Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Lets try everything!!  Advertising and marketing does work, otherwise companies won't be spending a fortune on it.  Sitting back and saying it wont work for us is the Scottish pessimistic way. Keep pushing forward with advertising and social media improvements.  Aim it at the youngsters, they will drag their parents along - if they moan loud enough!!

It doesn't matter at all in a "look at our great attendances way". 
My only worry would be if there was no improvement at all in home crowds despite playing well and winning, the chairman/ manager will realise there is absolutely nothing that will bring more fans along, and get a dose of the fuckums and lose all ambition for the club.
I don't believe there will continue to be no improvement if we carry on the way we've been playing, I'm optimistic that gradually more locals will come and see what all the fuss is about.  However, if not, I wouldn't blame the manager for not wanting to sign a new contract, and the chairman for limiting spending on players wages to an absolute minimum in future.

Shit home crowds will have a detrimental affect on players willing to sign for us if it gets any worse.
Playing in an empty stadium every week must be pretty soul destroying when your playing well.

7 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

Who even are you?

7 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

Let’s all get kegs from Inveralmond and have a kegger. Cheeky kegger with all the lads.

Keep jobs in Perth,  more chance of them or their kids watching Saints. If Tennents open a brewery in Perth then aye get those fuckers roped in too, as it is they're all old firm wankers from Glasgow. 

Brewdog was alright 6/7 years ago when it was a small craft company who put the beer first. Since they opened a second bar in Edinburgh they’re nowhere near as packed as they used to be. Inveralmond is definitely a better brewery right now in terms of producing quality.

Either way I don’t understand sometimes why he club don’t open up the bar inside the main stand to fans as well. I’ve been turned away from the Muirton cause it’s full well over half an hour before kick off as well.

Lets try everything!!  Advertising and marketing does work, otherwise companies won't be spending a fortune on it.  Sitting back and saying it wont work for us is the Scottish pessimistic way. Keep pushing forward with advertising and social media improvements.  Aim it at the youngsters, they will drag their parents along - if they moan loud enough!!

It’s pretty clear to me that the club isn’t willing to spend the necessary cash on a long-term, well thought out marketing programme.

For me hiring one guy to run the media side isn’t enough (and I don’t think it’s particularly fair that he’s being slaughtered on here and elsewhere for the current output given we don’t know what restraints he’s working under) - there needs to be a full marketing/comms team, probably consisting of at least three/four people over and above what is there just now, with a budget to spend.

I do PR work for a company that has half the turnover that Saints do in a very niche market. They employ one person full time running social media, have me doing their press stuff, are part owned by a guy who owns a major marketing firm down south and have a team of staff from that firm working on their marketing.

Football clubs are in a unique position where virtually anything they do will get in the local press, probably the national press too, and they’re guaranteed a large social media following. There’s no excuse for not getting the message out there to the people who have an interest in hearing it.

Invest in it and you’ll see a return in the long term. We also need to make it easier for people to give the club their money, something that is staggeringly hard just now.

Also think the league could do more in terms of marketing the game as a whole in Scotland (they are starting to do this to an extent) but that’s not really our issue.

It’s pretty clear to me that the club isn’t willing to spend the necessary cash on a long-term, well thought out marketing programme.

For me hiring one guy to run the media side isn’t enough (and I don’t think it’s particularly fair that he’s being slaughtered on here and elsewhere for the current output given we don’t know what restraints he’s working under) - there needs to be a full marketing/comms team, probably consisting of at least three/four people over and above what is there just now, with a budget to spend.

I do PR work for a company that has half the turnover that Saints do in a very niche market. They employ one person full time running social media, have me doing their press stuff, are part owned by a guy who owns a major marketing firm down south and have a team of staff from that firm working on their marketing.

Football clubs are in a unique position where virtually anything they do will get in the local press, probably the national press too, and they’re guaranteed a large social media following. There’s no excuse for not getting the message out there to the people who have an interest in hearing it.

Invest in it and you’ll see a return in the long term. We also need to make it easier for people to give the club their money, something that is staggeringly hard just now.

Also think the league could do more in terms of marketing the game as a whole in Scotland (they are starting to do this to an extent) but that’s not really our issue.
3 or 4 people in PR/marketing department with a budget to spend. That's going to cost about 100k per annum.
Do you really think the club will see attendances go up by enough to justify that investment?
That's an awful lot of season tickets.

3 or 4 people in PR/marketing department with a budget to spend. That's going to cost about 100k per annum.

Do you really think the club will see attendances go up by enough to justify that investment?

That's an awful lot of season tickets.

Try £150-200k to do it properly. That’s approximately 3.5-5% of the club’s turnover to put that in context. And that’s a total figure-I assume we’re probably already spending 50k plus a year overall on PR and marketing. So maybe 100k or so more.

That total budget equates to about 8000 additional paying adults per season. Or, in other words, 400 per game.

