Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I was thinking signing O'Halloran until the end of the season would have been ideal in January as well. An impact player from the bench, with pace and the ability to score and create.  Would be a fine option in the absence of Drey.  His issues with injury are the problem, as Melbourne will want to give him a few games before deciding whether to loan him out. I'm sure he was due to be back around Xmas time, so he may well be an option in mid-late January.

I would still hang onto Scougall, depending on what else is available, as we definitely need another creative option in midfield, as we're only an injury or loss of form to a couple of players away from being down to the bare bones.

A left back is possible, though Tommy might be happy enough with the option of Foster left back, and Joe right if Tanser is out.

If Tony Watt isn't available, I'd be fine with McMillan getting a run of games. There's also the option of Hendry coming back, and I agree with akuram that Kane brings a lot of energy from the bench, although his quality in front of goal isn't always the best. In other words, I'd prefer a midfielder/ wide player ahead of a striker if it's a straight choice between the two.

That year with a year's option to extend looks like smart business now.

Hard to imagine he'd have gotten much interest last summer when he'd been a bit of a let down for us.

Edited by Kyle

Peter O'Rourke reporting it, is he not fairly ITK from in that area? Remember his name from the May saga.

I'd love to keep the Alston of this season but wouldn't be hugely worried if he left. 

I'd be interested to see where a team that signed him would play him.

Is his contract up at the end of this season, or the one after? 

If we got £100k for him then that would be a great bit of business.  

We’re starting to see the best of him as an attacking midfielder through the middle, but there was a long time where he made up the numbers in the squad.

50 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Is his contract up at the end of this season, or the one after? 

If we got £100k for him then that would be a great bit of business.  

We’re starting to see the best of him as an attacking midfielder through the middle, but there was a long time where he made up the numbers in the squad.

He's got a contract until the end of this season but it was reported there is an  option to extend it by a further year when it was announced.

Just found the club's article from the website;

The club can today confirm that 26-year-old midfielder Blair Alston has penned a new one-year-deal at McDiarmid Park, with the option of a further year depending on first-team involvement during next season.

So it's based on appearances. I'm hoping it's automatically triggered!

Edited by Kyle

You wait for ages for an Alston transfer story then two come along at once. The unofficial twitter just yesterday had pieces about Alston saying he was keen to stay and extend his contract then this today. I suppose agents play games at all levels.

It's a strange one for me. If Blair Alston can't guarantee himself a place in our starting line-up, it's equally unlikely that he'd guarantee himself a place in an English League One starting line-up. He has only started six league matches this season (although admittedly he was injured at one point). A couple of promising performances, but still very much a bit-part player. Don't get me wrong, I've only been able to watch a few of our matches so far, but I wouldn't necessarily say that Alston has even done enough to guarantee himself a new contract at this stage. Certainly not as a priority above some of the other out-of-contract players. It looks like the Sky Sports 'Goal of the Day' has instantly boosted his profile down south.

48 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

It's a strange one for me. If Blair Alston can't guarantee himself a place in our starting line-up, it's equally unlikely that he'd guarantee himself a place in an English League One starting line-up. He has only started six league matches this season (although admittedly he was injured at one point). A couple of promising performances, but still very much a bit-part player. Don't get me wrong, I've only been able to watch a few of our matches so far, but I wouldn't necessarily say that Alston has even done enough to guarantee himself a new contract at this stage. Certainly not as a priority above some of the other out-of-contract players. It looks like the Sky Sports 'Goal of the Day' has instantly boosted his profile down south.

I'd agree with this, I think. Hes a useful player to have, but looking at our squad, I'm struggling to put him in the top ten in a "players we'd miss" list.

Odd player.

1 hour ago, The Real Saints said:

Currently involved in an intriguing debate with a Saints fan on Facebook who 'wouldn't class a cross as an assist', therefore giving David Wotherspoon no credit for his recent assist record. Very interesting.

Whats his ‘logic’ behind this one?

I'd be very surprised if four missed penalties in a season isn't a club record; I wonder what the premier/ship record is for a team over a single season?

That one today has been the first one to cost us points. If we'd scored that, I really fancied us to kick on and get the win.

We need to sort this out, as the more attacking style we play this season, with players who like to run at defenders, and putting balls into the box, could well see us get quite a few over the course of the season.

We've had 6 already this season, missing 4, which I would guess is more than we were awarded all of last season.

We missed a lot of penalties in 2000/01 and went through a spell of changing the taker every time then as well.

The pressure is ramped up because of our poor record, which can't help. It was a decent save today but at the right height for the goalkeeper. There is a photo (maybe on BBC report) and you can see Gillespie is already well on his way to his left as Kennedy strikes it. 

Agree it cost us today as I agree we'd have taken something from the game if we'd scored it.

9 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

It’s David Wotherspoon, there’s a certain section of the Saints support that are completely blind to him. There’s a boy in front of me in the East stand that doesn’t stand up if Wotherspoon scores. Genuinely baffling. 

I'm on the fence with him. I think he loves playing for Saints, always gives everything he's got, and is a regular source of assists. 

But he's inconsistent as f**k, and as an experienced player now, I can't remember a single game in his entire time where he's been the catalyst for a comeback, he generally just gets worse when the team is playing poorly, maybe just seems that way as he tries not to hide. You can tell within the first ten minutes what type of game he's going to have.