Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Now that the dust has settled on yesterday I’m feeling better about our position. A win against Hibs and we’re in a great position. Motherwell have a tough 3 games coming up and whilst Hibs could catch us by the night we play them, beating them would see us ahead. That would mean anything from the next two games is a bonus.

O'Halloran off injured early into the reserves match today, no idea how serious that is.

Rangers fans on Twitter reacting to it exactly as you'd expect, itll be outstanding if he scored the winner on Saturday. 

18 hours ago, Radford said:

Despite the opposition in two of his games, Goss is under pressure now and the decision to withdraw him at HT was interesting. It comes back to the same thing as mentioned before, we have the central midfielders to do the job against the poorer teams, it was against the top teams where we struggled for possession and didn't use the ball well. It was games like today where we needed Goss to make his mark and he was hooked after 45 minutes.

If it wasn't Gordon, not sure who was meant to be on the bench today but pulled out for Alston?

I enjoyed our performances at Celtic Park last season but Celtic had 31 shots, 66% possession and 12 corners in the 1-1 game, then we committed 23 fouls in the 0-0 game. At the end of the day, the results in these games are more down to Celtic than anything else.

I have no idea know what our strongest team is, that's a concern admittedly.

Can't argue with that. I took the Goss decision as being tactical rather than performance but then again I have been running a fever all weekend, thought that the second goal was a halucination. 

Seems to me that some folk think there's too much greetin' about the performance. Nobody expects to win these games, clearly, but I think it's hard to ignore how flat we've looked since  Hearts. I keep thinking back to that Motherwell game at home in the horrible weather, something seemed amiss there but the Dundee game we'd turned it around. Could go mad trying to analyse reasons and there's no evidence it's a problem in the dressing room, I doubt it's manager's tactics or selection - yes one or two things we could debate but the players on the park should have been good enough. I honestly don't think contract uncertainty can be helping either. 

Just seems that on an individual performance level there's a few that have hit form issues, we're far too soft in the middle of the park and we can't create chances for strikers that can't score goals! Maybe just one of those cyclical things, hope to see it sort itself out like the last time we got a hosing off the tic.

Edit : the Gordon thing is just odd. No idea what that's about but hope it's something with a simple explanation.  

Edited by Valentino Bolognese
Gordon

13 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Can't argue with that. I took the Goss decision as being tactical rather than performance but then again I have been running a fever all weekend, thought that the second goal was a halucination. 

Seems to me that some folk think there's too much greetin' about the performance. Nobody expects to win these games, clearly, but I think it's hard to ignore how flat we've looked since  Hearts. I keep thinking back to that Motherwell game at home in the horrible weather, something seemed amiss there but the Dundee game we'd turned it around. Could go mad trying to analyse reasons and there's no evidence it's a problem in the dressing room, I doubt it's manager's tactics or selection - yes one or two things we could debate but the players on the park should have been good enough. I honestly don't think contract uncertainty can be helping either. 

Just seems that on an individual performance level there's a few that have hit form issues, we're far too soft in the middle of the park and we can't create chances for strikers that can't score goals! Maybe just one of those cyclical things, hope to see it sort itself out like the last time we got a hosing off the tic.

Edit : the Gordon thing is just odd. No idea what that's about but hope it's something with a simple explanation.  

We're actually in a much better position contract wise than we usually are at this stage. From the players who started on Saturday, only Shaughnessy, Wotherspoon  and Foster (who has been 'dotting the i's and dotting the t's on an extension for a couple of weeks now) are out of contract. Goss is a loanee and the rest are signed up until at least 2020. On top of those 3, only Alston and Watt being out of contract may have an adverse  effect on how the team performs - the rest are either perennial bench warmers, loanees or coming back from long term injury.

The winter break seems to have completely killed our momentum. We obviously won our first two games back but the games were pretty rubbish and the only game we've been anywhere near good enough is the Celtic home game since, which was quite a promising performance but ultimately ended in defeat.

18 minutes ago, Kyle said:

We're actually in a much better position contract wise than we usually are at this stage. From the players who started on Saturday, only Shaughnessy, Wotherspoon  and Foster (who has been 'dotting the i's and dotting the t's on an extension for a couple of weeks now) are out of contract. Goss is a loanee and the rest are signed up until at least 2020. On top of those 3, only Alston and Watt being out of contract may have an adverse  effect on how the team performs - the rest are either perennial bench warmers, loanees or coming back from long term injury.

The winter break seems to have completely killed our momentum. We obviously won our first two games back but the games were pretty rubbish and the only game we've been anywhere near good enough is the Celtic home game since, which was quite a promising performance but ultimately ended in defeat.

I'd think that 4 starting players (I'll include Watt as a starter as he generally has been) not being on contracts could have an impact, but take your point and it's not as if other teams don't have the same issue. 

I was pretty happy after the Celtic home game, because the attitude seemed better and the second goal was for the 'right' reasons. Quality let us down on that occasion. 

Just watched Tommy's post-match. All measured and sensible. Note Tony Watt in the background signing a ball for one of the grounds staff. 

I've been pondering a little today. Whilst (in my mind) the results against celtic are irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, the result at Hamilton has me fizzing :angry:

This however,

5 hours ago, The Woolshed said:

Now that the dust has settled on yesterday I’m feeling better about our position. A win against Hibs and we’re in a great position. Motherwell have a tough 3 games coming up and whilst Hibs could catch us by the night we play them, beating them would see us ahead. That would mean anything from the next two games is a bonus.

Has cheered me up somewhat :) 

Pleased with this, Foster and Wright started to get a really good relationship going on the wing earlier on in the season, well suited to each others style of play. 

Look forward to seeing them link up again once Wright returns from his injury, albeit likely to be next season unfortunately.

Yes Foster does need competition and his cover at the moment is one of our two first pick Centre Backs which is not great..I'm disappointed that Comrie looks to have had his day because at one time he looked  a real prospect..I watched him with the 19's he was outstanding and he also had a couple of successful loan spells.Just as it looked like he was starting to progress into the first team squad he had that one disastrous game which appears to have killed his confidence and also TW's confidence in him.

Edited by Lang Toon Saintee

Definitely plus one for Foster needing competition. He was poor at the start of last season but picked up after Comrie got a run in the team.

There are instances where just getting an opposed run can benefit a younger player (e.g. Tanser) but an old pro like Foster needs competition, and not from a winner.

Hadn’t realised that there’s now 3 ex Saintees in the Carlisle squad (certainly this evening). Would I take any of them in our starting line up? Probably not. And that’s not a slight on any of them as they are carving out decent enough careers. But this is a Carlisle team one place of automatic promotion in Lg2. Where would St Johnstone finish over the course of a season In England with this current squad. I’d go for mid table Lg1.

18 minutes ago, The Woolshed said:

Hadn’t realised that there’s now 3 ex Saintees in the Carlisle squad (certainly this evening). Would I take any of them in our starting line up? Probably not. And that’s not a slight on any of them as they are carving out decent enough careers. But this is a Carlisle team one place of automatic promotion in Lg2. Where would St Johnstone finish over the course of a season In England with this current squad. I’d go for mid table Lg1.

Theres a tasty irony to Scougall mewling on Twitter about not playing for us, then ending up sitting on Carlisles bench.

25 minutes ago, The Woolshed said:

I think you're about right. I'd say we could potentially challenge at the top end of League One based on the absolute drivel I've witnessed down here.

On 12/02/2019 at 20:32, The Woolshed said:

Chortle, wouldn’t be mid table in the Conference