Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

2 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

You can add Kerr and Gordon to that list too.

Absolutely meant to have Kerr in. Gordon has potential for sure, would be interesting to see after a run of games. He's never let us down though.

23 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Kerr is surely our biggest asset from a sell on point of view. Still 21, playing every week for a team keeping clean sheets every game and rolls roycing it. 

And getting better with every game. Will take a couple of performances against the old firm before anyone talks him up properly though, same for Clark.

1 hour ago, perthsaint1977 said:

I'd say Kerr is a better player than McKenna at the sheep.

Some might laugh but ask yourself the question seriously - would you swap him? I honestly don't think I would.

Edited by Broon_100

1 hour ago, perthsaint1977 said:

I'd say Kerr is a better player than McKenna at the sheep.

4 minutes ago, Broon_100 said:

Some might laugh but ask yourself the question seriously - would you swap him? I honestly don't think I would.

Kerr’s great.

But you boys need your heids examined.

Kerr’s great.
But you boys need your heids examined.
In my opinion he is a better all round footballer.
McKenna toiled badly to get any game time any where on loan including the levels that Kerr Excelled at with east Fife.
McKenna is good I just feel Kerr is better and will get better due to being more comfortable with the ball.
If Kerr was at Celtic or rangers just now they would say he was worth many millions.
We need to stop down playing our players and talk them up.
They are in no way any less than rivals from Aberdeen, hearts etc

Just now, perthsaint1977 said:

In my opinion he is a better all round footballer.
McKenna toiled badly to get any game time any where on loan including the levels that Kerr Excelled at with east Fife.
McKenna is good I just feel Kerr is better and will get better due to being more comfortable with the ball.
If Kerr was at Celtic or rangers just now they would say he was worth many millions.
We need to stop down playing our players and talk them up.
They are in no way any less than rivals from Aberdeen, hearts etc

I hear what you’re saying. And as I said, Kerr is great. I love the guy. He’s got bags of potential beyond St Johnstone.

At the same time, I’ve seen a lot of McKenna over the past two seasons. He’s an absolute beast. A unit. He’s also got a great football brain and a wand of a left foot. Very comfy on the ball. Uses it well. Strides out of defence with confidence. At this stage, he’s a level beyond Kerr.

I’m not saying Kerr won’t get there. He’s got great attributes. But McKenna’s seriously impressive at this point.

I hear what you’re saying. And as I said, Kerr is great. I love the guy. He’s got bags of potential beyond St Johnstone.
At the same time, I’ve seen a lot of McKenna over the past two seasons. He’s an absolute beast. A unit. He’s also got a great football brain and a wand of a left foot. Very comfy on the ball. Uses it well. Strides out of defence with confidence. At this stage, he’s a level beyond Kerr.
I’m not saying Kerr won’t get there. He’s got great attributes. But McKenna’s seriously impressive at this point.
I totally hear you and from what I've seen of McKenna, he is a different type of defender to Kerr so it's tough to completely compare like for like.
I just think it's to easy to say because a player plays for a bigger team then he is better.
If Scotland had any sense they would be getting the pair of them playing together in some friendlies real soon.
But we know that won't happen as bates plays in Germany and porteous the next super star plays for Hibs etc.
Kerr will make saints a heap of money.

15 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

I totally hear you and from what I've seen of McKenna, he is a different type of defender to Kerr so it's tough to completely compare like for like.
I just think it's to easy to say because a player plays for a bigger team then he is better.
If Scotland had any sense they would be getting the pair of them playing together in some friendlies real soon.
But we know that won't happen as bates plays in Germany and porteous the next super star plays for Hibs etc.
Kerr will make saints a heap of money.

I certainly hope Kerr does make Saints a heap of money. I’d like to see him stay another season after this one, playing every week. If he gets to this stage a year from now, still in the team, he’ll be even better for it, and it won’t be the likes of Celtic and Rangers looking at him. He’ll be out of their price range. Much like McKenna is now.

incidentally, in order to help that whole “making Saints a pile of money” scenario along, I’d love to see the club get him tied to a longer contract. Ideally any day now.

If not, it actually wouldn’t shock me if Aberdeen chucked a bid in next month.

Edited by WendyWho?

