Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

9 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

For all Celtic's good football and athleticism, they certainly have a cynical side in terms of whenever we looked to break or get into space,  they deliberately foul.

We gave as good as we got, but I think our fouls were more mis-timed challenges against quicker or more skilful opponents.

Agreed. I wish we were more cynical. We foul less than anyone in the league (only 7 midweek, away at Celtic) and there’s been quite a few instances where I wish our players would just take the fucking booking. 

6 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

QPR's Les Ferdinand and Chris Ramsay at the game yesterday apparently pretending they were watching Goss. Clark/Kerr watch is getting serious. 

My thoughts too. May well have been there to watch Goss but Clark's performance is bound to have peaked their interest.

We really need to get him Jason Kerr'd in terms of his contract. Only 18 months left on his deal.

7 minutes ago, Kyle said:

My thoughts too. May well have been there to watch Goss but Clark's performance is bound to have peaked their interest.

We really need to get him Jason Kerr'd in terms of his contract. Only 18 months left on his deal.

*piqued.

Unlucky yesterday boys. Whoever the defender was that was sleeping for Forrest's goal needs walloped though.

2 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I can't see the Director of Football and Technical Director travelling up to watch a player they just loaned out about 4 days previously tbh. Clubs at their level often have one of their scouting team dedicated to watching their loaned out players. Don't know if there are any Celtic players they'd be interested in. With us being told at least one Championship club has scouted them already it hints at Ferdinand and Ramsay taking interest to the next level. 

1 hour ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

*piqued.

Unlucky yesterday boys. Whoever the defender was that was sleeping for Forrest's goal needs walloped though.

Thank you. My spelling is getting worse the older I get. 

You’re probably right 7-2.

Bit of a surprising update in respect of new contracts. Wright briefly went over where we are with them in his match preview and he's listing Wotherspoon in the 'wait and see' camp along with Shaughnessy. Sounds like he may be considering other offers? Given some of the shit he has to put up with in the stands every week, you can't really blame him if he does leave.  

On the good news front, it sounds like Foster's extension will be announced shortly and we're currently talking to Zander about extending his deal beyond 2020.

9 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Bit of a surprising update in respect of new contracts. Wright briefly went over where we are with them in his match preview and he's listing Wotherspoon in the 'wait and see' camp along with Shaughnessy. Sounds like he may be considering other offers? Given some of the shit he has to put up with in the stands every week, you can't really blame him if he does leave.  

On the good news front, it sounds like Foster's extension will be announced shortly and we're currently talking to Zander about extending his deal beyond 2020.

Some of the reactions in the stands when Spoony makes a mistake are way over the top at times, that being said he really doesn't help himself with some of the decision making when it's not his game. I do often just sit there listening to all of the derision aimed at him and feel entirely sorry for the guy, whom is usually just an ear shot away already standing with his head in his hands. Maybe it is time for a fresh start for the lad.

Edited by SaintDougie

Yep I sit in despair when that crap starts too. Unlike so many others over the years, if he does have a bad game he never hides. He comes back looking for the ball and tries to either make amends or make something happen for Saints. 

Some in the crowd have started ironically cheering when he gets subbed off. There's just no need for that at all.

Yep I sit in despair when that crap starts too. Unlike so many others over the years, if he does have a bad game he never hides. He comes back looking for the ball and tries to either make amends or make something happen for Saints. 
Some in the crowd have started ironically cheering when he gets subbed off. There's just no need for that at all.

He also makes more of a contribution than he is given credit for. Quick throw in against St Mirren leading to Watt's goal and quick corner against the Coagies leading to Craig's goal are 2 very but far from isolated examples.

56 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I'd be staggered if Wotherspoon got a better move than us, at this stage. Only thing I can imagine is he wants to see if an English team will come in with a hefty wage, there's a lot of clubs down there who seem obsessed by "moneyball" ala Brentford, and might see his importance to us in terms of raw numbers.

Certainly can't see any teams above us in the league making a move.

5 minutes ago, The Marly said:
36 minutes ago, Kyle said:

He also makes more of a contribution than he is given credit for. Quick throw in against St Mirren leading to Watt's goal and quick corner against the Coagies leading to Craig's goal are 2 very but far from isolated examples.

Totally agree.  He always gets pelters from people who sit around me, including at the Hearts game where he had apparently done absolutely nothing... except, of course, putting in a great cross for Blair Alston's equaliser in the first half of that game which had mysteriously been forgotten about. 

There was a point in the second half of the game on Sunday where Davidson picked up the ball with a bit of space and time in midfield and he played a sensational pass just ahead of James Forrest on Celtic's right wing. No shouts or cries of derision - I turned to my friend and just said 'imagine the reaction if that had been Wotherspoon' 

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'd be staggered if Wotherspoon got a better move than us, at this stage. Only thing I can imagine is he wants to see if an English team will come in with a hefty wage, there's a lot of clubs down there who seem obsessed by "moneyball" ala Brentford, and might see his importance to us in terms of raw numbers.

Certainly can't see any teams above us in the league making a move.

I had it suggested to me that it may be a club in America or Canada and he's considering the move to help his International prospects. That's based on nothing other than speculation but you could see why he'd be interested in such a move.

Edited by Kyle

6 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I had it suggested to me that it may be a club in America or Canada and he's considering the move to help his International prospects. That's based on nothing other than speculation but you could see why he'd be interested in such a move.

Do you think he cares that much about being capped by Canada? I don't mean that as harshly as it comes across, but it's a big life decision for a few caps.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Do you think he cares that much about being capped by Canada? I don't mean that as harshly as it comes across, but it's a big life decision for a few caps.

You never know. A decent chance to play in some international tournaments, not impossible they could make the next world cup and he might fancy getting out of gammony Brexit Britain or just wants to emigrate. He's probably at a good age for it.

I think you're right in that I doubt anyone above us or Hibs below us would make an offer for him and I doubt anyone at a decent level in England would have a nibble either, which is why i think a move across the pond makes sense if he is looking at other offers.

Edited by Kyle

Regarding Spoony's performance, I thought it was embarrassing when he came on with fresh legs and Broonie, who had played for over an hour, left him for dead.

And no, I'm not a boo boy, I just don't understand how a fit looking young laddie can be so slow.