Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

41 minutes ago, Broon_100 said:

Here's a difficult one for you. It's becoming clear Jason Kerr is going to be a top top player. 

If you had the choice between re-signing Joe on a 2.5 year deal or using the money to extend Kerr by 1 year what would you take? Given that the latter option could see us with neither of them next season.

Difficult. I'd probably go for the latter option too because that probably adds quite a lot more money onto any potential sale of Kerr. Shaughnessy extending for 2 and a half years would be a delightful second prize though.

The sale of players like Kerr when they come along is vital to Saints, so boosting our hand there is the preference.

Shaughnessy has come in on a free and contributed really well for four years even if he chooses to move on. You thank him for that and accept it's the way of football now.

Inject this news right into my veins :wub: 

The one who I’d rather was left to the end, let’s face it he was never going anywhere of saints wanted to keep him.

Just now, Widge said:

The one who I’d rather was left to the end, let’s face it he was never going anywhere of saints wanted to keep him.

Why have him worrying about his future when he's so obviously going to get a new deal? He's been tremendous this season and deserves it as much as anyone and more than most.

Why have him worrying about his future when he's so obviously going to get a new deal? He's been tremendous this season and deserves it as much as anyone and more than most.

Works both ways. Both he and saints know he isn’t going to leave, keep him playing well and playing for as good an extension as he can get. It’s the exact same way I wouldn’t be offering Spoony anything. He seems to play better knowing his future is at stake.

4 minutes ago, Widge said:

Works both ways. Both he and saints know he isn’t going to leave, keep him playing well and playing for as good an extension as he can get. It’s the exact same way I wouldn’t be offering Spoony anything. He seems to play better knowing his future is at stake.

I don't agree with that. Arguably Liam's best spell (other than this season) was the last 6 months of his first spell with us when his future was sorted out with Hibs. 

I know you're not his biggest fan but he's a popular player with the support and he's playing to a very high standard. I doubt he'd be tempted away from Saints but equally we need to reward players who are playing well.

Edit: I'm not sure Spoony's form has earned a contract yet to be honest. He's played well in flashes this season and had a purple patch during our good run but he's not been brilliant the last couple of years. I'd hold off on giving him terms as I don't think he's earned them in the same way that Tanser, Craig, Watt etc have.

Edited by Kyle

David McMillan has been made available for transfer and 'one or two' clubs are in for Scougall. Also expecting 'quite a few' more contract extensions to be confirmed and announced over the next few days.

35 minutes ago, Kyle said:

David McMillan has been made available for transfer and 'one or two' clubs are in for Scougall. Also expecting 'quite a few' more contract extensions to be confirmed and announced over the next few days.

I'm not surprised by the news on McMillan..He's not a bad player but he does not really fit in with our system and the quality up front has increased dramatically from when he was first signed.

Just now, Lang Toon Saintee said:

I'm not surprised by the news on McMillan..He's not a bad player but he does not really fit in with our system and the quality up front has increased dramatically from when he was first signed.

Can't say I'm too shocked either. I hadn't realised until reading WAP afterwards that McMillan wasn't in the squad on Wednesday - that's probably a clue as to his fate.

Feel a wee bit sorry for McMillan. Didn't really get a chance. Scored in back to back games earlier in the season, then dropped for the next one and very few appearances since.

Probably a bit unlucky we managed to sign Watt (and more recently O'Halloran) since he joined us, as Tony is a different class to most strikers at this level.  Just hope we get Watt signed up for a longer deal.

It does feel like we're only signing players who can make a significant impact in the starting eleven over the past two windows. When you think of some of the squad fillers we've seen over the years, it seems to be a conscious change in direction. 

Looking at the starting eleven the other night and the attacking options on the bench, and compare to one year ago, its a massive difference.  That's on top of an improved defence.

McMillans a strange one, cause he can obviously finish and gets in good positions. Problem is he wasn’t being played as a main striker and his link up play isn’t the best, nor is he going to run the channels and rush defenders.

It’s a shame, but he’ll get another club back home no problem. He was worth the chance on and did score a few goals so by no means a poor signing.

59 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Do you know which clubs are reported to be in for Scougall Kyle?