We shouldn't accept anything less than £1m for Kerr, we're not desperate for money. If he could get over the giant McLeish shaped roadblock and get a cap, we should be looking to break Calum Davidsons fee.

McKenna is stronger and quicker, but the gap isn't a huge one.

Jack Hendry - £1m

Scott McKenna - £5m

I'd say Kerr is closer to McKenna in terms of ability.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We shouldn't accept anything less than £1m for Kerr, we're not desperate for money. If he could get over the giant McLeish shaped roadblock and get a cap, we should be looking to break Calum Davidsons fee.

McKenna is stronger and quicker, but the gap isn't a huge one.

Jack Hendry - £1m

Scott McKenna - £5m

I'd say Kerr is closer to McKenna in terms of ability.

I’m not advocating a move to Aberdeen for the boy. I agree Kerr’s better than Hendry.

I do wonder whether Aberdeen could convince with a mid-six-figure offer next month and the promise of an obscene sell-on clause though?

If McKenna goes, I could see them making a move.

Edited by WendyWho?

Just now, WendyWho? said:

I’m not advocating a move to Aberdeen for the boy. 

I do wonder whether Aberdeen could convince with a mid-six-figure offer this month and the promise of an obscene sell-on clause though?

If McKenna goes in Jan, I could see them making a move.

They could blow us away in terms of wages, if what they're paying May is correct, but I can't see him thinking it's a step up worth taking just now. He'll be looking down South.

No idea what would happen if Aberdeen bid a substantial amount though. I'd like to think we'd reject it.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

They could blow us away in terms of wages, if what they're paying May is correct, but I can't see him thinking it's a step up worth taking just now. He'll be looking down South.

No idea what would happen if Aberdeen bid a substantial amount though. I'd like to think we'd reject it.

Wages would certainly be a factor from Kerr’s perspective.

But if Aberdeen punt McKenna for a substantial fee they’ll feel themselves well-placed to say to Steve Brown that they could get a bigger sum a year down the line for Kerr than we could. Chuck a 33.333 etc.% sell-on onto the deal and I could see that being tempting.

Edited by WendyWho?

I wonder if Jason Kerr had been brought through at an academy down south if he'd have been developed as a right back.  He has a lot of the attributes of a full back at that level: he's quick, mobile and aggressive, good in the air and good on the ball. I get the impression watching him that he often wants to drive forward with the ball, and he'd get a lot more opportunity to do that at right back.

Hes an excellent centre back in our league, and he's obviously not small, but I tend to think of centre backs in the EPL/ English championship as giants.  Obviously not always the case,  but any that aren't have to be fairly exceptional.

That would be the main difference I see between him and McKenna, as SM is a beast and quite physically imposing.  Football wise I don't think there's a lot in it, and Kerr actually looked the more impressive out the two in the game last month.

2 hours ago, WendyWho? said:

Wages would certainly be a factor from Kerr’s perspective.

But if Aberdeen punt McKenna for a substantial fee they’ll feel themselves well-placed to say to Steve Brown that they could get a bigger sum a year down the line for Kerr than we could. Chuck a 33.333 etc.% sell-on onto the deal and I could see that being tempting.

I think it would need considered. Only question is how much more exposure he'd actually get by joining them, as neither would be a "final destination" for him.

For all the flaws English teams have, they do generally have huge scouting networks, and they tend to value players talent over the club they play for. I'm not sure two good seasons with Aberdeen would add a massive amount to how they view him, unless the could win the league. 

I’m led to believe Stoke have been monitoring Zander in recent weeks. I wonder if they’d take a punt on either Jason or Zander himself. How much would we want for them and who’d be the bigger loss? Personally I think Zander is the bigger asset as I’ve not seen any of Hurst to know whether he’d fill the void. I genuinely think over time Liam could be a fantastic CH too.

4 minutes ago, The Woolshed said:

I’m led to believe Stoke have been monitoring Zander in recent weeks. I wonder if they’d take a punt on either Jason or Zander himself. How much would we want for them and who’d be the bigger loss? Personally I think Zander is the bigger asset as I’ve not seen any of Hurst to know whether he’d fill the void. I genuinely think over time Liam could be a fantastic CH too.

I think we could pick up a decent goalkeeping option that would do us until our next prodigy is ready tbh. Young Sinclair has the minerals to be a fantastic goalie.