Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 hour ago, 7-2 said:

From what I've read since the news came out I doubt anyone will be too bothered if he signs for County instead of us.

I think a lot of that is down to not knowing anything about him, really.

He's a 23yo with 100 top flight appearances and set up just under twice as many goals (18 direct assists, closest was 11) as anyone else in the Championship last season.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Late to the party but Polwarth to me seems like another slow creative midfielder that would chip in with the odd goal or assist without doing too much else- so basically another Alston or Wotherspoon. Swapping Scougall, who was basically the same thing but smaller and without the odd goal or assist, for Polwarth doesn’t particularly inspire tbh. We could really use some pace down the wings with Drey out for the season

37 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

Late to the party but Polwarth to me seems like another slow creative midfielder that would chip in with the odd goal or assist without doing too much else- so basically another Alston or Wotherspoon. Swapping Scougall, who was basically the same thing but smaller and without the odd goal or assist, for Polwarth doesn’t particularly inspire tbh. We could really use some pace down the wings with Drey out for the season

He sets up shitloads for ICT, one of their fans reckon 66% of their goals this season have been directly following one of his passes.

I think we need a player who's capable of making them passes from the middle, gambling on a 24yo with 100 top flight games, and probably a smaller wage, seems one that's worth trying.

I think we'll sign a winger this week, whether that's O'Halloran or Armstrong, who's contract officially ends with Raith today at some point, but that's based on nothing other than a feeling and my, usually miles out, interpretation of quotes/rumours.

Edited by RandomGuy.

I think if it wasn't O'Halloran that TW wanted then he would have quashed the links in The Courier today. Looks obvious to me that he was asked about MO'H but just gave it the usual "won't say anything until things are finalised" chat. 

Don't know a lot about Polworth but a signing I think I'd be happy with. The point about having a creative threat through the middle is valid. 

2 hours ago, Kyle said:

Liam Gordon the first to sign a contract extension, until 2021. 

Happy with that, especially the length.

Assume the "plan" is to sell Kerr for dolla dolla and have Gordon step into the side beside Shaughnessy without huge disruption. 

I think that must have formed part of the discussion.

As brilliant as it is for us having a stand in centre half as good as he's been in his limited appearances, as a 22 ish year old he must want to play regular first team football, especially when he sees how Kerr has kicked on and now in the limelight.

Tommy must have chatted with Liam about expecting one of our current starting centre backs to be snapped up over the next 6-12 months.

Pure speculation on my part.

Great that he's signed up though.

Assume the "plan" is to sell Kerr for dolla dolla and have Gordon step into the side beside Shaughnessy without huge disruption. 
I'd assume the plan would be to have 3 quality centre backs. You never know - one might get injured or suspended or something.

14 minutes ago, The Marly said:
2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'd assume the plan would be to have 3 quality centre backs. You never know - one might get injured or suspended or something.

Well yeah, but for the length of contract he's signed, I was guessing he'll have had a conversation about what role the club sees him playing in that time. He's surely aware he could join a lesser squad in this league (Dundee, St Mirren, Hamilton) and start regular games, whereas here he's played about 5 league games in half a season. 

That conversation, I guessed, would likely include Kerr leaving and Gordon being given the chance to play regularly.

It’s amazing what playing well and having no fears of relegation can do to a squad. They’re not playing for their future any more, they’re playing for essentially a promotion either in contact length, wages or even a move.

I also noticed a table in the Motherwell thread that showed aerial duels won this season and Joe Shaughnessy was joint top on 91%. For all people used to say he wasn’t dominant or got bullied, Jason Kerr is also in the top 10 but by comparison is only on 82%. I know a lot of people at the start of the season wanted Gordon in to replace Joe, but even in those games I was giving him man of the matches. He’s been nothing short of excellent this season and is adding important goals to win points. He’s he next one to get an extension please, 2 years at least.

That's braw news, one of those who didn't think he was good enough, been proved very wrong.

Clark, Tanser and Gordon now signed long term, if we could get Shaughnessy and Kerr on similar deals, it means the defensive focus can be on finding a right back to replace Foster at some point over the next year.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

That's braw news, one of those who didn't think he was good enough, been proved very wrong.

Clark, Tanser and Gordon now signed long term, if we could get Shaughnessy and Kerr on similar deals, it means the defensive focus can be on finding a right back to replace Foster at some point over the next year.

Indeed - having those 5 players on deals for at least the next 18 months would be brilliant business for us. Getting Shaughnessy's deal extended is the number one priority IMO. I wouldn't be adverse (;)) to us taking a Tanser/Wright style punt on a young right back from England whilst Foster is still at a good enough level to play if that goes tits up. I'm not talking a Dundee style punt on a shitehawk from the 6th tier of English football or anything, but I'm sure we could find a player with good potential in the English lower leagues who is capable of stepping up to our level and becoming a fixture in our side.