the ball.

He was reckoned to be one of the brighter prospects from our youth set up in his age group.

The big question, as RG says, is whether he can do it in 'men's football'.  This loan spell is exactly what he needs.

Just now, The Woolshed said:

Mclean being interviewed on sky sports 1 there. Didn’t see the match so no idea how he’s been. Anywhere near a start for us standard?

I watched a game on sky a few weeks back, he looked above the average over there in terms of ability and knowing where to be on the pitch, but the quality didn't look great at all.

Not helpful really, but it's hard to tell.

Hibs and Motherwell winning this weekend brings them within touching distance, but on the plus side we haven't lost/ gained ground on Aberdeen and Hearts, who had easier fixtures than us, and probably killie as well who you wouldn't expect to get three points this afternoon.

Motherwell's next two games are Celtic away and killie away. Hibs are at Dens on Friday night, then come to Perth the following midweek. 

The battle for top 6 could be a cracker this year with 8 teams in the mix.  Time to start getting a few wins under our belt again. 

It's a funny one with Weir. I think during his playing career, most Saints fans would have said he was a sure-fire candidate for a hypothetical hall of fame. Maybe time hasn't been kind to him in that regard - particularly as we've had numerous better defenders over the past 20-odd years (including several of his own contemporaries). No issue with his induction personally, though.

Dave Mackay as cup-winning captain is difficult to argue with, although perhaps it would have been more appropriate a few years down the line.

5 hours ago, derek_holmes said:

It's a funny one with Weir. I think during his playing career, most Saints fans would have said he was a sure-fire candidate for a hypothetical hall of fame. Maybe time hasn't been kind to him in that regard - particularly as we've had numerous better defenders over the past 20-odd years (including several of his own contemporaries). No issue with his induction personally, though.

I loved Jim Weir, but when you look at who hasn't yet been nominated, it does seem odd.

Voting hasn't been helped, this time around,  by the absence of categories, or the freedom to nominate any player. The way things are, fans will naturally gravitate towards players they've seen, so Jim Weir has an advantage (particularly when voting is online) over the likes of Buck McCarry or Benny Rooney, who played for the club more than 50 years ago.

The Hall of Fame concept is creakingly contrived, but it is an opportunity to highlight the achievements of older players who current fans might never have seen.

1 hour ago, Costanza said:

Anyone any idea how bad Clark’s injury is/how long he might be out for? Bell was fine I guess yesterday but wouldn’t really want him in there for sustained period

Getting scanned on Monday to assess. Hopefully it's not a tear. I would rather have Bell stepping in instead of the burnley laddy who had about 10 minutes of career experience. That switch during the window could end up being significant if clark is out for more than a couple of games.

20 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

The Hall of Fame concept is creakingly contrived, but it is an opportunity to highlight the achievements of older players who current fans might never have seen.

I realise I'll probably be alone in this, but I think it's pretty shite personally. Another Americanism that we feel we have to adopt over here.

Its so arbitrary who goes in and who doesn't. Everyone has their own feelings on who were key figures in their time watching the team and figures around the club, and that's the way it should be, not some set list.

So many players/ figures have made a valuable contribution over the years who won't get near being inducted.

I would prefer dinners to recognise teams of certain eras. If the players are no longer with us then their family members can be invited along. Do a wee video about the team and the characters, certain matches etc from the time, and interview key figures if we can.

The team that got to the Scottish Cup SEMI final in the 1930's, The team that reached two semi finals in the early sixties, The Ormond era side, the Alex Rennie side, Totten's Saints, the 3rd place Monaco squad, and of course the Cup Final team, etc.

Edited by PauloPerth