Our attendance on Saturday was 2150 approximately. If it had been 2550 would that have been a massively over the top, unrealistic crowd? I don’t think so. It would still be pretty small historically speaking.

Bear in mind, matchday ticket sales are only a fraction of the places they’d be looking to drive revenue.

When you saw the job description for the role that Gary Henderson has got, it was three or four jobs rolled into one. It was social media/website, it was marketing/sales, it was producing a programme and it was admin-based in creating a supporters database as well. I see yesterday he was talking to a group of students from Middlesex. That's another strand of it and makes me assume he's got a schools/community aspect to his role as well, presumably what Megan Moss did?

Does anyone have strengths in ALL those areas? I listened to his interview on HRP and he clearly likes writing (which I assume led to the magazine) but to do that (writing) and everything else just seems an impossible workload.

There is a group of lapsed supporters out there (the crowds we used to get show that) but it's 2018 and, rightly or wrongly, they aren't just going to come back, the club need to engage with them; it's the society we live in. Telling folk they aren't proper fans or whatever doesn't help anyone.

1 hour ago, ali_91 said:

Going for our record consecutive top flight wins a week on Saturday lads. #bubblehasburst

We've now had 5 runs of 5 consecutive victories in the top flight. Two under Willie Ormond, one under Steve Lomas and two under Tommy Wright.

We've beaten st Mirren in all five runs. I don't know the significance of this fact, but I feel people should be aware of it.

6 hours ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Investment is important but so is using time and the current resources wisely. How many hours do you think were wasted producing and relaunching a magazine that nobody needed in their lives, only to then go and limit its circulation even more by slapping a £5 price tag on it, when that time could easily have been spent on getting the basics right and making small improvements that will have a much higher impact.

5 hours ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Try £150-200k to do it properly. That’s approximately 3.5-5% of the club’s turnover to put that in context. And that’s a total figure-I assume we’re probably already spending 50k plus a year overall on PR and marketing. So maybe 100k or so more.

That total budget equates to about 8000 additional paying adults per season. Or, in other words, 400 per game.

Our attendance on Saturday was 2150 approximately. If it had been 2550 would that have been a massively over the top, unrealistic crowd? I don’t think so. It would still be pretty small historically speaking.

Bear in mind, matchday ticket sales are only a fraction of the places they’d be looking to drive revenue.

Those figures you've posted seem more accurate than the posters that you replied to. 

At Killie, Phyllis McLeish has just stuck £200k into our coffers to sort out the marketing & online ticketing side of the club

3 hours ago, Radford said:

When you saw the job description for the role that Gary Henderson has got, it was three or four jobs rolled into one. It was social media/website, it was marketing/sales, it was producing a programme and it was admin-based in creating a supporters database as well. I see yesterday he was talking to a group of students from Middlesex. That's another strand of it and makes me assume he's got a schools/community aspect to his role as well, presumably what Megan Moss did?

Does anyone have strengths in ALL those areas? I listened to his interview on HRP and he clearly likes writing (which I assume led to the magazine) but to do that (writing) and everything else just seems an impossible workload.

Obviously resources are going to be tight at the club for employing an additional person. That makes Gary's job even more difficult. 

Is their no possibility the club could use some students that need work experience (sorry Tam). There are three universities reasonably close by, many interns work on a voluntary basis in the hope of getting a decent reference. Bring a couple in get them to work on some marketing campaigns and give them a small amount of money for executing them. If it works great  and if it doesn't then the club hasn't missed out on much. 

Obviously resources are going to be tight at the club for employing an additional person. That makes Gary's job even more difficult. 
Is their no possibility the club could use some students that need work experience (sorry Tam). There are three universities reasonably close by, many interns work on a voluntary basis in the hope of getting a decent reference. Bring a couple in get them to work on some marketing campaigns and give them a small amount of money for executing them. If it works great  and if it doesn't then the club hasn't missed out on much. 

Putting the public face of the club in the hands of unpaid, inexperienced volunteers is just as likely to backfire badly as it is to yield results.

I experienced Geoff's loathing of forking out for advertising in my Perth days. Steve's obviously inherited the family gene.  Saints horrific approach to the entire marketing function yet again belies the cry that they are just another business nowadays. Which other prominent national multi-million pound turnover company wouldn't have a proper marketing set up. We'll need to play Damascus away for there to be any major change in policy though.

5 hours ago, hamicle said:

As a professional business Saints should really be employing people to do these jobs, not hoping to get by on volunteers and goodwill all the time. 

6 hours ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Putting the public face of the club in the hands of unpaid, inexperienced volunteers is just as likely to backfire badly as it is to yield results.

It's not as if huge companies don't do the same thing though. Give Gary an intern (could even be a paid one), Gary gets the final sign off on an idea and then a higher up has to sign of his ideas I'd presume.