Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Also thought Ross County might be a possible club that would come in for Scougall, but that's probably unlikely now.  Some of their fans have been saying all season they keep plenty possession but lacked a creative spark, and they obviously don't mind splashing money about.  He'd be a stand out at that level.

As it stands, with the lack of speculation, is there a very real possibility that Stefan sees out his contract with us?  Quite a big wage if he's not going to be involved.

That would be about the only positive of drawing Celtic in the cup; it will give a boost to the coffers when we haven't been shy in making great signings this season, and possibly pushed our budget a bit.

Scougall should be looking to use this 6 months to get in the shop window. That's not happening at Saints, so if he has any self respect and actually believes in himself he should be jumping at the chance to play football. If he stays, that tells you all you need to know about the laddie. 

Edited by tree house tam

:wub: 

Tony Watt came with a bit of a reputation of being a trouble maker and  for having a bad attitude. That can't be any further from the truth - he's been brilliant on and off the pitch for us since he signed. I hope we can get him tied down for at least another couple of seasons.

Edited by Kyle

Same as Woolshed, ever since Stevie May's "why would I leave? I'm playing for my hometown club, enjoying my football and winning things etc.."  on the pitch after the Cup Final, I'm a little bit wary when it comes to what players say.

When agents get in their ear and start throwing figures around, it's often a different story.

Would be great if Tony does sign up, he's been an excellent signing. It's been great for him as well, as he seems to have found a bit of stability football wise.

Tbf to Swanson, Robert Thomson constantly says he was never offered a contract by Saints until Hibs had already made an approach, and by that point his heart was set on making it with them.

I can see him staying, I just hope it doesn't drag on and start to distract him, but he doesn't seem the type of person to be dictated by an agent or by money, he genuinely just seems to want to play football. Getting him to 2021 would be outstanding, and could help sway other to extend even further too (Kennedy). 

54 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Same as Woolshed, ever since Stevie May's "why would I leave? I'm playing for my hometown club, enjoying my football and winning things etc.."  on the pitch after the Cup Final, I'm a little bit wary when it comes to what players say.

When agents get in their ear and start throwing figures around, it's often a different story.

Would be great if Tony does sign up, he's been an excellent signing. It's been great for him as well, as he seems to have found a bit of stability football wise.

Was having the same sense of deja vu about some of May's comments when readings Joe's.

May was being blinded by the euphoria of the Cup win, asking him that question at that point was always going to get that response. 

I'm not sure it's similar to Shaughnessy who's seemingly confirmed he wanted to stay in private talks with the manager.

Unless May also done that, I can't remember tbh.

I'm sure they Shaughnessy and Watt do want to stay but if you're offered a huge pay rise to do the same job elsewhere, it's pretty hard to turn down and it merits you to at least think about it before staying put.

We've obviously been burned in the past but I feel you have to take players at face value. Watt gives off the impression he's enjoying is football which is something he wont have had with any regularity in a long time and Joe is the club captain who has played every match he's been available for over the course of the last 4 seasons. 

For what it's worth, I can see Shaughnessy going and Watt staying but I guess we'll see what happens over the next few weeks.

Steve Brown probably drove Stevie May down to Hillsborough when that bid came in. I'm not sure a new contract would have got us much more money. The player was hardly pushing for the move either. 

Swanson has always been vacuous when it comes to this sort of stuff and Watt does possibly have a bit of that about him. They aren't doing it as any great fault that reflects on them, more likely is they are just trying to please and be seen to say the right thing in the eyes of supporters. 

In short, I agree you can't place too much on Watt's comments, the time to celebrate will be if he signs the deal. 

Watt said: “St Johnstone made me an offer last week, but the Hamilton game got priority, and I put it to the back of my mind.
“We will pick it up again this week. I like it here and would love to stay.
It’s just down to Saints how much they want me now. If they want me they can have me.

The story has a nice headline but here is the real point of the piece.

44 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Jason Kerr though. I still maintain what I said a few weeks back, that he is better than McKenna at Aberdeen. A much more accomplished footballer. Joy to watch. EPL team there to watch him tonight.

Christ. He was flawless tonight too. 

Hearts then 3 big games against Celtic coming up for clubs to gauge just how good he is against strong opposition (Celtic).

Desperately hope there's no bids in this window, but if someone did come in, we really should be holding out for our biggest ever fee for a player.

7 hours ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Jason Kerr though. I still maintain what I said a few weeks back, that he is better than McKenna at Aberdeen. A much more accomplished footballer. Joy to watch. EPL team there to watch him tonight.

Settle down   with  all this he is better him shit.    both are great young scottish defenders who would walk into any championship side down south and possibley 

some epl  sides    .    Both should be talked up  but we want     Millions for Mckenna and we will get it .     Porteous  at Hibs also   looks like becoming great centre half if he can sort his injuries out.     

Settle down   with  all this he is better him shit.    both are great young scottish defenders who would walk into any championship side down south and possibley 
some epl  sides    .    Both should be talked up  but we want     Millions for Mckenna and we will get it .     Porteous  at Hibs also   looks like becoming great centre half if he can sort his injuries out.     

All about opinions. I rate McKenna believe me but think as an all round footballer I think Kerr edges him. Great to finally have two young talented centre halves. Just a pity one won't get near the national team while at saints.