Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

While I agree he's been superb this season, and still looks more than capable, he turns 35 in the Summer, the same age Mackay had to retire at.
Combine that with the Easton situation, and you worry an injury would end things for him. I'd hate to be starting next season with Foster as the only real right back, and then him picking up a knock that he never recovers from.
I think we all agree Comrie won't replace him, and Shaughnessy is better in the middle. 
Hadn't realised he was 34. So yeah, some cover for him is needed.

So many sliding doors moments in football. He looked a decent player but seems to be playing at level 7 on the English pyramid now. Then you look at Scott Tanser. Hadn't really worked for him at Rochdale and Port Vale and he had an inauspicious start at Saints. If Easton stayed fit, he quite possibly gets let go last summer and it'd be back down south but probably not to a league club. It's a downward spiral at that point. 

Well quite. A guy who was voted worst player at a League 2 team, who signed on up here as short term, cheap cover. What I would say is, it says a lot more about the standard of coaching up here than down south. He was working with former international fullbacks at saints who’ve presumably helped him immeasurably and he now looks a great player at this level.

Saints can take a lot of credit for sticking with him and seeing potential. Whilst it was a signing of necessity, he is a million miles away from the poor, weak, scared kid who played in Vilnius. A definite success story from saints. There will always be times where he gets stick and criticism, but it’s now because we know what he’s really capable of.

Agree completely regarding Tanser. He looked scared in his early days with us, but his confidence is soaring now and he's been excellent in most matches this season (he struggled against James Forrest but who wouldn't). For me he's in the upper tier of players who's futures we need to sort out ASAP as the player we have now will definitely attract interest from outside the club - plenty of bigger fish up here and closer to home for him in England are bound to take a look and you can't not be impressed by the standard he is reaching every week. 

I think most Saints fans thought that Easton would walk back into the team when (if) he can get himself back to fitness. I don't think that's the case now - there's an argument that Tanser is playing to a similar standard as Easton was when he was at his peak. Maybe not as good defensively but going forward he's a better player IMO.

I wonder if we'll try and get Scott Wright on loan from Aberdeen again.

Drey Wright has left us short on wide players, and a loan seems better as we can let them go in the Summer when Wright comes back in to things.

Aberdeen fans ravaging him and that McLennan looks like he's above him the pecking order now.

39 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I wonder if we'll try and get Scott Wright on loan from Aberdeen again.

Drey Wright has left us short on wide players, and a loan seems better as we can let them go in the Summer when Wright comes back in to things.

Aberdeen fans ravaging him and that McLennan looks like he's above him the pecking order now.

You could be onto something there, although I'm not sure Wright will be allowed to go to a team who Aberdeen will see as direct competition in the league (unless we have real dip in form prior to the winter break).

O'Halloran was in the press praising Saints a few weeks ago and it looks like he's only played 52 minutes for Melbourne, albeit he's really struggled with injuries.  Bring him home, I say.

There’s no chance Aberdeen are going to send Wright on loan to a team above or competing with them. Plus I’m not sure he’s that great. You know if we got MoH he’d come with that lazy and infuriating attitude. However he could easily win you 2/3 games off the bench or just changing the dynamics.

26 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Not convinced we need a wide player to be honest, looking at our squad in August everyone thought we were done before Danny #camehome. Only way I can see another signing in the attacking positions is if scougall leaves. 

Certainly don't think a wide player will be priority number one. I'd guess a central midfielder if Nydam/Scougall leave and possibly another full back, depending on the nick of Brian Easton would be ahead of a wide player on Wright's list to Santa.

3 hours ago, Widge said:

There’s no chance Aberdeen are going to send Wright on loan to a team above or competing with them. Plus I’m not sure he’s that great. You know if we got MoH he’d come with that lazy and infuriating attitude. However he could easily win you 2/3 games off the bench or just changing the dynamics.

Why not? We finished above Aberdeen in a battle for the top six, yet they still then loaned us Pawlett. I'd imagine they're wanting to free up some wage to try and improve as it is.

Not convinced O'Halloran is available, he's allegedly not going to be recovered until New Year until it is, and I doubt Melbourne will want to ship him halfway around the world for six months. 

Scougall will probably leave, can easily see one of the relegation battlers seeing him as a positive signing, only issue would be his wages. Nydam will probably leave, be aswell sitting on Ipswichs bench as ours.

I was speaking to an Ipswich fan yesterday who is convinced Nydam will be back to them in January.

Given that’s when his loan ends and he’s not exactly playing, plus the fact they’ve got a different manager from the one who let him go. I think it’s safe to assume he will. Given how little he’s played, I guess one of the young Mc’s simply makes the bench unless we bring another body in.

Clark/Mitchell/Hurst

Foster

Shaughnessy/Kerr/Gordon/Anderson

Tanser

Craig/Davidson/Calllachan

Kennedy/Alston/Wotherspoon/Swanson/Scougall

Watt/McMillan/Kane

Come January, putting it like that makes it obvious where we’re going to need to strengthen. Utility fullback and a central midfielder are a must, if the players expected leave. Wouldn’t be adverse to another striker either, as I just don’t think Chris Kane is going to kick on again.